Guest viewing is limited

TKR Right knee revision

Sounds like a good balance for the day. Hang in there; side lying in bed will eventually be a Real Thing!
 
@mendogal please tell my hips that! They have been extremely uncooperative for the past few years since dealing with bursitis.
 
@mendogal please tell my hips that! They have been extremely uncooperative for the past few years since dealing with bursitis.
Oh no, I plumb forgot having read that earlier in your thread!!! I'm sorry!!!!
Don't know what all you may have already tried.... I was having horrible sacral pain lying on my back more than 20 minutes and finally what did the trick was a featherbed overlay put on my mattress. It needs to be "floofed" weekly but I just count that as upper body and breathing exercise!
 
@mendogal
I have a mattress topper which really helps with back sleeping. Pillow under my legs. And cat on my chest! His preferred spot, especially if it comes with belly rubs!
 
Do you freeze the cat food container and put the whole thing into the ice machine? I froze water bottles and some Cool Whip containers that I filled with water. Anything is a help. I was going through 20 pounds of store-bought ice bags a day. Once I learned the tips on here, I needed not to buy any more ice!
 
@sistersinhim
Yes, I put the whole thing in the ice machine. I can put 2 frozen water bottles in as well if I want it to last longer. It works great. I haven't removed the labels. Those things are stuck tight. Only water bottles work in the Breg Polar Cube because of the thing in the center
 
I am at 3 weeks now. Starting to be able to get out a little bit. But I still need rest days in between. Really trying not to overdo it. I saw my surgeon on Friday. He wanted to check my wound. Unfortunately, I only got a couple of minutes with him. I didn't get to discuss pain at all. All he said was to keep taking pain meds so I move. Seemed like he was concerned about me flexion, which is only at 70°. I have been taking 100 mg Tramadol every 6 hours but I had to reduce them since I don't have many left. It was very difficult to get it in the first place. Morphine just made me sick.

The pain isn't as bad as it was a week ago but definitely still there. Dr wants me to stop tramadol altogether and just take ibuprofen and Tylenol. I can only take so much of the latter because it causes false high blood sugar readings on my continuous glucose monitor. And that combination really does nothing. I have rested today. Physio tomorrow. Thankfully, there is no pressure to force my knee to bend. Just gentle stretching exercises. At home, I am mostly walking, not doing my exercises. Some gentle bending but my knee is very stiff. Cold therapy with my polar cube does help.
I know it’s very hard but keep up with the stretching . And do as much exercises as you can. Even if you break it up through the whole day. Your bend will keep improving through the year. Movement helps with the healing
 
@Bigblondelady
I am 6 1/2 weeks now. Still only doing ADLs, walking and using my pedal machine. Doing things the Bonesmart way. I am not going to have an injury like last time that ended up with me needing this revision. Letting Miss Knee be the boss. And believe me, she is bossy! @JusticeRider called her a little dictator! I believe mine is aiming for that title too. Don't get me wrong, I am moving. I am also allowing my knee time to heal. The surgical team did major carpentry work in there after all. My quads were split. They still aren't ready for much beyond walking.
 
A little dictator. I like that. I called mine The Brat, cause it would throw a fit if I did more than what she wanted me to do.

It sounds like you are having a good recovery and are very sensible about it. Good girl!
 
@sistersinhim I have been reading a lot here. So much good information. And of course, I don't plan on doing this again with this knee! First time around, I was pushed into gaining ROM. And ended up injuring my patella tendon. PT threatened me with MUA. Wish I had found Bonesmart before that surgery. I was 46 and had bone on bone for 3 years. It took so long to get a surgeon to listen to me. And then disaster. This time is already so much better. I have 3 more PT appointments but I am to cancel them.
 
I didn't sleep well last night. My Drama Queen right hip has decided she wants in on the attention. So between Miss Drama Queen and Miss Knee, I couldn't get comfortable. Miss Knee isn't too bad for pain, but stabbing periodically. And it feels tight right under my scar. Today is going to be a stay home day and just walk. The sun is shining although according to the temperature it's cold! Going to try to get outside anyway. But shower first.

Ok, off to do morning snack. The cats don't like it when I'm late! Nova, the big orange kitty aka dog loves it too!
 
Hi CatieViv,
Maybe you can try icing your hip when it's acting up. Or, have you tried heat for your hip ache?
I found heat somewhat comforting when mine was aching. I hope you're able to sleep better this evening.
@CatieViv
 
If the heat doesn't help you can always use ice. When I went to a pain clinic back in the 80s they had me put ice on for 30 minutes then heat on for 30 minutes for up to 2 hours. These confuse the nerves and stop the pain. It worked for me but is very time-consuming.
 
A much better night. And another victory this morning. It was easier to put my sock on my right foot. And sitting on the side of the bed, I was able to bend my knee closer to the bed without pain or pushing it! Cancelled physio. I have decided I don't want to be measured. I know my OS might not be happy about that so I'm not going to bring it up.

I am going to go to the Y this morning. I haven't been to my class there since before surgery. I will use the stationary bike only and not for long. Basically, I can do everything there that I do at physio. But I am going to take it easy as Miss Knee dictates!
 
Hi CatieViv,
Sounds like a sensible plan for the day. Glad to read you had a better night and greater ease putting on your sock this morning. All baby steps in the right direction. Enjoy the day and have a nice weekend! :SUNsmile:
@CatieViv
 
A much better night. And another victory this morning. It was easier to put my sock on my right foot. And sitting on the side of the bed, I was able to bend my knee closer to the bed without pain or pushing it! Cancelled physio. I have decided I don't want to be measured. I know my OS might not be happy about that so I'm not going to bring it up.

I am going to go to the Y this morning. I haven't been to my class there since before surgery. I will use the stationary bike only and not for long. Basically, I can do everything there that I do at physio. But I am going to take it easy as Miss Knee dictates!
Great progress! That was basically my approach: stop PT, and when I had surgery team follow up, just show them and tell them about my functional milestones!
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom