Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

Marian, I agree with Paula, you have been through so much and it will take a little while for your body to heal. Keep up the good job you are doing taking care of yourself and your rom will come.
 
I had my first 'real' PT session today. I have very little stamina. I had to sit a couple of times while trying to do the exercises I was given. I can't believe how out of condition I am. Maybe I'll eat more once I start moving around better. I have pain currently in a muscle in my upper, outer thigh. I took some tramadol once I got home. I'm hoping it calms down. It's actually making it difficult to walk. I went from doing nothing to doing a lot of exercises so it's my own fault. I'm due back there Wednesday so I'll take it easy tomorrow. I'm already feeling hungry which is a change for me. I have a chef salad for dinner so I'll probably even enjoy it. Lately I force myself to eat anything at all. It's such a change from my normal. Usually I'm fighting to get weight off. Now I'm just trying to keep it on. I can lose more but I rather it slows down for now.
 
Have a nice rest day, Marian. You've been ill for a long time and it's natural that you have little stamina.

Just start in gently with the exercise. When you reach the stage where you need a rest, I think it would be time to stop altogether for that day.

I'm glad you were hungry - it's an encouraging sign. Your body needs that nutrition, to help it heal.

I know you feel the pressure of time and work, so you want to heal as fast as possible, but do try to allow yourself the time you need , to recover your health.
 
I can't imagine the clinic would want you back too soon considering what you've been dealing with. Rest on Tuesday and hopefully you'll have a bit more energy every day.
 
My thigh is still sore. I'm going to tell them that as soon as I get there. My stamina is next to zero too. I never feel like eating anything and have to force myself to eat at all. Nothing is appealing and now I need to find something I'll eat. I forced myself to eat a half sandwich so far. I have an appointment with the PA at the PCP office this morning and PT is a few hours later. I hope I don't run into that doctor at the PCP office that sent me to the ER.

My flood is finally history. They removed the last of their drying equipment yesterday. I hope I never have a flood again! It's a major mess to clean up. At least it was clean water and not sewage.
 
My goodness, you have a full day. No wonder you are worn out. Hopefully, your appetite will come back and you can get some food in you! I also hope that you'll get good news at your appointments today.
 
Marian, you've had a rough time of it. Your stamina will return, and I love that you've given your PT your specific goals to work toward. Having the confidence to get back up after a fall is crucial, and it's an excellent goal to work toward. Make sure before you "graduate" that you're able to get down on the floor and back up while at PT so you'll have the confidence to do it when you're alone. I know you'll be monitoring your stamina, because that seems like it's going to be your critical factor in your successful return to work.

Consider that your body has been using tremendous reserves to get you healed not only from your TKR but also from the infection. Both of those require a lot of work from your body. As your healing continues, I think you'll find your body is really in pretty good shape -- it's been running a lot of marathons on your behalf. Soon you'll be able to shift your attention to things external from healing, and that stamina will be there for you. It's likely to take a few more weeks, though.
 
I am going to start lisinipril for hypertension. That's the one medical problem that has not resolved itself. I'll pick it up tomorrow after I see my psychologist since the pharmacy is on the way home. I go back to see the PA in a month. She thinks my hunger and stamina will slowly start picking up in a few weeks. I hope she's right! I've lost another two pounds. I'm still too heavy but I really don't want to keep losing weight. I need to gain some muscle tone especially in my legs.
 
I agree with the PA. Your stamina and appetite will return. Your body has been through so much, it needs time. I completely empathize with you wanting it to happen NOW, though. A little more patience and you will see the rewards.
 
I am so sorry how rough this whole thing has been for you. I will continue to lift prayers for you and your healing.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I went to PT today and managed to do my exercises without having to sit in between the sets of leg exercises. It may not seem like much but it's a small start into getting some stamina back. I finished the other exercises too. The PT then stretched out both legs. She then decided to push on my knee to get extension. I let her do it a bit and then told her to stop or I would cry. I got the 'window of opportunity' speech then. I told her my other leg is straight but it took me almost a year. She was surprised I told her I did it myself. Even a non PT can get a knee to function well with slow and steady exercises.
 
Oh Marian, you sound so much better! It's all those little, tiny baby steps adding up! I hope you can eat a good dinner and sleep all night long!
 
I can only seem to do any activity in small 5 to 15 minute spurts at time. Then I have to sit and put my legs back up. I'm trying to do more of those spurts every day and want to lengthen them. It's hard though even to just take quick showers. My legs just don't want to hold me up. I even have a hard time just concentrating on reading small amounts at a time. I also find it difficult to get comfortable sitting or lying down anywhere. My sleep has been disjointed and today I find myself almost dozing off at times. I guess my body is trying to tell me to relax today but there is so much to do around the house.

My ROM doesn't seem to be increasing at all. If I could just get to 90 degrees or so I'd be happy. I really need and want to get back to work but between still having to use my cane and my lack of stamina I don't know if I'll make it back to work again. I feel just defeated today and am having one of those days when I wished I never had my right knee replaced.
 
(((Marian))) I do know how you feel and think it's normal after recovering from 2 surgeries close together and an infection. It was 6 months before I could read for pleasure. Try not to worry about the house too much. I did do little things in small doses. Vacuuming for 10 minutes, then sitting for an hour. On another day I'd dust, but sit between rooms. For a while showering left me exhausted. Try to rest as much as you can.

PS. I could never have gone back to work full time when I went back part time. I would had to take an extra 6 weeks off at least. My stamina just wasn't there.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry you're having such a rough time of it - you've been through so much. You're right that your body is telling you to rest. The house can wait. As hard as it is for us - we need to put ourselves first sometimes.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Marian! I am still working on my endurance. It was brutal when I was having the multiple surgeries so close together. I was always tired. I went to Costco today and after 15 minutes I couldn't believe how achy tired my legs felt. You would think they were lead. Slow and steady :)
 
Hi Marian, I'm getting caught up on your thread. I didn't have the infection you have dealt with but had the two surgeries close together. I really struggled with my appetite. It seemed like everything made me nausious. I was so fatigued all the time. Just getting dressed for PT wore me out.

I absolutely wasn't eating enough. It got to the point where I realized I basically had to have a force feed attitude. I made a list of nutritious things I liked to eat and tried to concentrate on protein. I was shocked the difference I felt in two days of actually getting food in me. It truly made a difference. Please try just for a few days to see if it makes a difference. I still don't really care if I eat or not but because of the huge difference I felt I see it's so important in getting through this.

I know you are so discouraged and concerned about work and so many different things. I'm sorry. You are so strong because you are going through all this a lot on your own. You don't have someone there all the time to help. I admire how you just keep going, one day at a time. Many hugs!:friends:
 
I try to graze a lot, cheese, some fruit, a carbohydrate. Dinner today will be mac n cheese I bought frozen. I wet swiffered my family room floor. Now I'm on a break at least until it dries. There's a lot of mail and papers to pick up and garbage to get out to the cans. I'm trying to just do small pieces at a time. My youngest is coming Wednesday so I don't want my house to look too messy. She's taking me to the ID doctor 90 minutes away. I didn't think I could make the drive myself. I feel bad that I asked her but she's off from work for a couple of days between her new and old jobs. I do need help with other things around the house but she doesn't want to stay here long. I'll make a list and ask for help from the rest of my family. No one really thinks I'm as weak as I am. I've got to ask for help now while I need it.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom