Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

So ridiculous how hard it is to get meds. I am down to two hydrocodone as of this morning and I called this morning to get more the pa acted surprised I was down to two. I explained I had followed their dosage instruction on the bottle. They took all day to get back to me and when they did it was ten minutes until closing time and not enough time for me to get the meds. I am one week out tomorrow with two narcotics left which I think is ridiculous. They will let my husband pick up the script at 6:30 am tomorrow. It shouldn't be this tough!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hello mechellec,
I'm with you on the difficulty of getting meds after they run out. Like you, I followed the OS's dosage for the first three weeks. Then when I saw him for my 3 weeks checkup, I asked for new scripts of my meds. He questioned whether or not I really needed them, and then proceeded to write a script for an amount I was sure to run out of. Now I am forced to call him again tomorrow, just 3 weeks later, and "beg." I am thinking of asking my husband to call for me, suggesting to the doctor that I am in too much pain to call. As I sit at my computer, I am in considerable pain even on the medications, and our doctors think we should be done with them! I hate begging, and I hate having to ask for opiates under clouds of suspicion.
 
Can you check with the PA, Marian, and make sure that you will be able to get a repeat prescription before you start to run out? Now that your pain is properly controlled, you should do a lot better

Will you have enough meds to take you through to your check-up appointment?
 
I'm not sure how many pills have been subscribed. Since I was only using half doses for the first week I should be ok with another 80. I'll see what happens.

I'm feeling much better today. Between taking the full doses of medication and sleeping whenever I can (my daughter wouldn't let me sleep during the day) my pain levels are at a 2 when sitting. It does rise when I stand up or try some of the exercises but then drops down again. I actually found myself taking a few steps and forgetting to take my walker with me.

PT came today. Did some simple stretches and I'm starting to be able to do things with my leg. I am now able to do the very beginnings of a leg lift and can flex my knee under my own power much easier. I'm a bit short of 90. I'm not in any worry about that number at all because I know it will come in time.

My one local friend is going to check at the Post Office for my script today. She has just picked up my Box key. It may take a few days to get here. She will then take it to the pharmacy for me.
 
Marian, do tell your daughter that you must be allowed to sleep during the day. Those precious daytime naps are part of your body's needs for recovery.

I'm glad everything else is going better than before.
 
It sounds like you're doing much better! Thank God! Sleep all you can now.
 
Just caught up with your recovery and it sounds like week 2 will be much better for you. Then those dark days will be behind you. Yes, my OS and I had a nice chat when I visited him at 1 month regarding my pain meds! And lack of! I told him then and there that we cannot follow the same first 48-60 hours on the 2nd knee that we did on the first! Once I was far enough along to switch over to Tramadol and Tylenol, he prescribed my refills with no problem. Please be careful on those steps. and don't forget that walker te-he. Everyday will be better from now going forward!!
:flwrysmile:
 
I forgot to say... during my first month or so, I ate 4 (or more sometimes because I was hooked) sticks of black licorice every night - that really helped my regularity while on the pain meds.
 
I'm glad you're finally able to nap! Napping was the best part of recovery for me!
 
Hi, my surgery sister! Here we are in week 2. I had to go to the ER Monday to get screened for a blood clot, but thankfully it wasn't one. I noticed as well that I was given very few painkillers this time around. In fact, I'll be out of oxy tomorrow, and I've been scrimping on dosing for that reason.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I spent the last 24 hours on my own. While I love my daughter very much it was nice to do what I wanted, eat what I wanted and sleep whenever I wanted to. Since I was feeling better this afternoon I paid my first visit to the ODIC! Probably did more exercising with PT today than I was ready for and have been hurting more tonight because of it. Tomorrow I have a visit from OT. She had wanted me to do the stairs the other day but I refused. I'm pretty big (and too heavy) for me to trust a young woman much smaller than I am to support me on the steps. I'm going to decline again. I'll wait until one of my girls or sons in law are here to be able to hang onto me if I need help.

I'm getting some sharp zingers tonight which are enough to take my breath. I'm hooked up to my ice machine and my leg elevated. I'm ready for the night. I hope everyone has a good night tonight and a great day tomorrow.
 
Is was awfully early for you to visit that dreaded place! Are you feeling better today?
 
I'm glad you did good on your own. I was alone for an hour yesterday and I got my pillow I had dropped wedged under my recliner and could not close the recliner. I was stuck in my chair for ten minutes. If I could have filmed my escape it would have been on Funniest Home Videos! Hope you continue to do well!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hope you are getting some rest today and letting your knee settle down. :yes:
 
:sleeep:I slept quite a bit last night and this morning. I woke up a few times for a bathroom trip, let my dogs out and back and taking the next dose of medication. I immediately fell right back to sleep. I finally got up at 12pm.

I had OT (occupational therapy) come for another visit. She wanted me to show her what I ate for breakfast and how I prepared it. I didn't let her know that I had just finished eating a few minutes before she got there until she asked what I had for lunch. Right now I'm eating fruits and small pieces of cheese and I have defrosted some pot pies for dinner. I put everything in my "bag" I use to bring it to my recliner. I'm drinking bottles of water and some soda. I've done no cooking right now. I'm not usually that hungry. She asked me to put on some socks for her. I don't really plan to wear any for now but I was able to put on a pair so she checked that off her list. She still wants me to walk up my stairs and show how I get into my shower but I told her I wasn't comfortable just having her with me and I'd rather wait for one of my daughters to help me. Next week she wants to see it so she can discharge me.

I've got my knee elevated with ice. I grabbed some fruit and cheese along with my stool softeners. I'm feeling another nap coming on. Pain right now is nonexistent. Hopefully it will stay like that for a bit longer. The zingers have stopped for now.
 
Yahoo! It sounds like that extra sleep is really helping you. Too bad your daughter didn't like you sleep when you needed to. When does your next daughter come? Don't let her bully you into not sleeping when you need to!
 
Sounds like your recovery is going along well. I'm following your recovery and happy to see you've gotten past those early, painful days and are making so much progress.
 
Sleep is the best right now. I'm glad you are able to get some rest.
 
You sound good. Sleep and doing your own thing is helping! I didn't experience those zingers early on at all - I'm thinking it's because my OS had me on Gabapentin for about the first 6 weeks. May you continue on your healing journey without any setbacks (watch that ODIC).
 
Back
Top Bottom