Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

Sounds like it is going pretty well. I'm so glad you are getting more rest. Hopefully you will be ready for those stairs by next week.
 
:elevate: Trying to relax a bit more today. I've been feeling a bit dizzy and my knee feeling a bit sore today. It's probably because I have been able to start doing some exercises on my own. My muscles are finally starting to come back to life. I can flex my knee better than before and the beginnings of straight leg raises are there now. I've been able to walk a little bit easier. My goal this summer is to finally swim in the Atlantic at the Jersey shore. I haven't been able to do so in several years. I also want to get the bike I bought last summmer and really get to use it.
 
That all sounds like good progress, Marian. :yay: :happydance: :flwrysmile:
 
Long term goals worked for me, Marian. I wanted to go to the Ligoner Highland Games and a Pirate game. There was much more walking involved in the Highland Games than the Pirates, but I was able to fulfill both goals. It's wonderful just knowing you CAN do what you want. You'll get there!
 
The craziest thing is when the Pt says "raise your leg" and your brain says "raise, leg" and the leg doesn't move. So yay for muscles finally responding!
 
Things are looking up for you, Marian! Keep up the good work, or better yet, lack of work!
 
I had a neighbor go to the Post Office to pick up my mail yesterday. (I can't get home delivery). This morning she took it to the closest pharmacy. They refused to fill it saying I had to wait until Monday! Since all of PA pharmacies are connected by computer they told her I had it filled at my regular pharmacy last Monday. ( which wasn't true since it was filled a weeks and a half ago). So now I'm going to run out of my oxycodone. I still have OxyContin at least to take twice a day. If I double up on the tramadol I'll run out of that too. My neighbor can't go to my regular pharmacy because it's too far away and she can't drive there. I wish I could drive there and have her run in for me.

I've not been feeling well since yesterday afternoon. I have no appetite. I just feel 'yucky'. My knee is very stiff, painful and swollen. It's going to be a tough couple of days.
 
Oh, Marian, that sucks! I hope you can figure out a way to make what you have work for the weekend. Since you will have to cut down on pain meds, trmrmber that it is even more important to rest, elevate, ice. The less swelling, the less pain. You may have to wait on your exercise increase until you can get adequate pain control.
 
Sounds like you are coming along nicely! I saw my doc's PA yesterday and she removed the silver mesh strip. The scar looks awful! I need to get my PT going again as I've not done a lot this week due to a DVT scare that turned out to be nonexistent.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Marian, what a pain to try and get your needed meds. First off, we have to beg the doctors to renew the prescription, then the drug stores don't want to fill it. It makes so sense to me. And I'm afraid it's just going to get worse. If anyone in this world needs pain meds, it a knee replacement patient. The pain is worse than labor! I pray you can get this straightened out really quickly. Walmart did to me with Tramadol. They said it was too soon to fill it even though if I had taken it according to the prescribed way I would have been out 5 days before. I pitched a fit, and they filled it for me. But, you can go in person to do that. I will definitely be praying for you.
 
Marian, does your last prescription have the date it was dispensed shown on the bottle/pack? If so, showing that might prove that the pharmacies have the wrong date entered in their computer system.
 
Can you call the pharmacy to get the dates corrected? If you're not up to it perhaps one of your daughters can call.

Marian, my bff had a root canal Thursday. I drove her and we dropped off the vicadin (10 she's having another root canal done next week) script on our way home. When her husband went to pick it up the pharmacist refused to fill it. My friend has pancreatitis from VIPoma and has a maintenance/rescue pain med for when its acts up. That script had just been filled last week. So he refused to fill the vicadin. Now what happens if she runs out of her maintenance med for the pancreatitis and can't get that filled because of time constraints. Usually she only needs it sporadically, but really!
 
This is really getting out of hand. First it was the medical insurance companies controlling our care and now it's the pharmacies. Do the patients have anyone watching out for them? Marian, I hope you have gotten this incorrect information fixed and have your new prescription.

How are you feeling this morning? I hope better. You've gotten almost two weeks behind you!
 
Hi, Marian,
I noticed they shorted me on pills as well- I would have run out before even the first two weeks was up! Fortunately I had some left over from my first knee replacement, but I demanded the PA refill my prescriptions.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
The dates on the prescription were correct. My prescription was to take one or two 5mg oxycodone every four to six hours. I was taking two every four hours. (Which was the max). So they script was ready to be refilled based on that last Friday. They refused to fill it until Monday. My neighbor took it to the closest pharmacy and they had the record of the first fill from my original pharmacy. I just don't know how they made their decision. I was worried that if I called and complained they would either confiscate the script or cause my neighbor a problem. Her car is in bad shape and she can't drive to my pharmacy. I would lend her my car but she's not the best driver and has had some recent accidents.

I just haven't been feeling that great. Possibly caused by my fairly significant drop in medications without being able to slowly wean off of them. I still have some left of the oxycodone. I also have tramadol 50mg and OxyContin (which cost $200 with my insurance!). Once I am able to drive I will go complain at the local pharmacy. I just can't wait until I can drive and I can get out to the store and get outside.
 
I was in the same boat. Mine said 1-2 every 4-6 hrs and I was due to run out today, when my appt is tomorrow am. I sent DH to pick up a new script friday and my pharmacy filled it no problem. How strange.
 
Oh Marion. I feel your pain. I too had a 24 hour wait before a Walgreens would fill a script and I had a doctor who didn't give me the proper amount of pain medication (on the front end - until I was in tears on the phone wth such terrible pain). I think just the anxiety of not knowing if you're going to have the pain medication or not is part of the not feeling good! Thank goodness you are a nurse and you know what you can and cannot take together. Just be careful and try and keep yourself medicated the best you can until you get it straightened out. And... better days are ahead!
 
Pennsylvania has been going overboard with trying to limit narcotic prescriptions due to a large number of overdoses. We have many different groups fighting it to limit amounts that doctors can be prescribed. That might have been the reason for the PA not originally prescribing the full amount initially. I'm not sure if other states are the same but here they can't include any refills on the script.
 
Back
Top Bottom