TKR Right TKR is done

Great report @GingerP , I’m spacing out the pain medicine to every 8 hours or so, trying to be off of them during the day by week 3. I may still need one at night for a while longer. When I went for my 2 week appointment the OS said they didn’t expect people to be completely off pain medicine at this point, but to start tapering down. I think I started driving at 4 weeks last time, hopefully I will be ready at 4 weeks this time.
 
Greetings @sistersinhim @jboles @amymj. I am surprised how well I feel off the tramadol today. Been icing, elevating and did the steps downstairs to the mailbox today.
I think why I was still on pain meds and having more trouble a year ago with the tkr aftermath is, the other darn leg was very bad as well. I knew that my pt was compromised because at one time I was trying to do one exercise and I had to put my right leg out on the floor because I had no strength and couldn't bear the pain from 'working' the 'bad' leg. Now the left leg is strong and getting the right leg 'in line' just isn't so bad. I'm praying it all continues. I have one spot on the top of the bend of the knee that kind of pinches when I pull the leg back so when the pt massaged the incision yesterday, she said it could be a spots of scar tissue, so will need to try to do some massaging on it.
I was released to drive last time because it was my left leg and it may seem silly, but this time I fell so much stronger and wouldn't think that at 3 weeks plus, i might get the go ahead.....and yes, I did see if I could get in the car and it did feel good and go well. We are to get snow over the weekend so I'm ready to stay put and take the taxi next week until the go ahead comes my way.
I understand the feeling of enough tv and talk shows....even my crochet project doesn't last for long......one day....keep on healing dear friends.
 
Did a bit of vac today and felt good to 'erase' the lines the walker left in the carpet in the living room! Also threw the wash down the stairs and did a load as I went dowN to get the mail. Now in the dryer and waiting for that to get done. Time to ice and elevate. :)
It's been a dark and dreary day today so it's been very hard to focus on much. Just now tiny flakes of snow are falling, so I guess winter is still in control.
No tramadol and only Tylenol is going ok. Bed at night is still a challenge but I'm giving it all my 'try' and not wanting to give in to the lift chair. Been able to sleep on my side in bed and that feels good on the back. Keeping the faith that things are healing and I keep making progress.
First knee seemed like week 3 was tough. I hate when memories like that come back and I don't want to go there......I'm enjoying knee #2 so much better. Guess I put in my dues the first time around. :)
 
@GingerP, you have great numbers! And great news about the cane.

Last year when I started driving on my new right knee, I would put the car in park at red lights. Saved having to hold down the brake pedal.
 
@MSgirl that's a great idea! Seems wierd that with a bad knee we drove everywhere and once it's fixed, we have to come up with new ways to cope.
When I sat on the edge of the car seat, I realized I needed to push the seat back a bit, they I swung the right knee in and it was not too terrible. Think it hurt more before surgery. I understand having the flexibility toover between the brake and gas, but I would just stay in town.
My mom lives 22 miles,away and we stocked up with things before my surgery and neighbors have helped with hair appts and getting her milk, so she is getting along fine without me running errands.
 
That is a good idea @MSgirl Last year my left knee wasn’t a problem with driving, I’ve been concerned about driving with the right one. I’m still taking one Percocet during the day, maybe I can give it up next week. Then I’ll think about driving. @GingerP you have been busy today. Vacuum the floors and doing laundry , in the same day, I’m impressed :wowspring:
 
It's 3 weeks and a day. Therapy today I could get my knee/leg up on a higher step and bend was at 108. I was rather surprised at how in a week it was easier to get my foot up without a lot of tugging on my pant leg.
Looking forward to seeing the Dr on Thursday and hopefully I get permission to drive again.
We had snow overnight and the taxi driver had quite a time negotiating corners on some streets. Glad I wasn't out there doing it today!! And, getting back into socializing because I saw a number of folks I hadn't seen in quite some time. It was an hour after therapy before I got back home.......score!
I hope all of you are healing and doing well. So far, I have not had too many issues.
 
You are doing so well! Hopefully, by next week, that snow will be gone so you can drive anywhere you want. Do your streets get plowed? I realize that it was someone else's page that I asked you about cheese curds. I checked out the website of your cheese store. It looks great but I wondered what a cheese curd is and if they are any good. Would you recommend them?
 
Ginger you really are doing well. I’m sure you’ll be glad when the snow is gone and you’re able to drive. I’m looking forward to getting my freedom back too.
 
@MSgirl - so glad you checked out the cheese store - and yes to let the world know what a cheese curd is, before the cheese makers press the pieces of cheese together, they are called curds. However, there are some places that sell 'curds' that are rectangular or squares - good old Wisconsin cheese curds are odd shapes, some flat, round, long, etc. We claim that they are best fresh when they are 'squeaky' when you eat them!
I know, not about a tkr, but cheese packs a bunch of protein which is good in healing. :)
Happy thoughts and good day of healing to all.
 
We recommend while healing that you eat a lot of protein. If it's cheese, well great, eat up! Just know that cheese can be constipating, so eat fiber with it!
 
Certainly, cheese AND crackers and fruit and vegetables -together!!
 
Today is a celebration day for me....yep, permission granted to drive. (Big 'ol smile) Not to waste an opportunity, I took the car out for a few errands and got milk before a storm coming our way tonight!! It was so nice......saw some folks to visit with, and felt so much like a 'real' person again. Little victory -yes!
Today. I thought I'd ask my dear new wonderful OS (can't say enough good things about this guy really different from my last OS) about his thoughts on how I have done. He was very open that he took the time to get to know me, I was a compliant patient and with the knee that I had that was 'shot' he studied my x-rays to find the right solution to getting me good results. He told me that this process will take me a good year. When I asked about how long I should be doing therapy, he said he wasn't big on PT, felt people do just as well "living" their life at home. Now, there is Bone Smart good news!!
He told me that it is up to me and PT to decide how long I would like to go. I told them at PT and they said, I'm close to being done. My knee bend was better today than Tuesday at 111. I can only get my other knee to 114, so there you go. We did some work on balance items, but in the next week or so, I may be completely on my own.
This being my second knee and having "2" good knees has made a big difference in this rehab. I have bether confidence and feel stable. I had an idea of what to expect. I'm far from 'done'. This is a long journey but I'm so pleased at this point.
Bless all of you in your healing today. Stay safe.
 
I SO wish my surgeon was like yours! It would have reduced a lot of my stress!

I’m glad you’re doing so well this time!
 
@GingerP, how great it must be to be behind the wheel! I'm hoping that when my home PT comes tomorrow to discharge me that we'll go out for a "test drive" and then I'll be good to go also. Right now I am sick of staying home! Your dr. sounds wonderful and with your numbers, also very skilled. Let me know what you decide to do about outpatient PT.
 
Yippee! You are free to drive! That is a huge step forward! You go, girl!
 
@GingerP fantastic report :dancy: and driving too!! I haven’t been brave enough to try driving yet. Your OS sounds wonderful, I wish they all were like that. I love my OS, but he’s still old school in regards to PT.
 
@jboles , I had to be off all my prescribed pain meds and get permission from the dr to drive. Lord knows if I could have before I would have but that wouldn't have been good if something happened without the Dr saying it was ok.
Your time is coming. Day by day we are all getting to a much happier healthier place to start enjoying life once again!
 
It's wonderful that your right knee is being such an angel. You deserve it after all you went through with your left. Having a compassionate and knowledgeable surgeon makes so much difference. My OS is a lot like yours, and I love him to pieces. Your recovery this time around is inspirational.

I'm a Wisconsin girl, too, and heartily advocate for cheese as essential to a good recovery. :wink: If nothing else, my OS said I have great bones. And cheese curds ain't cheese curds if they aren't fat and squiggly. Every time I fly back from Wausau, I bring some home with me.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom