TKR Right TKR is done

Hello everyone! I have just power read through this entire post and I must say - whew!! What an experience Ginger! I have been told I need a right knee replacement but I have not yet seen a surgeon or anything that advanced. I had a hip replacement four years ago and that was fine. Now looking forward to a good knee. I'm horning in on your discussion because of the cheese curds. I am from Quebec, in Canada and I grew up in cheese curd country. So good! Our favourite way of using them (except for at room temp out of hand) is in poutine. That's on french fries, sprinkle a few cheese curds and cover with gravy. The cheese gets a little melty and the result is an ooey gooey mess of deliciousness. That's all I wanted to say, oh and Ginger - to wish you a continued great healing on this right knee.
 
@grandma chris , when I had my hip surgery they said, they were easier than knees. Thinking back, my first hip, I was in the hospital 8 days. 2nd hip, 4 days, and my first knee, I was home in 24 hrs after surgery, but 2nd knee was 3 days after surgery. I had really good luck with my hips. You know how #1 knee challenged me, but this one has been like a dream. Sadly, there is a place in the back of my head where I ' wonder' if/when something will happen with this knee. I'm praying that it won't, but I am not as sure after #1!
I am so tickled that you too are a cheese curd fan!! They are just so good - in just about any and every way - especially the gooey delicious way!
My best thing with this knee was finding a most wonderful surgeon who has dealt with all the things that didn't work right on #1 and embrace getting me to enjoy a new healthy knee.
 
Today I have 'graduated ' from PT at the hospital . Yippee. The therapist was very good to share with me different exercises I can do to continue to strengthen my #1 tkr and continue to get stronger in general. My first tkr is still a little weak as I have to pull on my pant leg to get my leg in the car. It's nice that the PT facilities are open to Sr. Citizens at 7 to 8 am, noon and 4 to 5 pm for a dollar a day. We can use any of the equipment for that hour and come which ever day of the week or all 5 if we want. I'm looking forward to doing that on my own now.
I also did the elipitical machine for a minute and the bike for 4 minutes. My bend got up to 117 today too. Straight leg was 2 so still need to work on stretching the hamstring and calf muscles.
I'm a pretty happy camper today as a year ago today, I had surgery to repair the tiny hole in my #1 incision which was the start to a second hole, followed by 8 months until that incision healed after the second surgery. Had things been different, #2 would have been done a year ago....but as it is, I'm very happy that things are the way they are now.
Continued healing to all you bone smart friends!
 
Yay for you! :wowspring:What an amazing report! After such a long journey you can see the finish line.
 
Yes it seems the finish line is finally in sight. You’ve had such a long road with knee #1, I’m so happy for you that knee #2 has behaved so well.
 
Happy graduation! What a blessing this recovery has been compared to your last one. I'm sure you are thrilled!
 
@GingerP, congratulations! What a great resource you have at your PT facility. But an elliptical machine? Wow. You are sounding like a real jock!

If badges were given out for the trials and tribulations of certain events, your chest would be full. And you have earned them. Somehow you have kept your spirits up and there is no telling how many people you have helped along the way. Now you are reaping the rewards and how great it is for all of us to celebrate with you.

P.S. My cheese curds are supposed to come tomorrow!
 
wowza GingerP ~ your flexion is fantastic at this early stage as is your function. wonderful report and i agree with MSgirl that you have kept your spirits up and you have undoubtedly helped a lot of people by sharing your journey.:flwrysmile:
 
@GingerP, the cheese arrived! It was warm (it's hot here) but I put it right in the refrigerator and think it will be fine. My husband wanted to know about what it was and when I told him cheese curds, he went into this whole explanation about cheese is made. He is from Georgia and has never been to a cheese factory! I'm going to show him the pictures from Gile's website so he'll understand. Thank you again for giving me their name. You now need to try grits.
 
@MSgirl I'm so happy you got the cheese. I'm sure they will be fine. I was told they have some kind of insulating packing material to assist with shipping.
I will have to consider those grits....I'm sure if they are prepared correctly they would be better than the mush I tried.
Cheese is universal, but you will enjoy good Wisconsin cheese in those curds.
Continued good healing to you as well!!
 
Today I went to exercise on my own at PT. I worked up a sweat even! Found it so fun that the PT director stopped by when I was exercising and asked that I had 'already' graduated and was working on my own...seemed surprised. ..as I guess I am at just 6 weeks. Not at all like I did with knee 1, but I had a bad knee still after 1. So, this time recuperating both knees are stronger.
My problem with 1 is I don't have strength getting it into the car without pulling on my pant leg. Therapist said it's in my hip flexor and gave me exercises to do and today, I tried to resist tugging at the pant leg and it did come along, slow but sure.....which I appreciate.
We are having terrific temps here in Wisconsin today - upper 50s! I shut off the furnace and opened a few windows to let the 'winter air' out......since it seems to feel like Spring! But sure enough on Thursday which is March 1st we are to get snow.....Guess it's coming in like a lion here. ....
 
I have problems with the hip flexor muscles too, both sides. Both legs are weak. PT had given me exercises also, just add to my list:tiredwheel: I’m impressed that you’re released from PT, you’re doing so well.
 
You're doing so well this time, Ginger, and that's great!
A ROM of 117/2 at only 6 weeks is fantastic. An extension of 2 is so close to fully straight that it's hardly worth worrying about. You have plenty of time - a full year - for it to continue to improve.

Don't worry about muscle strength, either. It will come. Just give it time.

I'm so glad this TKR is doing so well, after the setbacks you had with the first one. :yes!: :yay: :happydance: :flwrysmile:
 
@GingerP, you are an inspiration! Wow, you worked up a sweat. That is impressive! Next thing we'll hear is that you have a phone strapped to your arm with ear buds in your ears. That's what I see those young, skinny women who jog do. They may even offer you a job. By the way, on knee #1, my right one, I had to lift my leg into the car for awhile. No biggie. This time I'm moving the seat all the way back and trying to get leftie in by itself. Not exactly happening yet...
 
BTW, I can't believe you turned off the heat and opened the windows when your temps are only in the 50's. You all are made a lot tougher up there!
 
Way to go Ginger! You are nailing this recovery!
 
Ginger, I really think as your newest knee gets better you'll be more active and walking more which will build those muscles.
 
@KarriB , it seems that as I'm going in to exercise on my own at the PT facilities I can get in and out of the car easier. I think my first knee didn't really get a strong recovery due to the wound vac and the bad right knee. It feels like both knees are getting stronger and I'm gaining some stamina too. Another benefit, I see other patients getting better and have a chance to visit with 'the locals ' and catch up on any news in town......aka - gossip! Better than the newspaper sometimes!
 
PT was my social time and a BIG reason I loved it! My TKR and infection happened during the Polar Vortex so I didn’t get out much. Walking intentionally and building up slowly has really helped build the muscles in my legs. I’m sure once you’re further along in recovery you’ll notice better muscle tone and mobility.
 
Having two good knees now makes a huge difference! It's great to hear how well you are doing!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom