Guest viewing is limited

THR Right hip done, "Fred" is on board.

I am having a quiet day today. Pouring rain outside, with tropical dew points over 70 F. Definitely a day to remain in the a/c. Reading, doing puzzles, resting.

I did not need another oxy at bedtime last night; I am thankful for that!

And today, with the exception of the first half hour, I am walking around in the house without any aid. That first half hour, I use the walker. I wake up and need to pee; so do 5 dogs. It is always a mad dash, to get to the other end of the house, open the door and let the dogs out, then back to the bathroom for myself. A challenge, even without a surgery / recovery. EVERY morning ha haaa. The 4 females are ages 16, 15 12 (will turn 13 in 3 weeks) and at least 11. So like me, they have to GO with little warning. Just now, I grab the walker as I move quickest using that. Then I take the first round of 3 Tylenol. About half an hour later, that has kicked in. And as of today, that is enough, I can move around freely. I am pleased with this!

I eat breakfast, then take the Celebrex (it specifically states to have it with food) and the baby aspirin.

When PT was here Tuesday, she asked if I was massaging the incision, to help prevent adhesions. Um, no, I am not. I won't even LOOK at it (much) at this time. I don't do well with the blood and cuts side of medical things. Not sure how important this massaging is. The front lower part of the upper right (surgical) leg feels a bit tight when I move.

Just had lunch; and some ice cream. Ready for nap time.
 
Pouring rain…good excuse to stay home and get some extra rest for the sunny days ahead. Tropical humidity, ugh, not my fave. We’ve been dealing with the same in my neck of the woods.

I didn’t massage my incision area and it’s fine over four years later. I went to three PT sessions and the therapist did massage it for a bit each time, but that was it.

Hope you enjoyed the ice cream. I can’t tell you how many times ice cream comes up in recovery threads. It is definitely a popular topic during those early months of healing. Happy Friday!
@Freedom
 
I had my final at-home PT visit today. We did 2 little tests. First one: a timed walk. I started sitting in a chair, had to get up, walk about 8 feet and back, and sit down again. I did not use a cane for this, just walked on my own. 11.86 seconds. Then she took my BP, we went out for a walk down the street to my mailbox and back up the hill, and she took my BP again. For this I did take my cane. We were talking the whole time. Of course my BP went up, but nothing abnormal. She said I passed both tests. And that's is it, DONE with PT.
 
Good. On with life as excercise!
 
More improvements happened yesterday.

In the morning, prior to taking my shower, I removed the tub transfer chair, set it out in the hallway. I still use the leg lifter to get in and out over the tub, but showering is SO much easier! Eventually I got the transfer chair down cellar for storing, once again. I walked my front yard pulling weeds, something I typically do every other day; but had not done it since July 24th. There were plenty! I do not have lawn / grass there. 3/4 of my yard is xeriscaped: native drought tolerant plants. Low maintenance. I also mowed the lawn yesterday. I have not taken an oxy since last Wednesday (the shopping trip) and very pleased I seem to be done with that. 3 Tylenol 3 times a day and ice pack are my best friends.

Anticipating dealing with Hurricane Henri here. Yesterday I had to bring in anything that could blow around in the high winds predicted for my area. Already had a few bands of rain move through this morning. As I will be on the east side of the storm, the high winds are the concern. (West side of a storm like this gets rain, rain, and more rain.) I am far enough inland that it will have slowed to a Tropical Storm. Power outages from downed trees and tree limbs is a real possibility, however. Yesterday I finished up the ice cream. If the power goes out for a few days, and I lose everything in the freezer, at least the ice cream was saved! :rotfl::loll:
 
Another hard working day! I'm glad we have a walk in shower as I couldn't cope with getting in and out of a bath.
Your weather sounds scary. Hope you weather the storm safely.
 
Today is NOT a good day. I don't know if I did too much yesterday, or if the storm is playing in to this. But if I can't figure out how to reduce this pain soon, I may be taking an oxy. I have tried everything: resting, moving, ice. Took the Tylenol an hour earlier than normal. Taking the Celebrex twice a day still, as prescribed. I have done nothing; couldn't if I wanted to. My hip hurts if I stand. My knee is swollen and hurts standing or resting. My ankle hurts standing or resting. I am NOT a happy person at this time. That is all.
 
Oh dear. Could be a combination of overdoing it yesterday plus atmospheric pressure due to your forthcoming storm.
Take it easy and see how that goes. I bet you'll feel better as your muscles, tendons and ligaments recover from all they went through yesterday.
 
That storm, Henri, missed my area, but went all around me. All fine here. The low atmospheric pressure really hurt. The storm basically missed my area but went all around me! So I had 2 miserable days. It came up from my South, moved to my West, continued traveling North, then swept East putting it North of me at that point. We got very little rain, some light breezes, nothing serious at all. No power outages in my area.

On Sunday I had lots of pain until about 6 PM. At that point, the storm was far to the West of me. Then Monday it continued moving North and came back across above me, and again I had a lot of pain. And not only my hip. I do have extensive arthritis /osteoarthritis, and I was one be ache. About 4 AM this morning Tuesday the storm is well away and I feel fantastic, ready to take on the world! LOL

Also on Monday, we had 3 very small tornadoes develop in my area. No harm done, and if I hadn't seen them on the TV news, I wouldn't have known about them. They were very small, just enough for lots of folks to take photos, and to see videos of debris flying up from the ground. Very unsettled weather for 48 hours; and my body responded in kind.

I've not used the oxy since last Wed. Still taking the Tylenol every 3 hours, Celebrex and baby aspirin twice a day (those 2 are required for 28 days post op).

Today the sun is out, we will warm up and dry out.
 
Glad that's over. Must have been a nasty few days. Do the animals react to these changes in weather/atmospheric pressure?
I'm just back from a walk and think I could melt. Just too hot for me. I'm wearing my specially bought post hip replacement dress as it's so cool. I only wear trousers normally but thought a dress might be more practical after the op. I'm glad of it now!
 
The pets don't seem to be bothered by it. The dogs do not like going out in the rain for business, so they tend to be low key. I have noticed they seem to know when there is a break in the rain, and will often ask to go out then.

Where abouts are you located, and what is considered hot there? My Mum was from London; Stoke Newington. I've been to visit cousins and extended family a few times over the years. Not done any traveling for 15 years, however. So it's been awhile. Today we will go up to 87F / 30 C. Next 2 days we will hit the 90's again (32C). I've not worn a dress or skirt in YEARS, lol.
 
On Sunday I had lots of pain until about 6 PM. At that point, the storm was far to the West of me. Then Monday it continued moving North and came back across above me, and again I had a lot of pain. And not only my hip. I do have extensive arthritis /osteoarthritis, and I was one be ache. About 4 AM this morning Tuesday the storm is well away and I feel fantastic, ready to take on the world! LOL

A bit of interesting info on feeling weather changes in your joint (s) -

For some people, yes, you can feel weather changes. It's especially true for patients with arthritic joints who have not had a joint replacement, but also the case even after you have a new prosthetic in place.

Weather changes are predicted by changes in barometric pressure, which is the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface. These changes can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery.

Glad the nasty weather is outta there, you’re safe, happy and feeling better physically.
Have a great day! :SUNsmile:
 
I was pretty achey over the weekend. We were enclosed in thick damp fog and I had to wear a fleece.
 
@Freedom I'm in Scotland. Just checked and the temp is 25°. That's too darned hot for me!
 
Back
Top Bottom