Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

Congrats on becoming a Grandmother soon Marian! All the more reason you'll be enjoying those new knees one day. Yep, you don't want to push the driving until you are safe.
 
Oh boy! A baby girl! Congrats to your daughter and to you! Yep, this is a huge incentive for you to get that knee up and running! Soon you'll be running after that little grand daughter!
 
Congratulations on the new baby girl! The day my first granddaughter was born was one of the best of my life. Continue taking good care of yourself and you will be holding and loving that new baby soon.
 
@newlybionic Such exciting news!!! A new grandbaby!! That should bring nothing but smiles to a new grandma to be. Congratulations to your daughter and the whole family on this great news. Think of all those cuddles and fun times and yes, incentive to get that knee to good health. Bless you and this news is wonderful!
 
Congratulations on the first grandbaby! I've been feeling so down and discouraged. Reading your posts @newlybionic and @GingerP makes me realize I need to get over my pity party and buck up. So many of you have been through do much, @sistersinhim, @KarriB and so many more. You all are an inspiration to me. Thank you for continuing to share your stories.
 
Marian, I'm sure your daughter is over the moon! Such exciting news! :loveshwr:
Good news, you won't need t get down on the floor with a toddler for a bit!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so pleased for you and your daughter, Marian - and her husband too, of course! Just a few more months and you will be able to hold that precious baby.
 
What wonderful news, Marian! A grandbaby brings so much joy and love. You're going to be doing so much with and for her, and have many months to get ready. So very happy for you.
 
ahhhh i'm so happy for you Marian and your daughter and son-in-law. you can always order things online for new baby so you don't have to go to the mall if you're not up to it or if you're like me ~ overly cautious about going out into public until i'm more recovered. such a blessing for you.:angel:
 
I had my regular PT come today to measure my ROM. My extension has gotten better. It's not at zero but I'm not worried about it. Flexion was measured once again around 80. I allowed the PT to check to make sure my kneecap was tracking correctly when I tightened my quad. She did a little push on the kneecap and its tracking fairly well. It was slightly 'stuck'. I also allowed her to push on my tibia to see if I would get more flexion. She only did it to discomfort and measured there. It was in the upper 80's so she said to tell the OS it was 90 since 90 is considered a magic number by many OS for a MUA. I doubt I would consent to one right now anyway. My only concern is I'm supposed to be back at work in less than a month. I have to be on my feet for 10 to 12 hours a day. I'm hoping I can get some stamina back as I get very tired fairly easily.
 
I really don't think your knee will be ready for those long work days in a month's time, Marian.
Can you prepare your employer for a longer wait for your services? You know he won't be considerate once you get back.
 
Marian, I thought you found out you had more time that you could take off. I'm sure your OS would approve it.

Good news on getting a better ROM and extension! Your knee is coming along. It will be fine, I'm sure. Just look at how much you have been through and how much you'll be able to help others with your experience. You are a marvel!
 
Congratulations on the new grand baby! That is great news!

Work with your OS and HR team regarding your return to work date. With everything you've been through, you want to make sure you are ready to return. If you OS asks for light duty as PegGar16 suggests, you HR team has to make an accommodation for you. Just remember that you come first and you have rights.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Would the boss consent to shorter hours for a while? I went back 2 months after the infection surgery because when things turned around the knee did feel much better, but I was still really tired after 3.5 hours of teaching. The first week my bff actually came with me because she was afraid the RTKR would be too tired and sore to drive the 30 minutes home. I was ok by the next week. Of course we all put her to work those mornings!
 
I have to speak with the OS on Thursday. With my job there is no such thing as light duty. You either are working the shift or not. There's no in between. I can't afford to work less hours since I have no PTO hours to make up the rest of my time so I would get paid enough. My STD can be extended for another couple of months as far as company policy states.

I don't mind my knee hurting as much as the lack of energy that I continue to experience. My nausea continues and it makes it hard to eat anything at all. I've considered calling the ID doctor and seeing if I could take the antibiotic only once a day to see if that helps. I do have medicine for nausea but neither of them work very well.

I took a shower last night and almost fell three times. It really frightened me because I'm all alone. I had to lay on my bed for a while to get enough strength to get back down the stairs. The nausea hit me hard then too. I have all the equipment I can have in my shower and bathroom and that's the only reason I'm not still sitting on the floor in my shower. I'll have to make sure I feel energized before my shower next time.
 
I feel for your dilemma, Marian. I was afraid the infection would come back or there'd be another complication and I'd use all my sick days leaving me with no income. Sitting in the drs office, I cried that I needed to go back to work and wept to a friend that I had to care for myself financially. It is a frightening predicament when you're single. I had about a 100 paid sick days, but still I worried. So I understand your situation and how you feel. I am hoping your stamina increases and the nausea decreases.

Does the nausea come right after the doxycycline or all day?
 
@KarriB The nausea is on and off all day long. It makes it difficult to eat though I try to force myself. I eat something before I take the Doxycycline as my ID doctor has told me. I still can't seem to eat any proteins at all. I look at it and just can't even take a bite. I even take the anti nausea med that works the best prior to the antibiotic.

Since I'm eating only carbs I'm sure my blood sugar drops in between very easily. That's why I feel so tired. I just can't get down anything other than some fruit and simple carbs. I have some crackers and water with me most of the time.
 
Do you think the aversion could be due to something other than the doxycycline? Maybe the problems you had directly after the infection surgery? I wonder because this has been on going no matter which meds you're taking. What about the protein drinks Paula mentioned?
 
Those protein drinks plus motion-sickness pills got me through the first few weeks with I was taking the Oxy on schedule. The only other thing was I wanted ice cream and mixed nuts, but could eat only a bite or two.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom