Guest viewing is limited

TKR Right TKR is done

@zzevi , you are from that 'famous' beach area around here. (blushing) although I'm not sure it still is open. Our radio guys here always have fun with that. I've been through there a few times.
Did you have surgery at Sauk City or Madison? One of the farmers in the county on our fair board had bilateral done at Sauk City and did quite well.
Was your opening determined to be a seroma? I'm sorry that you ended up with an infection. I appreciate having a friend in my 'neighborhood ' to visit with here too.
I'm doing more reading today and getting ready for the appt. Also have the furnace off, windows open on Feb 19 and 60+ degrees being enjoyed while watching the Badgers basketball.
 
Well, my news is that I will be having surgery on my left knee again on Wednesday and not a tkr as hoped and planned for. He was not about to hear anything else but said we will open up the small area on the top of the incision on my thigh side and clean it out and then insert some drains. He said all cultures came back negative but that was expected since I have been on antibiotics for a week.
I pleaded with him to assure me that I could get surgery on my right knee as soon as possible. It hurts me more and more and even woke me up in the night because I couldn't find a comfort zone. All will depend on my healing of the new incision on Wednesday. I am now praying that there are no surprises when they open up my incision. Thank you all. Putting all this in the Lord's hands to get me through this disappointment and bring me to the place and time that is "right" for my rtkr.
 
I am so sorry to hear that things are not going well. I will send positive thoughts your way and keep us posted.

Just wondering, is it weeping a clear liquid and not crusting over?
 
Please be sure they take cultures and an infectious disease dr is growing/analyzing the cultures. It took three days to grow my cultures. They put me on an IV antibiotic (don't remember which one) until the cultures were done, then the ID prescribed two antibiotics. One IV and one oral.

My surgery was a washout/debridement/spacer exchange, so the OS went al the way down to the implant, removed the spacer and put a new one in. He scrubbed my tissue with antibiotic wash twice and closed it up. Mine was an emergency surgery, totally unplanned with a surgeon I had never seen before. There was pain upon getting up the first time, but in a few days that pain subsided and was nothing like the pain from TKR surgery.

This doesn't mean your surgery or after care will be like mine, but I would be sure an infectious disease Dr is on board. If your are placed on antibiotics an ID will have blood work done that will help to know how your body is fighting a possible infection and how the rest of your body is handling the meds.

Good news, my infection was serious, however I had the washout surgery Nov 27 and was back to teaching part time by January 29th. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Again, your situation does not sound as serious as mine, but I think it's always wise to act if there's a question about infection.
 
@RMasano my spot was just about the diameter of a round tootbpick. I wL try to post a pic soon. The fluid that came out was a light yellow-orange color. It really wasn't a lot, UT when you squeezed it, more would come out. Originally ally there was a dark little scab there and when that came lose then it would flow out easier and in between showers to start it would kind of 'seal' over, but as soon as I took a warm shower and wash cloth to the area it was open again and I had to cover it so that I wouldn't get a wet spot on my pant leg. It hasn't been bloody, thick or foul smelling ever, just a thin liquid.
@KarriB I still am not real certain about how my surgery will go. I am of the understanding that where the hole is, he will open the in is ion on either side and Che k to see what ma be going on inside, clean it , insert drains and close it up so it will heal up. All of course depends on if or what is discovered.
 
So not nearly as intrusive as mine. It is a good idea to find out what's going on. Ask if he will take tissue cultures while in there. I believe those are better than aspiration cultures. If there will be tissue cultures taken then you want an ID involved, so that's another question you may want to ask.
 
@KarriB Thank you for that recommendation. That is good to think about with the tissue that I hadn't even thought about. I will go into my surgery wiser now. I really don't know what tomorrow will bring, but will keep all the wisdom you have all shared with me. Praying that this works out for me to move on to my right knee soon.
 
Please be assertive and make sure you discuss all these things with your surgeon before you go under for your surgery. These ladies know what they are talking about and have your best interest in mind. And also, please let us know what happens tomorrow. You are in my prayers.
 
When you wash your leg don't use a wash cloth. When it seals over it is making your body's own dressing. That's he best way to allow it to heal. I'm hoping that he finds no problems and you can move on to get your other knee done soon.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not really sure if my wound on my incision ever really had a name, I believe it all started after surgery with having my drain tube removed to soon, I was having a bit of drainage and from one shift change to another, one nurse said it couldn't be removed and the other said oh not much fluid we can remove that. ( it had only been emptied a couple hrs prior and I was to out of it to speak up, and wanting to go home left it be removed.) I then had this like pocket of fluid that developed to the side of the actual incision. When the staples were removed I had bleeding to the point I dirty my compression stocking and had to have a ace wrap and dressing applied to get thru p/t that day, dumb on my part to take in p/t right after staple removal. It seemed that that area was just always stressed from being swollen and exercised and my not doing a good job of elevating and icing in the beginning. In hind sight there is things I could have done to maybe ward off the problems I did ended up having.
Less p/t and stressing of the knee joint, more icing and elevation, more resting and not being so stir crazy to resume my lifestyle. As time went on and I found this site, started to be vocal about issues, I started to make good improvements, but by that time I did have a opening on my incision that was getting deeper, and wider. My surgeon during this time was out of his office for personal reasons and p/t would often call over to get advice about my wound, but no one ever cared to take the time to see me, other than p/t and again in hindsight I think I should have seeked out medical help prior to when it did finally occur. I placed my faith in others and gave up on my gut feelings telling me things weren't right, even family and friends questioned things about my incision, but I was being monitored and believed all that I was being told.
So go with your gut feelings on how things are going, if you aren't getting answers, seek out answers from health care professionals.
Make sure at this point they are testing and looking for infections and such, I was told for bathing to keep my covered after I got infection and not to even let bath/shower water run over it.
Keep us in the loop.
In answers to your other questions, probably live about 5 miles from the famous nude beach, which isn't there or being used to my knowledge any longer.
I had my surgery at our local hospital, not in Madison.
 
Thanks everyone. I leave for the hospital in an hour or so. Didn't really sleep last night -more like rested. Saw way too many hours on the clock. This is an odd feeling to not really know what I'm getting into, but am not afraid to ask questions and advocate for myself. All of you great friends have given me the courage and strength . I hope to have a report for you in a day or so. Bless you all for your kindness.
 
I went in not knowing if I'd come out with my TKR or a spacer, so I know what you mean. When I woke up the first I asked was if I still had the TKR.

Please let us know how things go. I'll be praying for you.
 
Made it through the surgery ok. Woke up in pain. Have it managed now. My son says they went into the subcutaneous part of the skin but left the knee cavity alone. There is a drain coming out of the incision and I will be staying overnight in the hospital. Don't know much more but so happy this part is over. Thank you for your prayers. I'm ready to start healing so my rtkr can get done. I'm ready for some rest.
 
So glad you are out of surgery. Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery and that your next surgery will be soon.
 
Good that you are out of surgery. I hope there is no infection.
 
Good to hear from you and will be thinking of you. :yes: Get that rest and stay ahead of the pain
 
I hope you get some sleep tonight. I'm happy to hear that your surgery went well.
 
I'm glad the surgery is over.

Do make sure that you ask a lot of questions before you are discharged. For example:

What, exactly did you have to do?
How deep was the infection?
What does the surgeon think caused it?
Were tissues cultures taken?
How long will I have the drain?
Will I have to take antibiotics?
 
Glad to hear you're through the surgery. It sounds positive that he didn't have to go very deep. I'm going to hold on to those positive thoughts for you!! Take care of yourself and try to rest.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom