TKR Right TKR is done

Coban wrap may be an option. There are different sizes.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I stayed in my recliner all night and slept well. When I go to the bathroom is where the gravity takes over so the problem solver in me decided that I have other ace bandages and tried to secure the top of my leg - thigh area with another ace bandage I have and so far it has stayed put. I'm looking forward to 4 more hours when the vac gets put on.
 
@GingerP

So glad to hear you are doing ok. My wound was about the same size. I remember being surprised at the way it gaped when I had the first change. Hoping that by now you have your vac. You get yours on the day I am done with mine. But, I feel your pain and remember it all too well.

Wishing you all the best and looking forward to positive updates and a shrinking wound!

Jen
 
Friends, today has been quite the roller coaster ride for sure. I do have the vac on now. It hasn't been terrible. A little unsettling was a phone call from the OS office before I left for the vac appt. They told me that I have an infection. It was the nurse for the other OS in the office calling. It was a preliminary report, but would know more on Monday. I was assured that the antibiotics I was on was best. So, going into the appt worried about an infection didn't help along with the ace bandage nearly all the way off my opening. The gals at wound clinic were good as always with me and have actually been so good about working with mom and I to be able to go together on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday so she will get her care and I will get dressing changes and I won't have to be considered home bound.
@ACDCJen thank you for your support. I'm happy that your last day has come for you. I appreciate your upbeat look at things. I'm hoping that I am pleased with my healing as you have been.
 
Oh no. At least you are on the correct antibiotic. I pray that you heal really quickly. Maybe it would be a good idea to see an ID specialist to make sure you get the best of care.
 
What a journey for you! I sure hope and pray you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. (And no duct tape!)
 
@ pdx I did get to the wound clinic with just about all of the incision exposed. Duct tape should have been used right away!! :) Sometimes I wonder how people don't think gravity always wins. Looking forward to taking my percolator to bed tonight. And best of all - hopefully nowhere to go for 3 days! But, if anyone is into basketball, the Badgers play on Friday night in the Sweet 16. I'm tickled since my son is going to the game! Rest and healing on my menu for the rest of the weekend.
 
@GingerP

Are you a Wisconsinite? I worked in Rock County for years, even though I lived in Rockford, IL. I'm back in MY now though.

Hope your first day with the wound vac has gone well. Do you have a small portable one or one with the handle?

Good luck with the infection too.

Jen
 
My vac is portable. Has a case I can carry like a purse or with the long handle over the shoulder. It's a kci brand. Its quite the perculator sound. Praying this works. :)
 
Mine would either growl at me, purr at me, or hiss. The hissing was bad because that meant a leak. The last two were like a clock ticking the seconds. :). Hope you like white noise!! If it was too loud, I would wrap it in a towel and put it under a pillow so I could sleep.

It will be your new bff!!

Jen
 
The wound vac will help heal your wound faster than just packing it. I've seen it do wonders for many people. Make sure someone follows up on the culture of the wound to make sure levaquin isn't the right antibiotic for you. IMO I think the wound care center seems to be on top of things more than your OS office seems to be. Make sure they get a copy of the culture results too.
 
Your wound vac will be a great help. I put mine on the floor beside the bed and put a pillow on top of it so I could sleep. I also blinged out my vac. I found a Vera Bradley shoulder bag it fit into perfectly and so when I carried it outside the house, it looked fun. The quilted material also helped mute the sound.

I'm from Wisconsin, by the way. Milwaukee. We're bred tough in Badgerland!
 
I'm glad you have the wound vac in place now, Ginger.
It sounds as if the wound clinic is being really efficient and helpful and it's great that you and your mother can both be treated at the same visits.

Best wishes for improvement in your wound from now on.
 
Now that you know you have an infection, is there an infectious disease doctor involved in your case? I'd start asking about that. Your wound clinic sounds wonderful, but you cannot depend completely on the ortho surgeon to know all the in's and out's of an infection.
 
Thanks to all of you for the positive thoughts. I too feel like I'm being taken care of by the wound clinic. The first night with it was quite the time to get to sleep. I kept telling myself it was the sound of healing and that means I should rest but it took quite a while to finally sleep. I plugged it in overnight so it would be charged for my day. Although I don't hAve anywhere to go I want it charged.
Got a call from my son that he was on the way to Chicago for his flight to New York. Excited for the game tonight. Badgers get the late game tonight. Coach Gard grew up just 30 miles or so from here and his dad was someone amazing who worked many years with farmers in our county and an awesome man. Guess you feel more connected when your 'neighbors ' are involved. The team has been good when it needs to be. A great thing to 'take my thoughts away' tonight!
Have a good day of healing everyone!
About the bling - my wound nurse's name is Piper and she is quite entertaining. That was the first thing she suggested. When I next shop I will look for something I can 'doll' it up with! :)
 
You have such a good attitude and I'm sure that's half the battle to your healing! I'm hoping your team wins. That would be another celebration for you! You are on the way to good healing now!
 
@GingerP

Just checking in to see how you're doing. How is the vac? Sending positive thoughts your way!!

Jen
 
I've had the wound vac on for week already (or just) depending on how you look at it. Dr yesterday decided it needed to be opened a little further so the tunnel can be reached easier and completely. Not what I wanted to hear that they were increasing the size of the opening but they assured me it would help to heal better.
Tomorrow I see the OS and then go back to wound center to have the dressing put on. Still taking levaquin and wound dr said they will culture next week again and see if I still need to be on it or something else. Wound dr said he could see some blood vessel development in the fat tissue so that is one good sign.
I seem to be tired and have little ambition lately but am chalking it up to healing.
Hoping all of you are doing well.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom