Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

Sending hugs and prayers your way!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yay for steps in the right direction x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The nurse came this morning to finally change the dressing and to draw blood. I decided she is truly inept and she did a few things that could have caused my PICC line to be clotted which would have even lead to having to have it removed and a new one being put in. The dressing was changed but she left an area not covered fully which could lead to an infection at the PICC insertion site. When she did draw the blood she had to toss at least one of them because they weren't filled enough because of her not doing what I told her should be done. I called the agency and voiced all my concerns going back to the first time I received the antibiotics at home last tuesday. I called the infusion company and fixed her mistakes and explained to the nurse what she did wrong. I always feel sorry for patients treated by inept nurses. I actually cried when I spoke to her nurse manager.

My ID doctor called me this afternoon. She got the results of my Vanco levels in my blood which is used to see if my levels are therapeutic. They came back high so the doctor has it on hold until another blood test is drawn on Thursday. I might only be only have to infuse the Vanco just once a day instead of twice a day so I'm happy about that prospect. It's only a 90 minute infusion but just being stuck to one place for that period of time seems to make it longer. Lol

It seems like every afternoon I have a 'witching hour'. I just start crying because of how much my life has changed. :bawl: I went from working full time as a nurse to being someone with now some kidney and liver problems, a MRSA infection, a 30% chance of having to have to have more surgery on my knee and just feeling of incapable of doing anything. The doctors in the hospital also cut my medication way down that I was taking for severe depression. My psychiatrist's car is having work done on it but she plans to do a house call! She's an amazing person. She only charges me $30 for a full hour visit because she doesn't take my insurance. You don't hear of any doctor doing that these days (at least where I live). Every private patient she has is able to contact her via text messages or calls to her cell phone.
 
Hi Marian! I am really sorry you are having to go through this. I did not let the the infusions keep me in one spot...I had those little infusion balls and it worked great. I could tuck them in a loose pocket or even under my shirt in the bra (cleavage has multiple purposes..LOL). If I was out of the house I would have the alcohol pads and flushes in a ziplock bag in my purse. It is workable, don't let it keep you down. I hope they give you a better nurse for the next visit. You will feel better when they get your depression meds back on track and a house call is awesome. I am sending positive vibes your way. Remember you can handle this!!!! :)
 
((((((((((Marian))))))))))

I hope your phone call to the agency results in you being allocated a different, more competent nurse. Didn't the other nurse flush your PICC line?
You probably can't draw your own blood, but is there any chance you could be allowed to do your own infusions? Or is the line in a place that's hard for you to access?

God bless your psychiatrist! I hope she gets to you soon and can adjust your medications for depression. Just a chat with her will probably make you feel much better, too.

You're in a bad place right now, but things are going to get better. The Vanco is going to kill that MRSA and your knee is going to get better. This bad spell isn't going to be permanent. You will get back to being healthy and competent again. You're going to be able to enjoy that expected grandbaby as well.

[Bonesmart.org] Right knee has been replaced
[Bonesmart.org] Right knee has been replaced
 
Marian, I know I told you before, but I cried nearly every day the first month of my infection. I think it was the combination of all the meds recent surgeries and the shock of reality.
Do you think they'll give you a new nurse? Did they give you an extender for the PICC yet?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You have every right to get those afternoon blues. Once your depression meds get straightened out, I'm sure you'll snap right back. Your body has really been through a shock, and it still is. That MRSA will be gone before you know it! Your knee will be fine and you'll be going back to work without that awful arthritis pain you had before your tkr!
 
I've been assigned a new nurse who will be here sometime on Thursday to draw more blood and fix the dressing on the PICC line. The nurse from the infusion company talked me through putting extensions on both ports with my daughter acting as nurse. My daughter and I have been doing all the infusions and with both extensions I can do the daily flushes on both lines myself. I actually did last nights set up my self. My daughters or friend had to flusn the other port since without the extensions I couldn't do it myself. Now I can.

All I need a nurse for is to come draw blood weekly and to change the dressing on the same time. I've been doing my own wound dressing changes by myself. So that has all been settled with the agency.

Peg I wish I had the antibiotic ball! How much easier my life would be. I have an IV pole (without any capabilities to roll it around). It takes 90 minutes for the 250ml bag to empty. The Vanco is refrigerated until I use it. So nice cold fluid straight into my veins!

I see my OS in the morning (8:40). I will be praying all night. All my fingers and toes will all be crossed too. :prayer:
 
Oh Marian, I'm so sorry but glad to see you writing and sharing with us. As a fellow nurse I understand it's the opposite of who we are. BUT this will pass and you will get back. It's a good reminder to us all, we could be an hour, day or heartbeat away from life changes. Know we support you and I think your emotions are so normal. I haven't been through what you are and my emotions were a mess with just normal knee replacement. I'm glad your doc is coming to you! You are surrounded with good thoughts and prayers.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yay! A new nurse! I had some sort of pump (maybe Freedom Pump?) for my antibiotics which were also refrigerated until use. I changed my own wound dressing but the nurse checked it every Monday when she came for the PICC. That PICC dressing would be tricky to try to do yourself and MUST stay dry, so you need an experienced nurse to do that. When I was finally allowed to shower after a month I used Press N Seal and wound several layers around my upper arm. Let us know what the OS has to say tomorrow.
 
Excellent, a new nurse for you. It sounds like the old nurse needs more training. I pray that your tests are improving!
 
Marian, I'm thinking of you and sending good, healing thoughts your way. It's been since December since my tkr, but I'm still dealing with my incision being open. I too get really "blue" times and just want it all to be over waiting on healing. Being a patient -patient is very hard to do. As a nurse, it has to be so difficult when you see such inept people taking care of you. How does that happen?
Sending my love and good thoughts for you to hAve a good visit with your OS. Stay strong if you can.
 
So very glad you got a new nurse, seeing as you could not feel comfortable with the care the other gave. If you are getting care you can trust, you can relax into that care and just focus on healing. Crossing my fingers you hear good news from the OS visit. You are way overdue for a break.
 
Hey I totally understand the blues as I have been fighting them as well, so hang in there and know we are here to listen and support you in any way you need! Good luck with the appointment! Xx
 
:yes!::happydance::yay::dancy::egypdance: The OS said the incision looks great!!! I have no drainage to speak of. Maybe a very tiny drop but that's all. The nurse yesterday was telling me how bad and infected it looked. I knew she was wrong. What a jerk! So the OS removed all the sutures ( some really stung a lot and I grabbed my daughters arm so hard). He placed steri strips covering the whole incision. He told me I could shower but just let the water run over it. I'm too afraid to even think about doing that. I do have these huge ted gloves and sleeves that run up to my shoulder that I can cover the PICC. I think some baths at my sink using a little soap and wash towels and I also use some baby wipes with aloe to keep my skin from drying up too much.

I'm to do back in two weeks so he can keep a close eye on it. He saw that I really can't flex my leg very far at all. It probably was only around 70 today but he told me not to worry about it since it will get better in time. He brought up the idea of going to outpatient PT now but I couldn't get myself there right now. Once I can bend a bit more there is a PT office within a half mile of the entrance of my development. Even though the speed limit is 45mph I probably can wait until I see no cars and have enough time to just roll over to their parking lot. Obviously I am not ready to attempt that now. I like the PT that comes to my house. I'll see how I feel in two weeks. I have a bike in a very secure stand but my daughter doesn't want me to try it. Maybe I'll try it with the PT.
 
What good news, Marian! Great to hear the stitches are out, too. And you even have a new nurse coming. I'm so very glad you got rid of that other one. It sounds like she has no idea what she's talking about. I'd be skiddish about showering, too.
 
Things are sounding up for You! It's a good thing you know how to advocate for yourself. It is really great to read that you are getting better.
 
that's good news for you. maybe you could take a cab or uber to outpatient physiotherapy, rather than driving yourself. best wishes to you.
 
Sounds like an excellent OS visit Marian. I too wouldn't be in any hurry to take a shower right now. So glad everything seems to be working in the right direction. Keep on keeping on and the daily prayers continue.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom