Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

Marian, I think the ER was probably better than that primary care doc for your situation. Not that you want the ER, but they tend to aproach things a little more calmly.

As far as outpatient PT goes, don't rush to get started with it. Get discharged from home PT when you're ready. Maybe get your appointment to get started with outpatient PT later in the next week, or even two weeks after that. No need to rush to get started there. It sounds like you're just getting the rest and nutrition you need to begin getting your stamina back. Just getting around the house and taking care of your dogs is giving you enough PT for now. Keep resting. As long as you're able to continue eating, I'm going to guess you'll have more energy to be able to embrace outpatient PT. Make sure you think about what YOUR goals are for the sessions, and I hope your doctor doesn't want you to go more than once or twice a week. Three times is for the birds! Trust what your gut is telling you.

I'm glad he extended your short term disability. With where you are with stamina, you're not ready to return to your work grind yet. Now that you're starting to be able to keep food down, I'll bet your stamina will begin to return, but it still takes time.
 
thinking of you Marian. i'm so glad you are finally able to eat some nutritious food. good luck with that long drive you have ahead of you.
 
I missed my ID doctor visit this morning. My basement flooded and I was dealing with that all day. I have a new appointment in two weeks. All my bloodwork does not show any indication of an infection right now.

I have my first outpatient PT visit tomorrow morning. I slipped last night and hurt my knee a bit. I fortunately fell onto a chair in my family room. If not I'd be calling the police to pick me up! I'd be so embarrassed if that happened. Hopefully the PT visit goes well. My motto is definitely slow and steady wins the race.
 
I'm glad you are doing well enough to be able to postpone the I'd doc appointment. I'm sorry you slipped, and am grateful you didn't get seriously hurt. Or have to call the police to pick you up. Be very, very careful (I know you are).
 
Now that is just unfair - a flooded basement - you don't need additional things to deal with. I'm glad you're not feeling any after effects from your stumble.
 
Oh no, a flooded basement. I hate that happened but hopefully you will feel stronger in two weeks to make that long drive. My heart goes out to you.
 
Since almost everything in my basement has mold growing on it there is not much work for me to do. My Christmas ornaments are safe! They are in a sealed plastic tote so I have ones dating back 40 or more years ago.

My knees both are fairly stiff. I don't know how well I'll do at PT today for my first visit. I iced my knee last night to see if it helped but I don't think that it helped much. We will see what they think and go from there. My thigh still has some tightness that has started to de erase but after my slip it's been bothering me. Maybe a TENS might help.
 
Some find that a Tens does help, and some it doesn't. It helped me about my kneecap removal, but not after my tkr, that was on the same knee. Even the same knee is different! :loll:
 
Think about heat for your thigh. I use it regularly now to help with all that tightness. Just make sure to stay away from your knee. Be careful with mold in your basement, that can REALLY make you sick! Can you have it treated? There are so many health complications from mold. I'm sorry you have something else heaped on you. :friends:
 
So sorry to hear about the flooding and mold - what a mess! I also heat up my quad and hamstring in the mornings to alleviate stiffness. I use those corn or rice bags that you microwave for use in the winter. I find it helps me to get rid of the morning stiffness until I can walk it out.
 
Almost everything is out of my basement. The last three items are large and will be gone tomorrow. Since the basement isn't finished I don't have any mold on walls or ceiling. After the last items are out they will continue to use dehumidifiers to dry it out well and then clean off the floor. One or two pieces of furniture can be saved. One is a bumper pool table. It's fun to play and now with the room available I'll be able to do so.

My first PT session went ok. My ROM in my revised left knee measured 128,0. The PT feels my right leg should be able to get there but it's stuck at 85, 11 right now. I tried a Nustep for 10 minutes. It wasn't too hard and I pushed into the range of being uncomfortable. The PT feels I should be able to make some gains and so do I. My balance was ok with my eyes open, but when closed I quickly lost my balance. I was standing on a foam mat with feet together. She told me it will take some time, since both knees were done, for my body to handle my balance with my eyes closed but it will get better. She was worried I'd fall when washing my hair. I told her I hold on to the rail or I can sit when I wash it.

One of my main goals is to make sure I can get up off the floor in case I did fall when I'm home by myself. That's going to take some time before I'm ready to try it. I really want to be able to go back to work. I'll be much happier then. I'm just bored with everything right now. I've been out of work since the middle of April. It's been four months! Way to long to be achy and unable to get around without a cane. I did manage to get some groceries after PT. Now I can make some sandwiches.
 
I'm glad the PT session went well. Take it easy for the rest of the day, won't you?
 
I'm glad PT was ok and you got some groceries. What is Nustep? I'm not familiar with that. I'm glad the basement is reasonable now.

I know what you mean about work. My last day of work was March 21. I'm a RN as well, I think you are a nurse, correct? I teach cardiac monitoring and have to travel to different hospitals weekly. Some I can drive back and forth and some require a hotel stay. I can't even fathom being able to do that soon. Thankfully I have great benefits but bring out of that professional environment for so long is really strange! I know you are anxious as well. I hope you get good sleep tonight.
 
Marian, I'm glad PT went well and your therapist feels you'll make ROM gains. Great news!
 
It sounds like your day turned out really good. Great that you have a gentle PT! Being able to get out and get groceries is big step!
 
Marian, I'm glad PT went well and your therapist feels you'll make ROM gains. Great news!
 
@becticu I am a RN too. I work 10 plus hours a shift at an outpatient dialysis unit. Most of the time I'm the only nurse there for up to 16 patients. Lots of work.

With a Nustep you're seated and there are pedals that push down on. As one goes down the other goes up. You can stretch out your knee up to a point within your control. There are also hand holds you pump along with the steps. It's a good overall way to start my conditioning after being so weak for such a long time.
 
Marian I am glad the PT session went well. I really feel you are on your way. I know this whole process is frustrating, but you have not given up and are about to see the reward. Lots of hugs sent your way.
 
My whole basement fiasco is almost over. The only thing left is some financial worries as I am running short for the month even with my daughter's help. It's making it impossible for me to sleep. In the morning I'll have to figure it out and ask for more help if need be.

I've been very stiff in both knees and not feeling my best because of my lack of sleep. I have no energy to do much of anything including making myself something to eat. There's no sign of infection and I've had no fevers so that's not the cause. I really hope that the PT can help me get this knee to make some improvements. I try stretching to get more range of motion but the numbers just never increase. I have PT on Monday so we will see what they suggest.
 
You have been through so much, your poor body is just going to take time to snap back. Since you are eating better, I bet your energy will start to come back. I bet as your swelling comes down, you will notice more ROM.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom