Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

He brought up the idea of going to outpatient PT now but I couldn't get myself there right now. Once I can bend a bit more there is a PT office within a half mile of the entrance of my development. Even though the speed limit is 45mph I probably can wait until I see no cars and have enough time to just roll over to their parking lot. Obviously I am not ready to attempt that now. I like the PT that comes to my house. I'll see how I feel in two weeks.
I wouldn't be in a hurry to start out-patient PT, Marian. You know the ROM is going to come as your knee heals. It's better to stay home and do a little exercise there than to risk driving too soon.

It's good to hear that things are improving now. :yay: :friends:
 
Sounds like you had a great visit and I am glad you are seeing improvement. I am so glad that you got rid of that nurse!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm still having some ups and downs. I hit a time every day where I feel extremely tired and become very depressed. The depression doesn't last long, about an hour at most. Yesterday I was having a hard time getting info from the ID (infectious disease) doctor as to the dosage of the antibiotics I was supposed to take. She had ordered it me to stop after the Tuesday morning dosage and their office was closed. It took a couple of days to track down the results of the blood tests taken Tuesday am. It did eventually get taken care of but not until 4:30pm. The Infusion company had to send one of their couriers here to bring up the medications and supplies.

The new nurse was ok, but still made a few mistakes one of which I caught before she could have caused me a big problem. She also errored with a couple of other things that she did so quickly I didn't have a chance to stop her.
 
Oh no, not another one that's incompetent. I'd call and get rid of her, too. That company needs to hire better nurses! At least you know things are being done wrong. What about the poor ignorant people that doesn't know any better? How scary this is.
 
I am still having problems trying to eat anything at all. I get down one or two bites if that. My daughters and my friend are will to cook or go get anything at all. I have meds for nausea that I take an hour before I try to eat. I have had constipation problems that I think I finally have found the right combination for me. My mouth and my tongue have a strange taste to them and my tongue burns with almost anything I eat. I see the ID tomorrow as that can be a side effect of Vanco.

My youngest incision has steri strips on it. I haven't gotten to take a shower yet but since my OS gave me the ok to rinse water over it I've used some steri saline water to pour over it the last few nights. Some of the steri strips have already peeled off. I have no drainage at all. I still have swelling in my knee and thigh. I've been massaging the fluid up my leg. It helps with some of the muscle cramping too. I don't really need very many pain meds during most days.

My PT came yesterday and did the massage on my leg. We then did some exercises that I could handle. To helped me get up to the second floor of my house where my bedroom and walkin shower are. I always am a bit afraid coming down as the top part of the steps only have railings on one side. While my other knee has enough strength and flexion to go down the steps I am very shaky because it had been the 'bad' knee for over 40 years. I made it back down. I'm going to try to wrap up my PICC line with theses huge gloves I was supplied with, some Saran Wrap and tape. I have a hand held shower head that I can use while sitting on my bench. It's too bad the PICC is in my right upper arm since I am right handed. I really, really need a shower!!!

I have another doctor visit tomorrow and then one on Thursday. Since I had so many things go wrong during this infection I feel like I'm 90 and have five different doctors I need to see. Hopefully some of them will clear me and I won't need to continue to see them. I've got my fingers crossed.

Thanks for all your prayers and good thoughts. So far so good.
 
Marian, my mouth was a mess for a few weeks. I tried everything, my ID gave me a prescription for some sort of mouth wash, but the only thing that helps was stopping the antibiotics. Nothing tasted right (except chocolate covered pretzels) and anything with much salt at all was awful. My bff brought chicken and dumplings to the hospital/rehab, I'd always loved her chicken and dumplings. I took one taste and said she used too much pepper, but apparently she hadn't used any pepper! My sense of smell was off also. While in the hospital/rehab everything smelled like woodsmoke and when I came home I thought I smelled weird. Isn't this fun? :tantrum:
 
No drainage, yay, and getting the constipation under control, yippee! Hopefully, you can get off of some of those meds and get that terrible taste out of your mouth. I wish I had something I could suggest, but I don't. Soon you'll be able to get that shower and it will feel like heaven! I missed them after a week. I can't imagine how bad you want one!
 
I had a very long and fairly painful day. I left my house at 8:15 this morning and finally got home at 530 this evening. I had two appointments today. One at 9:45 and one at 2:30. They were in the same building over an hour away from my house.

The first was with the ID doctor. She went over my labs with me. My Vanco levels are within the desirable range so I will stay on the same dosage. I have to infuse it through my PICC line once a day in the morning. My kidney levels were slightly elevated. They were very high (bad) in the hospital and then dropped to normal before discharge but rose again and now are starting to drop towards normal again. She also is starting me on an oral antibiotic called rifampin. It is to be taken twice a day. My pharmacy won't have it until later tomorrow. The Vanco infusions are supposed to end around the 20th of June and then they will remove the PICC line. She will then add one more oral antibiotic for a few months afterwards. So told me that MRSA is a fairly Ricky infection so there is no guarantee that I won't have further problems and need additional surgery to remove the prosthesis and replace it after another round of IV antibiotics. So please pray for me or think good thoughts for me.

After sitting in the hospital cafeteria for 3 hours I couldn't take it any more and we took the long walk to the nephrologist office. I was an hour early and then they were a half hour late. He wants some other blood work and a urine test. His was my first meeting with him. His first question was how long I had kidney problems or when was the sat time I had kidney stones. I told him I had no kidney problems at all prior to this infection. Then he wanted family history of kidney problems which is also negative for any kidney problems. So his thinking is that once I get off the Vanco my kidney function will return to normal. I know the home nurse can draw the blood no problem but I'm not sure if they can take a urine test to the lab. I'll have to cause the home nurse office in the morning. He wanted me to come back and have the same type of day again and I told him I couldn't handle that. So a phone call will suffice for now.

Needless to say my leg is swollen to the size of an elephant's leg from my knee up. The PT and I have been massaging it while it's elevated. So the leg is elevated and packed in ice. I also took some pain meds.

My youngest daughter has left and my middle daughter will be here in a few hours. She will work from here tomorrow until I have to get to my 4:00pm appointment with the GI doctor to address my liver problems that arose in the hospital. I know the enzymes are back to normal now. The thinking it was a drug induced problems caused by Cipro which I took one round of a couple of weeks before the original surgery for a UTI and then I took another round when it was first suspected that I had an infection in the incision. It just might be I have to keep away from that antibiotic.

I talk to one of my friends at work and they are all wishing I can come back as soon as possible but to make sure I'm ready though. There is one nurse who is just not pulling her weight never mind trying to help out while I'm not there. My boss has been letting her get away with a lot all along. He created a monster and now has to do something about it. There are only three of us in the office. Today she made fun of me by saying her leg and knee was hurting and she was going to have to leave early to go to a doctor. I guess the boss had enough and told her in front of my co-workers to stop lying and she cannot leave and must follow the schedule from now on and not just show up when she feels like it. The other nurse told my boss that she is ready to quit as she will not be put up with working all the early hours. The other nurse just has been showing up after the majority of the work has been completed for the day. I feel sorry for my friends but when I come back I too will make it clear I don't want to be taken advantage of. I will work my share but not more when someone I'd being lazy. I really think the only real way to fix the problem is to find a new nurse to replace her once I come back. I don't know if my boss would ever let someone go but it is what is needed to not burn out the rest of the staff.
 
my heart goes out to you Marian. it's nice to know you're being missed at work but you have to take care of YOU and accept that you won't be back until you are completely recovered. it's too bad when one nurse is not pulling her weight; creates tension in the environment. sending you hugs and prayers to get better soon and feel better while you're recovering. :console2:
 
Marian, I will pray all heals well with no additional surgery needed! I pray the infection is resolved, your pain and swelling decreases, and you get some relief. What a merry-go-round you have been on!:angel:

I didn't have an appetite for a long time either...the only thing that I liked eating was spaghetti meat sauce over a bit of rice...everything else tasted like cardboard! So I ate that every day!

I am not sure how much leave you have with work but don't let them talk you into, or make you feel guilty about coming back before you are ready! Your health is the most important!

Hang in there and know we all are pulling for you! :flwrysmile:
 
I was on oral rifampin along with the IV antibiotic. Don't be surprised when your urine turns pink or red. Did the ID warn you? A couple of times my tears were pinkish too. Even though I didn't have MRSA my infection was in the family so they treated it as if it was. My ID is pretty sure it was the rifampin that stopped my white cell production, so I'm hoping that doesn't happen with you too.

I wish you could just rest tomorrow and not have to travel to another dr appt. Be sure to go toes above nose to get that awful swelling down. I didn't always do that, but when my leg was huge that's all that worked.
 
I'm so sorry you've had such a long and painful day. That had to be hard. And you're going through so much. I'm saying a prayer that you won't have to go through another surgery.

As for work, as the others have said, you have to take this time to take care of you. I'm sure your friends understand.

Hoping you have a better day tomorrow.
 
That really was a long day, Marian! You deserve a few days with lots of rest now.

About your mouth - the soreness may be a reaction to the antibiotic, but don't forget that those heavy-duty antibiotics also kill off your normal flora, making you susceptible to thrush.

I'm sorry your friends at work are finding it hard without you, but that's not your problem. It's your boss's problem and he needs to deal with it. Don't allow yourself to feel that you must go back to work before you are completely healed. Your priority has to be your health.

:loveshwr: and :friends:
 
Marian, I'm sending you tons of love and hugs! Love yourself today and that sore leg if you can with ice and elevating. Dr appt days are hard enough without having to wait and learn all the things you did. Take good care of yourself and let dear daughter give you some tlc too.
I understand all about a workplace like you describe. It's part of the reason a co-worker and I retired last October. We were busting out the work and taking care of customers while the young ones were off to McDonalds for coffee and planning their evening and weekend outings. Boss didn't see it even though I mentioned it many times because she thought of them like her own daughters and I was just too old (@62) but I could and did work circles around them. Difficult situations came up and they'd just pass it off to one of us 'old' gals to handle. Nevermind I was walking with a cane all this time dealing with my bone on bone pain. Needless to say, I don't miss being at work and I can fully focus on my healing too.
I was on aN antibiotics roller coaster for a while too. It works on what it's supposed to, but take caution about the other side effects. I had no idea it would ever cause pain like I had with one kind. Keep everyone aprised with how you are feeling because those details make a difference and they can change what you are taking often.
Rest when you can today. Again, sending my prayers for YOU to get better.
 
I am so sorry you are having to go through all of this. What a very long day!

I agree with others - as hard as it is to put work to the side, your focus should be on you. I know that's not always easy - we put others in front of ourselves too often. I hope that your boss has the courage to address the issue before he loses good talent. Poor performers are toxic to a good work culture.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just wanted to say that I agree with everyone else, you are your priority right now, not work. I realize it is important to you, but YOU are MORE important. Will continue praying for you.
 
After yesterday I have been dozing on and off all day. Daughter number 2 is here to take my to the GI doctor appointment at 4 pm. Fortunately it's only about 30 minutes away. I already know all my liver enzymes are normal so I am hoping I won't have to return for another visit. I really don't want to go but I e got to follow through on everything.

Celle I have gotten thrush when I've take other antibiotics and this is not quite the same. The ID doctor did prescribe some Nystatin to swish and swallow to just give it a try. I'll pick it up at the pharmacy on my way home. It's more like it feels like I haven't brush my teeth in a long time and I have a 'coating' over my teeth and mouth. I have a new electric tooth brush and am using a toothpaste suggested by my dentist. My taste buds seem to think there is sharp spices on foods that burn my tongue where there is none. Nothing tastes very well at all. I can think I want something and eat one bite and that's it. My dogs are enjoying all the good, healthy foods they have been having.

With work the younger nurse who is 26 is going out of her mind with the other lazy one. She's getting married in a few weeks. My boss will then be trying to find other nurses to fill in from other locations and deal with the monster that he has created. Should be a few interesting weeks!! He is a nice guy, but he isn't able to really manage the trouble makers. It's really only that one nurse. The rest of the staff is great. If I was the manager that nurse would have been long gone. O well. Not my problem. I will be setting my ground rules when I go back. I also plan on watching my first grandchild two days a week to help my oldest and her husband save some money. She is due the first half of November and is doing really well.
 
@newlybionic, I am sending you the ((BIGGEST, STRONGEST HEALING VIBES)) in the universe! Your tale is one of extreme courage and astonishing perseverance and should be a must read for everyone who thinks they are having a bad day. :prayer:
 
Following your thread leaves me in awe of your strength. Little by little, it sounds like you are healing. My prayers and thoughts are with you as you keep going forward. Focus on yourself and the simple things. But especially yourself. This is your time to receive all the love and TLC, and give your body the rest it needs.
 
Marian, you have so many on here praying for you, and wishing you the best with a speedy recovery. I second and third what others have said. Don't worry about work. Your boss allowed that situation. Now, he's going to have to deal with it. Your job is to get well and then heal from your replacement!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom