Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

My knee is sore behind it and swollen - but I know an MRI last year indicated a Bakers Cyst so I figure fluid from my knee keeps hiding out there (darn). Have they ever mentioned a Bakers Cyst behind your knee? This limits my bend at times. You have every right to be nervous but you are still early in this marathon and your body has been through a lot. I still keep you in my BoneSmarties nightly prayer.
 
@newlybionic it's been a long time since I've been on, but I remembered you from my previous postings. I read thru your posting from your last rtkr. When things go wrong they really seem to go wrong. It seems that way with all of us that have posted having issues. Sounds like you are finally on the mend, but I think having a tkr surgery alone is depressing then add to it any issues it just accumulates. Lack of sleep, eating well, having a appetite to eat all add into this. If your appetite is still off, you could try boost or ensure the bottles are small and are packed with the protein our bodies need to help us heal. I also take the Vit D and asked for a refill this spring when I started being achy, I also sweat easily, I just need to remember to take them once a wk. You've helped so many of us with your kind comforting words during our recovery, I hope we are all able to do the same for you.
 
My knee is slightly swollen especially at the end of the day. If I use ice I shiver and sweat at the same time and the pressure of just the weight of the ice pack hurts. After icing, when the swelling is minimal, my ROM is still no better. I've been trying to do some stretches but no matter what I do I'm not making any headway.

@jaschembra I am considering to at least asking for additional X-rays when I return to the OS office. I'll send them a message prior to my visit. It does seem like most of the time the back of my knee is stopping any bend.
There is something not quite right.

@zzevi Thank you for your very kind words. I'm hoping the additional Vitamin D helps with the sweating, muscle aches and bone pain. Maybe that is holding up my progress? I don't know.

I've considered trying my bike. I bought it last summer and I have it on a very secure trainer in my garage. I would like to try it but I think I'll wait until one of my daughters or sons-in-law are here to just be next to me just in case. Since I've been stuck in this Murphy's law phase ( what ever can go wrong, will! :heehee:) it would be my luck to fall and break a bone somewhere! I could ask my PT for help too. I'll see what she suggests.
 
Marianas, you have definitely been in a "Murphys Law" phase, and I pray that it is over. I do agree that you should be extra careful right now, though. I hope the vitamin D starts to help soon. I also hope your pt finds a way to help with your rom or the OS figures out what is wrong. Sending hugs to you today.
 
...and I know you are a nurse, but you are regularly taking your temperature (just to be safe), correct?

Yes, I would definitely wait until some could help with the bike - don't want to see you topple over
:bicycle1:
 
Before my recumbent bike I had a regular exercise bike. After my TKR I needed a little stool to get on it. Maybe that would help?
 
You've certainly had a checkered progress this time, Marian, with lots of complications. Surely something has to go right soon!

It's a good idea to forewarn your surgeon that you're concerned about ROM. When is your next appointment?

Since icing is so uncomfortable for you, I think your could skip it and concentrate on elevating . It's probably internal swelling, together with muscle tightness, that is stiffening up your knee, but it's wise to have everything checked out.

Go easy on that bike, if you do get to use it.
:friends:
 
I think it's a good idea to have your knee checked out. If there's nothing wrong, at least you'll know it.

I wish you nothing but complete healing and less pain.
 
My next appointment with my OS is on July 6th. I'll send him a message this week about the lack of progress. Today it's worse than it's been all week. I tried some easy stretching earlier today but as the day has gone on it's getting stiffer. I have a little bit of ice on it right now. I'm considering getting my ice machine back out since I can control the amount of cold. The weight of the ice packs sometimes hurts when it's placed on my knee.

I've had no fevers since I've been home from the hospital over a month ago and my knee is hot at all. There is no signs of an infection present. I've got my fingers crossed I make it through the next week or so without problems. I am supposed to continue my oral antibiotic for a total of 4.5 months. Other than a bit of nausea I'm doing ok with it.

Even though my ROM is not that great, I have been able to walk a bit farther everyday and at a close to normal speed. Other than the first few steps or if I'm doing stairs I can get around without my cane. I am so bored. If I could just get some more strength back I could do more during the day.

I will see what my PT says about my bike when she comes next week. I'll go by whatever she decides. I have a mat to put on my floor in my family room and then I can set the bike on top of it. There's no way I could peddle it all the way around. I'm not sure how easy the seat is to adjust.
 
Does your doxycycline bottle say to not take with food? Mine did and it made me nauseous. I talked with my ID and she said it was ok to take with food, just not dairy.
 
@KarriB My ID doctor told me to take it with food if I had nausea. I usually eat a few crackers when I take it. It does say to take it with a full glass of water.
 
I sent a message to my OS about my lack of improvement with my ROM. He and his PA are usually in surgery on mondays so I don't think anyone will get back to me until later today. My appointment is on July 6th. I'm getting concerned myself. I wish I could see any improvement at all.
 
I hope you will hear from him. How's your swelling?
 
The PA messaged me to ask if my ROM had decreased or if it never progressed at all. I told her it just never progressed after the I&D surgery. I haven't heard back yet but this is surgery day.

The swelling is minimal first thing in the morning but the ROM isn't any better then or any other time of the day.
 
I was hoping it was due to your swelling. I bet you're still really swollen inside. Hopefully, you will get some answers.
 
The PA is not very concerned however I'm not sure the OS will feel the same way. My thigh muscles are bothering me plus the front and back of my knee. I'm constantly massaging my thigh to help reduce the pain. I've tried cold and heat without any help. The incision line on the top of my knee goes above my knee almost 6 inches into my quads. That's the area where the infection was the worse. I'm sure that has something to do with the problem I'm having now. The PA says there can be extra scarring present due to the two surgeries. I have an appointment next week but if I want to come in sooner I can. I can't even think about any extra surgery on this knee right now, even arthroscopically. I don't want to consider a MUA because of my thigh pain. I guess I'll wait until next week since nothing can be done right now. No signs of infection so maybe more time is what I need.
 
I'll be interested to hear what your surgeon says, Marian. I wonder if your thigh is guarding and preventing the bend, because it's still "in shock". That's not a medical diagnosis at all, just an idea that your tissues are thinking like you probably feel: "I've been through a lot, I'm still sore, and I'm not going to work until I feel better."
:friends:
 
Marian, I agree with Celle. I wonder if it could be taking longer because of the infection and you were working on bending early after surgery per OS instruction. My revision specialist originally told me he would be happy if I reached 90 degrees. It was a month and a half after the washout before I got a full rotation on the bike. Have you thought of using a TENs unit on the Thigh?
 
I wasn't feeling up to much PT this morning. I actually got quite pale and felt very dizzy. I immediately sat down ( on the steps where I was doing a little stretching with the PT). Once I was able to do so I walked back to my recliner. We tried to do several stretches while sitting but the thigh muscles wouldn't cooperate. I called my PCP office to get my current HgB. I was told it had gone up but I didn't know the value. I'm currently at 9.7 which is better but still low. My normal is above 12. I've got to try to get proteins in me. I'm still having problems eating anything other than simple carbs.

@Celle , the PT and I discussed the same idea you made in your post. I think that is possible. There is also the possibility of scarring since the OS went down to the prosthesis to clean out everything. They scrub out the entire area.

@KarriB I don't know about a TENS helping as it contracts the muscles in the area. I really don't know if it would help or not. I didn't ask the PT or PA about it at all. Anyone have any thoughts about it? I have a TENS somewhere in my house.
 
It wouldn't hurt to try the tens. Maybe the contraction will make it loosen up. Who knows?!
 
Back
Top Bottom