Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

After I'm up and doing anything for 15 minutes or so the whole knee turns purple. It looks like I've taken a horrendous fall. Once elevated the color fades.
 
@newlybionic, sending you prayers and hugs as you continue on your incredibly challenging recovery journey. :console2:Your courage and determination just never fail to impress. No wonder you continue to worry; who wouldn't? I really hope you can somehow kick the nausea to the curb and begin to eat a healthy diet soon. After all you've been through, how could your poor knee not hurt? The stair incident couldn't have happened at a worse time....aaargggh! Better days just have to be coming soon.:prayer:
 
I remember asking Josephine about the same thing with my knee. She said it all all part of the healing process. Now, my foot and ankle are changing to dark purple, too, when down for a few minutes. So, I guess it's the body's way to sending more blood to the area that needs the most healing. Sounds good to me!
 
I went to the Vet today. Fortunately my youngest daughter came with me. After about 30 minutes or so of waiting I totally ran out of gas and needed to go sit in the car with the A/C running. I felt nauseous, dizzy and weak. My dogs had their check ups and shots for the year. They both need to have their teeth clean and I'll make an appointment for them as soon as I'm feeling better. One is far worse than the other so she will go first.

I was supposed to go a few other places with my daughter this afternoon but I'm out of energy. I become so weak so easily. I'm thinking of moving up my next visit to the PA at the PCP office since I can't seem to feel any better. It's really upsetting to me to feel this way. I never felt my age before and now I feel 20 years older. I miss me! I'm still having a few problems with my depression but I'll speak to my psychiatrist if it continues. I find myself crying easily over just about anything. Just the mention of a word that reminds me of something makes me cry. I just feel sad a lot of the time. I guess since I'm hurting a bit and feel so weak it's not helping very much.
 
Your body has been through so much this past year and it hasn't had time to build back up again. It's not surprising that your energy level is way down. And look how long you couldn't eat. You didn't lose your strength overnight and you won't gain it back overnight, either. Please try and eat as much as you can to feed your body the nutrients it so desperately needs. Don't get down on yourself. You've been through hell on earth and are just climbing back up. We are here for you.
 
((((((((((Marian))))))))))
I'm sorry you're depressed, but I think it's completely understandable. Your body has been through so much lately and that's bound to affect your mind as well. It would be unusual if you weren't depressed.
I hope your psychiatrist can help you to feel a bit better.

We're here, too, if you need shoulders to cry on. :loveshwr: :friends:
 
I hope you feel better soon Marian. I know how dragged out and tired you must be feeling. Things will get better!
 
((((Marian)))) better days will come, hopefully very soon.:angel:
 
Marian...that was a lot for you to go to the vet today even though you had your daughter to help. it's no wonder it took all of your energy. i still haven't done a grocery shopping yet, let alone take dog to the vet. you've been through so much more and due to nausea you haven't been able to nourish yourself properly ~ understandable. i'm just looking at your incision ~ it looks fantastic. i don't blame you at all for feeling down ~ this has taken up so much of your spring and summer but in the big scheme of things, it is a small part. it won't be long and you'll be up and about and looking back at this time. you don't realize how strong you are, getting through this. you are an inspiration to us with your kindness and support even though you're not feeling well. your job is to take care of yourself, mentally and physically and lean on your daughters and we will be here to listen.:mooncat:
 
Marian, I do hope you awake with a better day. Remember how it's normal to cry and be down with a normal TKR, not to mention the bout you've been through. You're handling it all really really well. This too will pass. I remember running out of gas in the check out lines at stores, I literally would be shaky, sweaty and just would need to get out of there. It will get better over time. Glad you were able to get your fur babies to the doc.
 
Marian, I do know how you feel. It seems as though you'll never be yourself again or be able to live your normal life. Your body is still reeling from two surgeries and a serious infection. Just one activity a day is best until you're feeling yourself and have more energy. I hope you can rest today. Would one of your daughters be able to pick up a comfy outside chair for you? I know the cabin fever is horrendous and just getting outside to rest with some sunshine may help your spirits.
 
@newlybionic Marian, I can relate to many of the emotional feelings you are having. My whole planned out idea of how my tkr was going to happen has long disappeared. It's like a really bad carnival ride some days and seems like they won't let us off!!

It's hard to focus on healing when what we know and learn from our bone smart friends doesn't seem to work that way for us. We are strong women you and I , and for the most part doing all we can on our own to do what we need for ourselves. You mentioned crying at the hearing of words or memories - the other day, I was watching TV and it's a show I like and there wasn't anything serious or heartbreaking, but here I was crying my eyes out. Yep, no reason whatsoever.

I can do it just writing here to my bone smart friends too. We were so hopeful for good things with our TKR and good things did come from it, just not the path we would prefer. It's the hurt of our idea and dreams of how the scenario was going to play out. We prepped ourselves for the outcome most people get and here we are in a situation that seems to only be one struggle after another. We didn't sign up for that part, yet here we are dealing with it. Take good care of yourself. Give yourself some LOVE.

Our expectations are high for recovery and where we are we have to look for little things as victories - even if for 1 minute - that we don't feel consumed by what we are working on with healing. I struggle and in checking in with you, your struggles are different, but knowing we have a wonderful support Community here helps with some of those rough spots.

Praying that you will get answers, relief, rest and healing my dear tkr friend. One day at a time......
 
@GingerP Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone with my crying at almost anything. At times I felt so alone even though I could have a friend visiting. You are hanging in there with your wound and you do amaze me with your ability to handle the fight you are having getting your wound to heal.
 
In a couple of weeks I'll be coming up on two years since my knee journey has started. My left knee needed a revision after only 8 months because of a poor OS and dealing with months of hearing all was well but a new OS fixed it and other than some stiffness it functions well. The revision was in March of last year. So when my right knee started to really slow me down I went ahead with this replacement. My OS said it would be much easier than the revision but of course it wasn't. My OS felt so bad he kept apologizing to me that this had happened. It wasn't his fault, it just happened. I guess all of this has really beaten me down. I've had four surgeries in less than 2 years. I'm too old for this. :old:

I know it will end, but without seeing any improvement, it gets me down. I see my OS on Thursday to see what he says. I really couldn't even consider more surgery right now. My thigh muscles in my leg ache most of the time. I wish I had a whirlpool available. I'd probably sit there for hours. Then I would have to call 911 to get a old fat woman out of the tub! :bath:
 
@newlybionic it's about keeping up the faith that one day all this will be in our past. IN all the things I thought I have experienced so far in my life, I had no idea I would be exposed to all the medical terminology and ideas and ways of doing things to get what I thought at first was a simple little hole to heal. It may as well been the grand Canyon for the effort on a lot of people's part to get me going . And, I have a long way to go yet.
Stay strong dear friend.
 
Marian, you are definitely not alone in your tears. You are one of many that has been a huge comfort for me during these last, almost 6 weeks. I was going along, thoroughly enjoying my new knee and being without a cane for the first time in over 20 years, when bam!, I found that darn hole. Four broken places and non weight-baring for over 5 weeks had me crying frequently and asking, "Why me, God?" Of course, that answer is "Why not me?". Falling right on my new knee was terrifying and of course, the after effects were painful. But, even worse than that, the loss of use of that knee had it complaining loudly.

With all your problems, you were always finding the time to help me through this. I know it'll be a long time healing, which is so depressing, but all of us will get there one day! I continue to pray for you and many on this wonderful site!
 
Sistersinhim I was not aware iv your recovery and the up and downs with it. I'm very sorry!!!!and wish I had been more of a support.
Tears I feel comes with the territory and currently I've had my quota but with saying that there will be no tears makes me want to tear up!!!The tears will be on the horizon now... gliding, dissolving into the bigger picture.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had some good news yesterday ! My oldest is expecting my first grandchild and let us know she's having a baby girl. :roseshwr: :happydance: She's due around my birthday in November. I'm thrilled and need to start shopping for some pink baby clothes! Now there's a good incentive to get better. :yes!:


My girls have been inviting me places but I just run out of gas so easily. :zzz: One lives 90 minutes away and the other is two hours. I'm still driving with two feet and don't want to drive that far until I can drive normally. My youngest was with me on Friday and overnight until Saturday morning. She's also 2 hours away but will be moving slightly closer this month. I really want to be able to do things with my girls. I miss them a lot.
 
Hopefully you'll be able to make that drive soon. :yes:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom