Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

Glad these two days of dr visits are over and you were a trooper!!! Now it's time to continue healing. Sending prayers daily for you.
 
I, too, am in awe of your strength and perseverance. When I want to whine about some little issue, I think about how really blessed I have been with you fairly easy recovery. I am still praying for you and think about you all the time.
 
Congratulations on your upcoming grandchild! They are so awesome...I wish mine were closer to visit or stay with us! So get well soon so you can be ready to be grandma!
 
Just checking in to see how you're doing, Marian.
 
Just caught up with the last few weeks. Marion you are a superwoman! Your handling this situation with grace and perseverance. I'm sending you lots of healing vibes. The awful taste bud drama will go away once off the antibiotics. When I was on IV Citroen for my diverticulitis I had something similar. Biotene mouth rinse helped with the metallic taste. Your going to see the light at the end of the tunnel soon. Take it one day at a time.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I live! At times in the last week or so I wasn't so sure. My ID doctor ordered an oral antibiotic called rifampin. The medication just knocked me down on my back and made it nearly impossible to eat or drink. Fortunately it now has been stopped but it's been taking me a while to get it out of my body. It's almost a week now and I'm still feeling some effects from it.

I've had to force myself to eat and drink every three hours or so while I'm awake. My energy stores are very low so after about 30 minutes I need to take a nap. I'm hoping I can build up some stamina soon. I still have a
job to get back to. My OS extended my short term disability until august 1st from July 10th.

My lab results are getting better though my hemoglobin is still down in the 8s. It should be upwards of 12 or more. I'm going to have to try to increase my intake of proteins but right now the best I can tolerate are some carbohydrates and a very little bit of dairy. I've also been adding a little bit of fruit each day.

My range of motion is poor. I saw my OS on Thursday and he told me he wants my flexion to be 100 or more by the next time he sees me in four weeks. He did put a little pressure on it to see if it would get to 90 but the best my home PT has measured has been 78. My home PT, who I truly like, has realized how sick I've been but I have still allowed her to visit me 2-3 times a week. My thigh muscles front and back have been knotted up a lot and she has concentrated on a lot of massage before we attempt to do any exercises at all. I only push to being uncomfortable to the beginning of pain and then I stop. I have control of when to start or stop any exercise.

Due to my weakness I've been using a walker the majority of the time. My OS wanted me to stop using anything at all while at home and to grab onto furniture if I need steadying. I did that for one afternoon and my quad knotted up so badly it wasn't until the next day when my PT was here was she finally able to massage out the knott. It was very painful. The PT does not want me to go without anything and I agreed. I'm concentrating now on using my cane and taking full strides while hitting my heel first and rolling through my foot and off my toes. That did help me gain range of motion with my other knee post op without having to do lots of exercises.

I've had a hospital bed in my family room. I have t used it in days other then with my PT and to make it easier for my home nurse to change my PICC line dressing weekly. I'm calling and getting rid of it this week. I have a new bike I got a year ago that is in a very secure stand that I can use in my house. On Friday I'll see if my youngest will bring it in from the garage for me so that I can start to use it. Even if I just go back and forth for a while it will be a help.

So at this point hopefully my infection won't come back. Only some time will tell. I have 11 days of Vanco left and then the PICC can come out. I plan a two hour shower as soon as possible after that. Lol. They will prescribe an oral antibiotic for a while afterwards which I hope I can tolerate. It's been hard coming to the realization of how easily you can lose your health. I'm still following up with 4 different doctors. I'm 62 and at times I feel many years older. I came into this elective surgery completely healthy. Most of my labs are normal and hopefully the rest will follow.

I hope all stay well and I will try to follow up on your threads soon.
 
it's great to hear from you, Marian. you've been through so much, i can't even imagine. sounds like everything is starting to improve and it won't be long before you get your strength and stamina back. i wish the surgeons wouldn't pressure us to attain a certain range of motion within a limited time span. your r.o.m. is better than mine, which was measured at 76 degrees. you have a good relationship with your home physiotherapist who respects your limits and appreciates you've been ill. wishing you all the best for a complete recovery. :console2:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't let your OS bum you out. You know that ROM will come as your knee heals. It's had a double whammy with the infection you and it has been fighting. You just concentrate on getting your health and strength back.
 
@newlybionic, your strength and determination is such an inspiration to all. I am hopeful you are finally turning the appropriate healing corner and will soon be on the road to real recovery and good health. Sending you best wishes as you continue, literally, one foot in front of the other. We are all cheering for you!:console2:
 
Your report sounds like you are turning a corner for the better Marian. Prays continue. You've got this!
 
Thank you for the update. I wish you continued strength and determination as you face this challenge. I am glad you are seeing improvements!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad to hear you're starting to feel a bit better, Marian.

As Paula said, don't let your OS worry you about ROM. It will come, but remember that your knee has had the set-back of infection, which will have slowed it down.

I agree with your PT - don't try walking with no support yet. If you feel secure transitioning to a cane, do that, but be prepared to use the walker towards the end of the day, when you are tired.

You've had two major surgeries in just over a year, plus an infection to fight. You need time to recover strength and fitness. Do what you can, but don't try to do too much. Be kind to yourself and kind to your knee.

Any progress is good, no matter how slow it is.
[Bonesmart.org] Right knee has been replaced
 
I agree with Celle, the two surgeries with the added infection is exhausting for our bodies. I was whipped for over a month after the infection surgery and even 2 months later when I returned to work I rested most afternoons and evenings.
Remember, I gained ROM well into year 2 of recovery. To be honest, I was so relieved to be well I was happy with whatever I ended up with. Once those tissues settle down from the washout and infection you should be able to bend.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your encouragement and prayers. I have an appointment with my ID doctor this coming Wednesday. I'm hoping that whatever oral antibiotic she chooses to put me on once the IV ones are done on the 20th my body can tolerate. I don't want to feel so sick again.

I at least got outside and sit in the shade with my two dogs today. I've been very fortunate to have a friend staying with me most of the time. She takes my dogs for walks and helps me with anything I need. I've been blessed with a good friend.

I've been using my cane most of the time but my walker is nearby for whenever I feel too tired or weak. I've been having all my quad muscles tighten and cramp often. I've been massaging them a lot. It has been like this since the second surgery but it has been getting better. I'm not going to go nuts worrying about my ROM numbers but I will just be happy with being able to do what I want. I'm working on trying to walk at close to a normal rate. Right now it at only be 5 or 6 steps at a time but I will work to increase that. Then I will move on to another goal.
 
I bet getting outside felt wonderful! Fresh air can do a world of good! I'm sorry your are having those quad cramps. Have you tried a heating pad on them?
 
Marian, it was so good to see your update. It's great that you are getting better. Your attitude sounds great, just take this at your pace. Sounds like you have a really good PT.
 
Hi Marian. Did you appointment with ID go well? Happy to see you are getting around better.
 
The ID visit went well. My last dose of the Vancomycin IV is Tuesday and then the visiting nurse can remove the PICC line. I'm not sure I want to watch that since it is pretty long and I don't want to even think about all of it was in me! After I stop the Vanco I will be on oral antibiotics for 4.5 months. A side effect of the medication is nausea! I'm so tired of having nausea! They weighed me at my visit yesterday and since my replacement surgery I've lost over twenty pounds. While I wouldn't mind losing more weight, this is definitely NOTthe way I wanted to do it.

So according to my doctor there are two,points when the infection will show itself if it is not gone. The first is once the IV meds are done. If my knee gets more painful and starts to ooze then it's still there. The second time is when I stop the oral antibiotics. It's very scary to me to think a time bomb might be in my knee. I'm trying to stay positive but I'll be much happier in a couple of weeks if everything is going well.

Currently my ROM is not very good. I haven't been able to get to 90 degrees yet. I've been concentrating trying to just feel better and then I'll worry about my knee. My OS is the one concerned about the ROM. I am going to work on goals. My first goal is to drive again. My youngest will e home tomorrow and I'm going to try to drive a little in my development with her with me. That way she can be there to take over. Once I go out of my development the speed limit is 50 with lights and traffic. So that's a bit harder. I'll have to see how it goes. I just need some freedom! It's been over two months since I've been stuck home. I,would be happy if I could at least drive to Dunkin Donuts a mile away to go through their drive through!
 
Marian, you've had much too much on your plate to worry about ROM right now. You know it'll come. Just get well!
 
I took my first trip out of my house not involving a doctor visit. I drove a little bit too. It's going to take me a little longer to feel completely comfortable but I at least know if I have to drive I can. I have a doctor visit nearby ( only 10 miles away) on Monday so I should be able to make that visit. I'm trying to establish a new primary care doctor but I could only get an appointment with the PA. At least I'll become an established patient. All my doctors then will be within the same hospital system so they all have access to my records on line. That hospital also built a brand new facility which is closest to my home.

I had a little bit to eat at Red Robin which serves hamburgers, salads and wraps. I only ate about a third. Which is a lot for me. I went to Target and used their motorized cart. I had been wanting to pick up a small gift for my oldest which I was finally able to do. My youngest went into the grocery store for me and grabbed a few things and my prescriptions from the pharmacy. We then had to go pick up one of my dogs who was at the groomer. I was gone just a bit over two hours and I am totally exhausted. I was going to try to stop at my work but just had no energy. Maybe next week I might get there. I do need to talk to my boss.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom