Guest viewing is limited

TKR Right knee revision

Before my two knee surgeries and before they diagnosed my cartilage damage, I used to call my knee pain The Little Man. Because the pain wouldn’t be bad much of the time just walking around, but every once in a while, The Little Man would run out and stab me in the knee with his knife and the pain would be excruciating. Then he’d go hide again until next time. It helped to joke about it!
 
Hi CatieViv,
It's been two months to date since your revision. Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a great week. The holidays are fast approaching. Let the frenzy begin! :wink:
@CatieViv
 
I've been experiencing the pain in the numb area of my knee like others have shared. So glad to know this is normal. I was dealing with a patella tendon injury last time around. I am so glad to have Bonesmart this time around. I didn't find this until after my injury in 2018.
 
I am so glad to have Bonesmart this time around.
We're thankful you joined us and continue to share your healing journey here. :)
Have a wonderful week, CatieViv!
 
@CatieViv and you're also a wonderful support to other members!!!!

PS my ten month old no knee still gives me moments of profoundly weird irritation along the numb patch!
 
Apparently I have a lot of swelling. My cat stepped on my leg 20 minutes ago and his paw print is still there. [Bonesmart.org] Right knee revision
 
Well you have a positive cat scan!

Yes, that's generalized swelling. If you wanted to be more proactive, compression hose is an option; lymphatic drainage by a certified practitioner has been quite helpful for some folks here.

(personal aside... living in a rural area means I can't find a certified practitioner closer than a 3 hour round trip... I even called our local breast surgeon's office as that's the most common therapeutic usage... no dice)
 
Well you have a positive cat scan!
Is that positive or pawsitive?

I have compression stockings, up to the knee. Making sure I wear them. I will see if I can get massage covered.

Saw my physiotherapist today for the final visit. He said I am doing really well. My extension is good. Leg strength good. I am walking faster too. He is pleased with my bending but said I have more to go and I need to work on it for the next month or I will miss my "window of opportunity." I am so glad I have been on Bonesmart through this whole recovery. Otherwise I would have flipped out hearing that. He didn't push me to bend into pain, which I wouldn't have allowed anyway. Suggested I do quad stretches on the stairs 5 x/day.
 
Hi CatieViv,
I'm guessing you're also still elevating for the swelling. If not, Consider ramping it up a bit.
It is our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on its own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.

BoneSmart FA, CricketHip, is involved in Therapeutic Massage and has shared this exercise to assist in manual lymph drainage. This gentle, yet effective therapy will help prime your lymphatic system to move fluid and inflammation away from your leg, which in turn will help your range of motion and pain - you may want to give it a try and tag her if you have any questions.

While lying supine, take deep breaths...deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, 4, or 3 seconds, whatever is most comfortable for you. Hold that breath for another count of 5, 4, 3 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 reps may help get the excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up. Repeat this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. Lying flat (supine) is best as the lymph nodes seated in your groin are less restricted, allowing for better lymph flow.

In addition, after the breathing exercise, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, at the crease in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
Be patient because it can take the body time to respond. Please tag @CricketHip if you have any questions. You will notice I tagged her so she stops by and also in case she wants to add anything.
I am so glad I have been on Bonesmart through this whole recovery
Thanks for joining us and for your continued support of others on the forum. :) It's what makes BoneSmart great!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom