TKR Right TKR is done

@SusieShoes , thank you for your kind words regarding this knee. Yes, finding a wonderful OS has made this experience so good for me. I would recommend him to everyone!
Wisconsin cheese curds are so fun! I don't think there is a county fair in the state that doesn't serve them. Our local Kiwanis organization has a stand in our fair and it often has to close early because they run out!!
Glad to know you are a Wisconsin connected gal. And, you going to Wausau, from where I live, that's "up north" affectionately! :)
I appreciate this recovery so much, but let it be known, I also have it on the back of my head, that 2 months - after I thought I was having a good recovery on #1, things changed drastically. I am not past that point yet, but it's hard to think that things truly will continue on this good path. I feel like I put in my dues for #1, so it's time to enjoy something good. Praying it continues!
 
The righ doctor makes a huge difference. I’m so happy things are progressing so well!
 
I guess I am making a little progress at nearly 4 weeks....I slept in the bed all night! Although I got up and a couple of times for a bathroom break, it was back to bed and back to sleep. Yeah! A night victory!
 
Yay, back you your own bed all night long! It seems potty breaks are the norm for us girls. But, being after to go back to sleep afterwards is great, especially in your own bed!
 
Yay for staying in bed all night! It sure does make you feel better the next day.
 
Sleeping through the night even with bathroom breaks is HUGE! Good for you!
 
Last night was tough. Got sleep between 10 -2 am and then after 5:30 am I was sleeping like a baby. Tough thing my PT was at 8:30 this morn. I made it, but I'm tires today. Measured my bend at 113 today. Better than last time, so I guess little by little it's coming. My other knee only goes to 114 so I'm just about the same.
Been nice to know I can go in the car when I want. Yesterday took my 89 to mom out shopping and was in and out of the car probably 6 or 7 times. That still isn't as fluid as I'd like, but it will continue to get better. Today I have a lunch meeting and after an errand to run, but coming home to put my leg up as soon as I can.
Things are getting better, here and there, but not all at the same time yet......soon, hopefully.
 
Ginger, I can relate for sure. I am 4 1/2 weeks out and I have the same issues
 
You are doing an awful lot for such a short time out. No wonder you had a hard time sleeping. Be sure to rest all you can for the next few days.
 
In early recovery there are just going to days like this. :gaah: Nights with little sleep. PT that doesn’t seem to produce much by way of results. Swelling. Stiffness. Our knees are tooling along doing their own thing and we’re just along for the ride, so sometimes our schedules don’t quite mesh.

You’re doing great, you know. That flexion at just one month out... beautiful. And how wonderful that you can take your mother shopping already! Just listen to your knee and take care not to overdo it just yet, so you can continue to have nice outings this early on. :)
 
Ginger, you really are doing great. We all want everything to be back to normal as soon as possible, but just think back to where you were only 4 weeks ago, see how far you’ve come? Out shopping already, I’m impressed!!! Just don’t overdo, the ODIC isn’t a fun club!
 
@GingerP, I placed an order for cheese! Thank you so much for the information. What a great day you must have had with your mom. And you did get a little sleep. Super! It sounds like your bend is doing really well, too.
 
Wow! Shopping at just a month post op may have been a bit much for your new knee. I hope you can get a few days of rest now.
 
Today was my second to last PT session. The therapist said there were a list of goals she was going to check today and see how I was doing. Got the knee bent to 115. Check. Checked my strength by resisting my leg and that was goid. Check. Asked if I have been doing foot over foot on stairs at home -and just today, did them going downstairs and did just fine to my own surprise. Check. Measured my straight leg and I was a 3 today.....not 0 but she said that won't hold me up from being released. I did a lot of steps yesterday and I think that may have been my problem with that...plus it has been slow to release the tension in the muscle on the outside of my shin.
So.....if all goes well, I will be done with PT outpatient on Thursday. I do find it a little easier getting in and out of the car - so I guess at 5 weeks, I'm not complaining.
 
Yay! You're doing wonderfully for 5 weeks! You have the whole knee rock star thing going. :happydance: That 3 extension will gradually get to 0. I had a similar knee. At five weeks it was 2 and at five months it was 0. The only things I did for it were walking and few quad presses, where I used only my muscles to push the knee flat against my ottoman while I was watching TV. It just takes some time to stretch those big, tough hamstring tendons back to full length. Your PT knows this, so... go you!
 
i'm so happy for you GingerP, especially after all you endured after your first knee replacement. your range of motion is excellent, your flexion at 5 weeks probably the same as mine at 10 months post op. :wowspring: it will be good to get on with your life once you don't have to go to p.t. anymore.
 
Yippee! What a wonderful report! You are an inspiration! You waited long enough for this new knee and now it's doing great for you!
 
Ah, GingerP, you are our hero and an inspiration! I am so glad that you are moving on down the road. The week of January 15th was a good one for a lot of us and I know I'll not forget that date. By the way, I got an email from Gile's Cheese Store today. My order was picked up and the cheese curds should arrive soon. Thanks so much for the referral. Now to figure out what to do with them!
 
@MSgirl - you will love the curds! We just eat them at room temp, with our meal. Around here they also put a batter on them and fry them in oil. Delicious hot and gooey. There are probably recipes on the internet.
Thank you all for the good words on my recovery. I am very pleased at this tkr recovery for sure. If experience had been reversed, it would have been more devastating. However , I did my challenge first and have been enjoying how this tkr has gone. Having a good strong knee from #1 has made recovery easier too I think because I was dealing with terrible pain from my non tkr knee in recovery last time too. Now, with 2 good ones, I find myself doing stairs one foot over the other easier and finally, I have been sleeping ALL night in bed at 5 weeks. Sleep is delightful.
@SusieShoes the PT said my straight leg will come in time and I know that has been my difficulty from day one. They told me it won't hold me back, so I'm happy about that.
Blessings to all of you and your kind comments. I appreciate that!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom