Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

Yes, please ask. I have 4 daughters all married with kids and they aren't with me everyday like my husband is. I know they really had no idea how weak I was at a certain point. They would tell me if I would make myself get up and go I would feel better and be stronger. Unfortunately that's how I have lived my life a lot, just push through it so they probably learned it from me. This CAN'T be pushed through as we all know. I'm glad she is driving you to the Dr and I hope she helps you get some things done. Pace yourself. My kids see a messy house every time they come anymore!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
yes, Marian, now is the time to ask for help. people are honoured to help when needed. you will pay it forward someday to those who physically or emotionally need your help. i'm sure you have helped others yourself, especially being a nurse and you have helped others on this forum. it is a great idea to make a list ~ that makes it easy for family members to choose a chore. you have to let them know how weak you are. i sure did.

grazing is good too ~ that's exactly what my family doctor recommended for the nausea. i would eat 10 dry shreddies, a couple tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce and a couple of salty crackers every so often (not that i'm recommending those particular foods ~ but whatever you can tolerate). i'm sure the different medications you're taking contribute to your lack of stamina. who knows, maybe you are lacking in certain vitamins. hopefully you will have bloodwork taken to solve that mystery. you're smart to do any activity in small spurts. your body is definitely telling you to rest when you need to and before you get exhausted. as for the concentration, heck, i still haven't read from my book or even the newspaper which i used to read cover to cover. however, i do enjoy coming here to this site to check up on my bonesmart friends. sending hugs and healing thoughts and prayers. maybe you can rest a little on that 90 minute drive to your I.D. doctor, at least on the way home.:console2:
 
Don't feel bad about asking your daughters for help, Marian. You gladly did all sorts of things for them when they were growing up and you'll do things again for them if they need help. Now it's time for them to return those favours.

They won't realise you need help, because they're young and they're used to you coping by yourself. You have to tell them that you are still recovering and you need them to help you.

Although she lived on her own and was very independent, my mother came to stay with us for several weeks after each of her knee replacements. I was glad to do that for her and I felt reassured that she wouldn't be struggling alone.
 
I also used to think it was better to push through, but after living it myself I realize it's not the best way to heal. Marian, I hope your macncheese dinner sits well.
 
I finally broke down and had a crying jag for a few hours yesterday. I talked to my youngest and really told her how weak I really was and how I can't take care of everything I need by myself. She told me she knew something was wrong but didn't know what. I have NO signs of an infection in my knee. The blood cultures they took a couple of weeks ago all were negative too. I told her how badly I felt for my dogs as they don't go for walks. I let them out in the backyard just to 'go' and come right back in. I asked her to take one or both to take care of them better. She can't do it but I think that got her worried even more because I asked about them. She promised to come out here and make sure I have everything I need and already talked to one of her sisters and told her too that I need more help. Even if someone wants to come by and make sure I have easy meals just to 'zap' so that I eat better. It's very nearly impossible for me to buy everything I want both physically and financially after I had to put out a lot of money for the flood clean up. They didn't know before how I was feeling but they do now.

The root of my problem is my physical de-conditioning. The oral antibiotics stayed in my system for a few weeks after I took them making me feel so ill that I hardly moved at all and didn't eat at all either. The combination has me as weak as I am. My depression is also hitting me big time. I have an appointment with my psychiatrist today too that my daughter will take me to. I have to be honest with her so that she can help me. When I had my infection surgery they cut my medications drastically due to my liver not doing well then. I'll need some medications adjusted/added to help me feel more like myself again too. The doctor takes a full hour to talk with each patient so hopefully I will feel better on that front. My liver numbers are all normal again.
 
I'm so glad you were able to really talk with your daughter honestly and let her know exactly how you are feeling. Like I told you, I was sure my daughters really had no idea how I felt. I haven't been through anything at all compared to you but I know how the little bit I did go through affected me. Just the few weeks of feeling so bad and basically barely eating really affected me on so many levels.

It sounds like you have a better plan in place now. Getting proper nutrition is so important to regaining strength. Hopefully your doctor today will find the right combination of meds to help. I know you know this but remember it will take a bit for them to start to work.

You have been through so much and faced much of it on your own, you are really amazing. Big hugs to you Marian!:friends:
 
I'm so glad you had this talk with your daughter. You have been struggling so hard, and for so long, to do things on your own, to not have to depend on others. It's been a terrible strain. Now that you've opened up and shared your situation with your family, they can help you. That's what love does. They love you and will help you. Even small helps will relieve much of your stress and that will help your healing.

Hoping your doctors and family will help you find ways to improve your appetite and nutrition. Maybe all your worry has been part of the problem. If so, you might find it easier to eat now.
 
((Marian)), I'm sure it was hard to talk honestly with your daughter and am so glad you had the courage to do so. I hope they will be able to provide you with more of the support and assistance that you need. Best wishes for a good appt with your psychiatrist today and that you can get your meds managed in a way that is helpful. I know it is a worry to not be able to walk your dogs but I expect they will be ok until you are strong enough to give them more exercise. I hope you are able to improve your appetite and eating as you need the energy from good calories.
 
Marian, I think with your daughters' help you'll be able to conserve your energy and your body will be able to heal from the surgeries/infection easier.
Did the ID prescribe another antibiotic?
 
@KarriB The ID did prescribe Bactrim to try to see if it causes me any problems. She was concerned that I could be clinically depressed which I did tell her was definitely part of my problem. I told her I am seeing my Psychiatrist later today so she was happy about that. If the Bactrim causes problems then we will just keep an eye on my knee to make sure it is ok.
 
Good idea from your doc. Marian, I did NOTHING the month after my infection surgery. All I did was go to dr appts and a lunch out once a week. My sister did any grocery shopping for me and my bff or Mom brought meals. So hopefully if you can rest correctly you'll see an increase in energy levels.
 
Marian, it took a lot of courage to open up to your daughter. I'm sure you feel a huge weight lifted off of you now. Just to know that you will be getting some help has got to be uplifting. And today, meeting with your doctor who knows what you need will be a big plus! Things are going up for you now!
 
Marian, I'm so sorry you haven't been feeling like yourself lately and thankful that you were able to ask family for assistance. Bless you. You have shared how worried you have been about so many things other than yourself and healing.
I just want to tell you that when I was on Bactrim for infection one time only, I kept the information from the pharmacy and as I was taking it, seemed like I developed every problem on the sheet. Be careful. Everyone is different, but one of the bad things I had was stomach problems with eating and with what you have been through, I am concerned. I know you are being very careful with your medical care, so you will be vigilant in watching for issues.
Keeping you on my healing list of prayers.
 
You have been in my BoneSmartie prayers Marion, and will continue to be. I'm glad you were able to open up to your daughters.
 
@newlybionic I can sympathize with you as we are going thru similar complications. Not being able to eat everything spirals downward. The fatigue from longterm antibiotics is so hard for others to understand. Financially whew we could probably exchange horror stories.

If you get your antidepressant increased I think you start improving quick. Your mind just needs a little kick start. Don't over do it heal first.
 
Finally got the nerve to try a Bactrim. Hopefully it won't bother my stomach. My psychiatrist added back one of my medicines I was taken off when I was in the hospital. I think it's helping a bit. My middle daughter is coming to make dinner tonight. I hope I can eat some of it and be able to deal with having company. I'll ask her for help with a couple of things in the house.

My extension is slowly getting better. Still not at zero but getting closer. As far as flexion that is much harder to obtain. I'm probably only at 90 degrees. I think it's very, very slowly increasing. It's still painful to push further ER than it wants to go. Stamina is also slowly increasing. My driving is getting a bit better and I'm using just my right foot driving around my development. PT is only a half mile outside the development so I can almost roll there once I'm on the highway. I've got to start to add more activities everyday. It's very hard for me to do that though but I'll keep trying.
 
Sounds like things are a little brighter for you today Marian. Hope you can get some more nutrients in you. Glad your daughter will be around to give you a little help this evening. One day, or even hour, at a time. :flwrysmile:
 
I hope the meds don't hurt your tummy. Good deal that you're feeling some better that your daughter is coming to cook for you. Hopefully, you'll be able to eat some of it. I bet you will!
 
I can imagine the ongoing physical drain combined with the change in your other medication making you feel down. My guess is you are pretty good at hiding it most of the time and trying to just tough it out.

I'm glad you had a heart to heart with your daughter and had a productive appointment with your psychiatrist.
You're right. Even if she could drop off some freezer meals or come and walk the dog now and then it would give you a break. And it will be nice to have a meal prepared and some company for dinner tonight.
 
The Bactrim does not seem to be bothering me too much. I'll keep taking it for now.

Finally broke 90 degrees flexion with a whopping 92! It has increased 8 degrees in the last three weeks of outpatient PT. I'll take any increase because it seemed like I was going no where.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom