Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

I saw the OS this morning and his PA. It was like a double visit. He extended my short term disability to 9/15. So hopefully all the paperwork will be taken care of in the next few days. He told me he would write me out as long as I need. I told him how sick I've been feeling with nausea and vomiting and the fact I keep losing weight. He sent a note to the ID doc and asked me to call them. The ID doc put the Doxycycline on hold. Wants me to see my PCP ( which I will this afternoon) to make sure nothing else is wrong and I now have an appointment with the ID on Wednesday. That's a 90 minute trip and I'm not sure how I'll make it there. It took me an hour for my visit today and I had to sit in my car for twenty minutes or so before I could start driving home. Maybe I'll feel better by then.

I'm just a mess now because I'm worried about everything. I'm totally worn out already but I have to get to the doctor this afternoon. The OS wants me to start outpatient PT. I'll make an appointment for next week when I return home this afternoon. I have to be discharged by the home PT prior to starting outpatient. Their last visit will be in the beginning of the week. I'm worn out for the day already but I'll push on to the PCP visit so I won't have to wait to get that visit in another day.
 
I know this is terribly hard, but it sounds like you have an understanding os and your doctor's are hopefully going to work together to help you through. I hope stopping the doxycycline will help with the nausea. I really feel that if you could eat better, your body could heal faster. Best wishes, Marian.
 
No wonder you are exhausted. You can't eat and are still going and going. Why not put off that outside PT until you get stronger? Your poor body is beat down and needs to build back up. Rest and food is what you need.
 
Let us know what your PCP says, won't you, Marian? I hope you can take several days of doing nothing but rest after that.
I'm glad your OS is giving you more time off. You need to be fully recovered before you contemplate going back to work. Your poor body has taken such a battering.
 
I am glad that you got your leave extended. I am sending you good thoughts and hope you can get some rest.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
So off I went to the PCP office and met with a doctor I never met before or one I would prefer not to again!
My BP was elevated and my pulse was up and I had a very mild fever. He decides I needed to go to the hospital ER because I could be getting septic and in that case I would 'need that knee ripped out'. (tell me something I don't know! :tantrum:). So off I go to the ER. After a couple of hours I finally get blood test results and all looks good. My Hgb is almost normal again. All my electrolytes and liver function tests are normal. Only my kidney function number was slightly raised which could be due to the antibiotic. My nephrologist will get the results and let me know if I have any other problems. So after two of my daughters come racing in I was released! Thank goodness, I was never so frightened to walk into a hospital in my life! ( RN here).

They did take blood cultures but that will tracked a couple of days but they are not likely to be positive. So I'm off the Doxycycline for now, ID doc told me that, until I see her Wednesday. My weight is now down 30 pounds in less than 3 months. I'm fat anyway so I'm just a bit lighter. Hopefully my nausea will calm down. One daughter stayed over to make sure I was ok. Really I just was worn out and couldn't handle my dogs last night. So far I'm ok, but I usually feel best early in the morning. It's raining very hard today and she has to drive several hours home and then out of state to a bridal shower today. I feel guilty bothering them though they did not protest at all. They both said they wanted to come. My pregnant daughter called me and text my other daughters to know everything that was going in. I'm truly blessed with 3 wonderful girls!
 
Ugh, Marian, the ER! I truly know how much you didn't want to go there and go through the whole process again of having someone think they can fix your problem when you know that's not possible. I had 2 weeks between the rifampin and the PICC antibiotics before starting on the doxycycline, I was worried, but nothing came up infection wise. I'm sure you'll be ok until you see the ID. This will be a good trial to see how the nausea goes.
 
Sorry you had to go to the ER, I think all you needed was a doctorectomey. Hope you never see that person again.
Hopefully, now that you are off antibiotics you start to feel better.
 
Oh, dear! How scary! And I am not sure your PC is even erring on the side of caution. Hysteria, maybe?? So glad all is ok!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am so sorry you had to go to the ER - that's never any fun. I am glad that you aren't having nausea this morning. I have my fingers crossed that it continues for you.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh my goodness, you have been through it again. Thank God every thing was OK. Also, thank God you could eat this morning!
 
I'm sorry you had to go through seeing the doctor who needs a transfusion of tact and sympathy and that he sent you to the ER. IT's reassuring to know that your blood tests are all normal, except for the kidney function which your nephrologist will deal with, if necessary. I expect the blood cultures won't grow anything, which will be reassuring.

I'm pleased the nausea is staying away and thrilled that both your daughters came to support you. Try not to feel guilty about having to ask for their help. That's what families are for!
Remember this article?
Assistance from friends and family: how to let go and accept it

:friends: and :loveshwr:
 
Sorry you had to take that scary trip to the ER. Glad everything was okay. Hoping you can feel even better in these next days to get your strength build up. Don't forget your protein.
 
Thanks for the article Celle to remind me. I've fought to get to a level of taking care of myself without anyone else so it's hard to accept help from others. It feels like a sign of weakness. I know if it were the other way around I'd be with them and do whatever is needed.

The doctor's office called yesterday afternoon and asked how I was. I told them I was not as nauseous. They asked me what tests were done and I told them it was blood tests and blood cultures. Apparently he wanted an X-ray of my stomach to check for an obstruction. I have no obstruction! My GI system is functioning so I'm passing stool and my urinary system is fine. I declined the test and the woman on the phone was very surprised to hear I refused to go. It would be a waste of time and money ( even if my insurance pays for it). They said to call next week and come back if I'm not feeling better. I told them I have an appointment with the PA I like on the 19th so I'll just keep that appointment. I won't see that doctor again. There is another doctor in the group I'd like to meet. If he's ok I'll stay or else I will have to find a different practice again.

Nausea is much better. I had some fruit this morning and I have some muffins I defrosted to try later. If I feel up to it I'll go get some groceries on Monday. I will try to add some protein drinks and foods to my diet now. I just hope on Wednesday I can get to the ID doctor. I need 90 minutes to get there and that is the farthest I have tried to drive. I've been driving using my left foot for the brake, but I had to stop fast the other day and I used my right foot as habit and stopped to car without a problem, but it really hurt!:swoon:
 
Marian, I'm sorry that you have had such a tough time. You are so strong, even if you don't feel like it. Reading your thread shows your strength. Yes, please let your daughters help. I'm like you, I hate to ask for help. I feel like I need to be able to do it myself. My pride gets in my way a lot and circumstances have been changing me to hopefully graciously let people help. They want to! Could anyone take you to your appt on Wed? That's such a long time for you to drive. Sending good thoughts and prayers and hugs for you!:friends:
 
I'm glad you are feeling able to eat some more, Marian. Your body does need that fuel, to help with healing.
If there's any way of getting someone to drive you to that appointment with the ID, please ask them. It's a long drive and you have to get back home as well.
 
There's no one available to go with me to my ID doctor visit. I'll just have to take my time getting there and back.

I've been eating more often and sleeping a lot more. I guess my body is now demanding what it needs to heal. It's ok with me that I do nothing but sleep on and off today. I only have to do a little housework later that will only take a little while. I can even use my floor 'robot' to mop my floor. I love my little machine.
 
Your little robot machine sounds really cool! We all can use one of those!

I'm sorry you don't have anyone to take you to that appointment. Leave plenty of time for a break or two if you need it. I guess you'll pass out in the recliner when you are home. I'll be looking for your update. I'm also glad you are able to get more nourishment. Thinking of you, prayers and hugs. :friends:
 
Hi Marian @newlybionic wow I just caught up on your thread and I am so sorry you have had such an awful time with your right knee tkr. I remember the OS going over with worst case scenario before surgery and thinking that's a scary thing to get an infection. But we still go ahead with the surgery because we know we want our lives back. So here is wishing you nothing but good progress and no more unpleasant surprises from now on. I think you have been through the ringer and what makes it worse is you understand the medical implications as you are a nurse. Thinking and praying for you. Hang in there and just take it one day at a time. I wish you had someone else that could help you with the drive to the I'd doc just take it easy and make stops to rest when you need to.

:friends::friends::friends:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom