Guest viewing is limited

TKR Right TKR is done

@Spiritstik don't flip out. Some of the things that some of us have been through aren't the nicest outcomes we had been hoping for. At two months post surgery I was planning nine my second tkr and had no thoughts in the world that things would turn out different like they are now.
My suggestion is to keep an eye on it, but my situation was obviously different from the start. Due to my layers of skin and me carrying a thick layer of fat on my thigh area that upper part of my incision was a problem. I've been told it's like a dead space between layers that needs to adhere to each other and where it is located is a little more difficult due to the constant moving of my knee/leg. Everyone has faith that it will heal. It's just going to take time.
There are lots of reasons for things on the incision lind, so just keep an eye on it.
I'm hoping the rest of your recovery goes well. In the long run, my tkr was done well. I'm thankful everyday that it was done. I just need the right one done as soon as I can get healed. That day will come. I just have to be very patient! !
 
Heard from the wound nurse here in town this morning and she is ready for me to come for dressing change on Friday. I'm so looking forward to having another person looking at what I have going on and see if they have some different knowledge and/or ideas to assist me in healing. I'm ready to see if this can get me healed soon. Is it too much to hope by Labor Day? That would be another 2 months......maybe. Happy 4th to all.
 
I'm praying for your complete healing.
 
I'm wishing the best for you, Ginger. Although it was a shock for you, I think that opening up your wound was the right thing to do and, hopefully, it will help to speed up your healing.
 
Had my Dr visit today. Regular dr is gone for 2 weeks so had the other who I have seen a few times. She is kind and doesn't do such forceful debriement, yet looked it all over. The tissue looks good and depth they say is 1.7 cm so that has closed up some.......it was 4 cm plus when first opened so I guess there is some positive after all. I see the wound use here in town on Friday, so I'm excited to see her approach h. It seems ea h nurse approaches the dressing process just a bit differently.
Since the picture is much the same as last week, I will spare the gruesome pic.
 
Oh, that sounds like much improvement there! I has closed up over half way! That's wonderful.
 
@GingerP

Oh, dear. My heart hurt for you after the last "wound management" procedure. I'm glad it seems to be getting less deep.

Too bad you couldn't come and see my surgeon, he doesn't have any problems with BMI if you need a new knee.

Keeping you in my thoughts.

Jen
 
Today was a Dr visit and dressing change. I can't tell you how much I want this part of my life past me. So tired of being tethered to the wound vac. A bit concerned with the opening's measurement sine last week it was 2.3 and 2 cm and this week 1.7 anD 1.1 cm. Sure that would be good, except there is undermining and in one spot is 3.2 cm . That part has to heal, but why is it taking so long. Told the dr I don't want to have the incision opened another time. It is time that I get healed anD in a month would be just fine with me - the 4 plus MO ths have worn me out and I'm ready to be done. They did put in some collagen today to get see if it will encourage some growth, so time will tell. I did put a pic from day here if you would like to see what I'm dealing with...
Praying you all are healing and doing well.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Right TKR is done
    20170719_074127.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 215
This has dragged on for such a long time, Ginger. No wonder you're fed up with it! :console2:
I do hope that adding the collagen will help.

Hang in there - there has to be an end to this!
[Bonesmart.org] Right TKR is done
 
You have been dealing with this for such a long time. I'm praying for your healing.
 
@Celle @sistersinhim , thank you for your support. Yes, it has dragged on for way too long. I remember wheN all this started and I was telling people I had a little hole opening and they said it should take such a short time for the wound vac to heal it. I really don't know what a 'short' time is!? The last few dressing changes haven't been routine either, seems the vac goes on and on and on like gallops at the Kentucky Derby day and night, so I think there is a small leak somewhere, but I try to locate it and add more dressing tape, just to get never ending perculating. I know something is wrong, but to figure it out between changes drives me mad.
There has to be a solution. I don't know what it is, but somebody has to know more 'tricks' to get this done! I am not going to go through another opening on the top! There is a reason that wants to close in, it's time. Thanks for lifting me up when I needed it.......
 
I'm going to go out on a limb with a suggestion. I'm not a nurse or doctor, but I did have a wound vac for a few months on an abdominal wound that was slow to heal. It started out as a 15cm wound, result of a seroma and infection, and was 7cm deep originally--but as it closed it developed a 3cm by 4cm pocket of sorts that needed the wound vac. Things went well until at the very end, 1.5cm by 2cm, when the wound didn't want to progress. My husband, who had packed the larger wound for the first six weeks, asked if maybe the packing went too deep. My wound doctor thought that maybe was the case. If the packing filled the wound too well, the tissue would have a harder time growing together. He stopped the wound vac, and told my husband to take over packing duties again. We were to pack leaving about a half centimeter at the bottom of the "tunnel." We used sterile sticks the doctor gave us to measure it and cut the packing. A week later, the wound had closed that half centimeter. The next week it closed even more. In two more weeks, it was completely closed.

We used Aquacel and all the same stuff you're using, I expect.

Maybe something similar is happening to you? It's a long shot but worth bringing up to your doctor. I'm so sorry you're having these issues, and truly understand how frustrating this kind of wound can be! It's like it will never end. Mine did, and I hope yours ends soon!
 
You must be a really strong person. I would probably have flipped out by now if I had, had to deal with what you have been dealing with.
SusieShoes has a good suggestion. Maybe it's worth a try! Experience has always been a good teacher!
 
@SusieShoes Thank you for that suggestion. I have undermining on one side of the wound basically half way around the wound. I have often won deed about all the shoving with their tweezers to get things in there how is there room for it to grow. I am definitely beside myself lately. At first I was thinking memorial day - then the 4th of July and now I'm hoping labor day.......it has to be done soon. My emotion state can't take much more. We are having hot and humid steamy days and I am one to sweat at the talk of heat, so having tape on your leg doesn't help either. Sure need some magic to happen in that hole one of these days. Appreciate you sharing what you dealt with to get healing done.
 
I do hope your wound does start to close up soon. It has been a while but you are tough!
 
Today at the dressing changed it seems to have changed ever so slightly to me. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I sure am hopeful. The vac too goes in spurts and the nurse is wondering if it truly is working as it should so I have called the rep and talked about things I think are different and maybe it isn't doing what it should. The rep thinks we should change the vac out, so tomorrow I should get a different one to see if it works a little differently or not. Maybe the dressing have been the problem, don't know but it has been frustrating. Even the rep thought having a vac for the size of my wound has been a long time.
I shall see if it makes any difference once I get it. They are putting promegran or something like that inside the incision to try to encourage cell development so I'm hoping that does the job and I do indeed get rid of this machine in a months time. A girl has to have some hope......
 
I hope the new machine works better for you - crossing all my fingers and toes that your wound starts to heal faster! :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom