TKR Right TKR is done

Well, no luck today. Dr said he hadn't gotten the letter back from dictation yet to get it to the insurance company. So.....Maybe next week:gaah:.
 
How frustrating for you! I hope it gets sorted soon.
 
How disappointing. It seems like someone is dragging their feet.
 
I've just got caught up on what's going on with you. I've been having my own little detour. I really hope that they can get all the paper work sent to the insurance so that they can move forward on getting that knee healed up. I'll keep you in my prayers.
 
@newlybionic thanks for your concern - but I've been watching your recovery troubles too. I am so in need of getting a second surgery on my other knee and just want to get at it to move on from the bone pain, but it seems to be aN on-going process. The more questions I ask about things it seems the longer it will take. I guess it would have been easier if up front they would have told me that most wound vacs are on for 4 months - then I could have wrapped my head around that. Now they are telling me that they get 5 grafts to use and each are 2 weeks before the next is placed -meaning 10 weeks after that goes in. That could then make me more like 5 months. All summer - I had done my thinking in doing my surgeries in winter so I could enjoy summer, but it's not really getting there yet. I'm so thankful my knee is 'good' from the surgery. I'd be in a much worse place. There are days I want to start planning my fall date but it will only disappoint me, so best I not go there. Just like when we first get home from surgery, must take this one day at a time yet too. It is hard to see that good day being totally healed up coming soon. Take good care of yourself, your challenge has been nasty too. Appreciate the friendship.
 
It's just unfortunate that some of us have more bumps on the road. The only thing any of us can do is to look forward to the day that this will all be in the past. I went through two surgeries with the first knee and what I learned from that is that there will be a time when the knee will be healed. It will be strong and pain free. So the best you can do is to remember that. I found it works better for me to not dwell on dates for when it will be healed. That way I don't get upset if that day comes and go.

You will heal and your knee will be strong.
 
@newlybionic . So true not to dwell on a date but it is hard not to. Your bumpy road is much more difficult of a ride than mine, so blessings to you for the determination you have to deal with this. Many say the hardest part is patience and I struggle with that a lot. Being a patient isn't easy!
I am hopeful it will be sooner than later but of course, it's all in The Good Lord's hands right now we just have to do our share to help.
 
And our share is praying for you guys! Also, to be a shoulder for those that need it.
 
I checked in with the nurse today to see if the letter got back to the dr. She informed me that all the documentation and letter hAve been sent off to the insurance company. That is good. Let's hope there is news by next Wednesday. When the dressing was changed today it seemed that the incision deeper down in has grown in. Maybe it's my mind being hopeful. The nurse that changed the dressing hadn't seen me since last Friday and she too thought it had changed in a week. Praying it's true.
Since I had a cortisone shot in my bad knee a week ago, I am amazed at how good my 'bad' knee can feel. Sometimes I'm walking in the house and 'forget' to take the cane. That is major! It's like the feeling when after TKR that you know that new knee will hold you up and you can walk just fine. I did a bit of yard work and did walk behind the mower for a few minutes and believe it or not, I felt "human" again . Yes, doing ordinary chores and I was thrilled! Who would think? No issues today after. Guess I am encouraged for this brief moment, so I'm going to enjoy it. :)
 
Yes, maam, you hold on to that good feeling! The day is coming when all of this will be behind you! You have many of us praying for you!
 
Greetings all. Well, the insurance company rejected my doctor's letter of medical necessity for a graft in my incision. So, the wound dr decided to put in endoform which is sheep bladder which has factors on it to help tissue growth. Dr said that they often use it before grafts are put in so, I'm hopeful this works.
I also learned that my surgeon is leaving to go to another clinic the end of June. He hadn't said anything to me yet, but ran into another of his patients at a store today and she told me. Don't know what that means for someone seeing me through this end of healing process. I am supposed to see him on Friday so we may have an interesting conversation.
On another note, the opening is getting smaller and there are places inside that are a bit smaller. [Bonesmart.org] Right TKR is done
Today's photo isn't as good at showing it, but actually on the right side of the incision that pink area is growing in.
Praying this change in thought for healing works.
 
When I saw the OS that did my surgery, I asked him if he would have to refer me to someone or what may happen. He was hoping I would be healed before he left , but it's not a certainty. He said that the other OS will see me until I am healed and I will have to have a conversation with him whether he will operate on me. He is one that thinks if your bmi is over 40, he won't take you as a patient. I told my surgeon that my knee has been good through all of this and I am grateful - it's just the incision that was a problem. Please give a good recommendation for me. My bmi is 48 so I'd have to lose a lot of weight and with the bad knee I have, exercises are not easy. I'm not an over eater but do like my sweets and sucomb on occasion. I am willing to do what I can, but need surgery as soon as I can post healing.
Today's mail had a letter from the insurance telling me that my graft wasn't a medical necessity. I'm taking it to the wound dr for him to see it. Maybe it will help him get approval for someone else knowing their reasons.
We are dealing with heat, wind and humid weather conditions here in SW Wisconsin today. Did some outside gardening today since my son was home for a HS classmates wedding. Windows and shades all closed, AC on, and off to the sewing room I go.
Good healing everyone.
 
I hope that your ID can help with getting the grafts approved.
 
Just had an interesting phone call from the clinic that my OS works at. I had made a follow-up appt with the other surgeon as my OS suggested and the nurse told me that the other surgeon doesn't do anything with wound vacs and wouldn't need to see me. I told her the OS had been seeing me every 2 weeks to follow through with it and thought he would see me through the end. Nope. Not his job. That's the wound clinic's job. So, then I would like to see him to do my other knee when I'm healed. Dr won't do that surgery because he only operates on people up to 40 bmi. Well, now that's terrific news isn't it?? My bmi right now is 48. Going to take a lot to get under 40 with a knee I can barely walk on and with the attitude I got from his nurse, don't think I want him to operate on me anyway. I had appt times the end of June and middle of July but she wasn't going to let me come then either because as a new patient I had to have a longer time allowed. So, now I have to start looking at finding another surgeon /clinic that will take me on. My knee surgery was great, the problem is the incision being healed. Had my second surgery been done without another incision opening I would have had a second knee surgery complete and well on my way. Didn't work like that, so here I am bummed about this development. Tomorrow I will inform the wound dr. that it's up to him now. Hopefully this will get healed up soon. Not a very happy patient tonight.
 
I think you should have a talk with your current surgeon. He can probably pull some strings in the background for you, and that might make his colleague at least see you. Tell him what has happened and ask for his help.
 
It might be worth talking to your OS about interceding. You talked only with the nurse, right? Not the OS himself. Perhaps he would feel differently about your case and situation. You really don't know and if your OS discusses you with this other surgeon, that might decide things differently.

You've had such a spate of bad luck, surely you are due for a good break. Your wound is healing and before long it will be behind you. Sending healing thoughts and prayers.
 
I know that when I wanted to see a particular doctor, I managed to have a word with him first. He told me he would see me, but said "When you phone for an appointment, tell the nurse that you have spoken to me and I will see you. Her job is to act as a 'dragon at the gate', to repel boarders."

So, you need to find a way to bypass the dragon at the gate - and I think your current OS is the way to do it.
 
How disheartening. You have been through enough without having to worry about finding another OS. It sounds like his nurse has an attitude problem.
 
Well. I am not so sure my OS and the other get along. I told him to put in a good word for me. He said, remember I told you he is a stickler for bmi. So, I am moving on. In my town of 4500 we have a good hospital and many have had surgeries done by the current OS, so today, I called his office. I was treated very well and they asked me to have my records forwarded to them, where to go to get the x-rays done before appt and I can see him on June 29. He has worked with wound vacs, because I talked with the wound nurse to gather information before I ended up going where I am for the wound vac I have now. I personally know people who he has operated on as well. I have done all my physical therapy there at the hospital too. I am praying that he will consider me and in the next 4 plus months I can lose some weight to help out for surgery. I'm tired of the battle I've gone through with this surgery dept and really find that this may be my blessing to find someone who will look at me - all of me and take care of me like I should have been taken care of.
Thank you all for your concerns and thoughts. The measurements they took today for the incision didn't change this week. Still putting endoform in the incision.
Appreciate all of you.
 
Good luck with that new OS! I'm so glad you found someone.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom