Guest viewing is limited

THR Right hip done, "Fred" is on board.

Turn your stick round and hook the handle round your foot. That works well as a leg lifter.
Good luck with the coffee!
 
My stick??? Do you mean cane? I am using a walker just now. Have asked if I could have a cane for leglifter for now, but they don't bring one.

I have my own cane at home, so I make it clear to them I do not need to take any of this equipment .
 
Yes. We call them sticks over here. What a pity they haven't brought you one yet. There's always tomorrow though.
 
I have been using the walker, going up and down the hallway, a few times a day. Partly to get things moving inside (hasn't worked yet), and partly due to boredom.

Tonight I notice my right knee is black and blue, almost as if I fell on it. I haven't had any falls. Is this normal due to the change in angle, weight shift? I will mention it to a nurse in the morning.

PT found a reacher / grabber, and one of the gait belts is my leg lifter, thank goodness for these 2 things.

Senna was added to try and get things moving.

Still no ice allowed. I will follow up with the hospital on this once I am home, as I think the joint replacement prog needs to know.
 
I love my grabber. It clips neatly on to one of my sticks and I've become very adept at using it. I bought a slightly more expensive one as it seemed more robust and I'm glad I did.
Good luck on the loo today!
 
Tonight I notice my right knee is black and blue, almost as if I fell on it. I haven't had any falls. Is this normal

Yes, many experience bruising in the knee area, myself being one. Mine kind of freaked me out as it didn’t show for a couple weeks. The knee can be manipulated aggressively during the dislocation process.

Ice your knee right along with all else that is causing pain or discomfort. I’d ask a nurse for a kitchen zip lock bag and a big glass of ice chips and create your own ice source to wrap in fabric and apply where it hurts. If you want ice, which is a proven pain reliever and helps with swelling, you should be able to have it. It’s free and harmless, it’s not like you’re asking for extra pharmaceuticals. Consider telling them you’ll use it on your knee, not your hip.

Have you used ice while in recovery from an of the other procedures noted in your signature? If so, do you feel it helped? Not trying to be The Ice Police, just want to see you have every option available so you’re able to rest comfortably as you begin healing.

Wishing you a peaceful day! :)
 
Yes, I have used ice, I find it VERY helpful.

Not allowed here, makes me nuts. I WILL be talking with the hospital joint replacement program about this, once I get back home.
 
Bruising in all places up and down the leg is common. What they have to do to us to perform the surgery is pretty brutal and amazing we can recover from it. Hard to believe they are not allowing ice, sounds like a staff problem where they aren't trained or attentive enough.
 
@Eman85 as I explained above, the state law prohibits ice in nursing homes. Staff are not at fault. Either there is a provision for rehab which management is not aware of, or something else is provided for rehab. The hospital program needs to investigate so they send people to the proper facility.
 
Great news! What a relief in several senses of the word. You can really look forward to going home now.
 
Wonderful news!
Yay…getting discharged on your one week anniversary. Safe travels home to your comfy recovery nest. Let us know how it went once you’re all settled in.
Have a great Thursday! :) :-) (:
@Freedom
 
I am home!

PT wanted me to stay on until next Wednesday. So last Wednesday the Social Worker came to discuss this with me. My health insurance approved it all.

Unfortunately my pet sitter was completely overwhelmed with my pets and said no, I had to come home or make other arrangements, as she was leaving today. I returned to the Social Worker and explained this. She did check with PT, they said I am safe (I live alone). They would have liked to do extra stuff with me, but I meet all the requirements to be released. So discharge was today at 1 PM.

Pet Sitter had the car packed this morning at 8 AM, and called me at rehab to see if I could get out any sooner. I told her no.

My friend came to pick me up at 1, we were here at my home by 1:30. By 1:40 the pet sitter was gone!

My friend stayed 2 hours, we had some things to arrange, she started some laundry for me. She has left, and now I just need to get back into my routine here.

I have home care VNA services starting up tomorrow. I will have nurse, PT and OT, though I'm not sure who comes when as yet. With my prior joint replacements, the nurse would come twice, and say I no longer needed nursing. And OT would visit to ensure I had all my supplies; at this point I have all and more! So it will be PT, 2 or 3 times a week, until I can drive. They like to get us back out in the community, and going to outpatient PT, as soon as we are able.

I also have a vet tech coming in once a day starting tomorrow, to help with some things like scooping cat litter boxes. Yes, with anterior approach I likely could do it on my own now. I think I am better off having her come in for a time, until I adjust back into this routine.

While I would have liked to stay on longer at rehab, as I did with the other surgeries, I think I am ready for this. This recovery has been much easier. And part of that is because, with the first 3, I put off surgery for 8 years. With this one, as soon as it started impacting my life, I got in to the surgeon to get things started.

I would like to ask Admin to adjust my signature to show that this right hip is / was also anterior. Thank you.
 
Gosh what a rush. Still, you're home and it sounds like you've got masses of support services visiting. Envious? Moi?- well yes!
Enjoy your first night home.
 
@Spex10, PT lady was here at 9 AM. After we reviewed everything, she determined that 1. I am a pro at joint replacement (hahaa) and 2. I likely won't need the nurse or the OT. She suggested I speak with them on the phone, and decide. I tend to agree, I think I am set with PT. I will have PT twice a week, Tues and Fri. She said that I can actually walk better than what I am doing just now, and that I am just a tad overwhelmed with the change from rehab to home. She explained this is common. Well yes, I went from 18 people caring for me, to me being responsible for me, the cats and the dogs, all in an hour!

Last evening I mowed the lawn. I had forgotten about it, did not line up a person for this, and it was LONG after 10 days and over 2.5 inches of rain. Normally it takes me 20 minutes; I figured half an hour or so. Wrong. ONE HOUR AND 45 minutes later, I was done. And with the heat and humidity, I was also ready to pass out. Barely got myself to my bed, crying all the way. An hour later I was able to get up, change to pajamas, take some pain meds. Because of course I did not take any before hand! Slept well for 10 hours. Not one of my better decisions, but the lawn is cut and "Madame Independent" may have learned a lesson; or not.

I have the vet tech coming in an hour or so, she will stop at CVS to pick up 3 things. Tylenol because no one said I needed that before hand; Miralax and Metamucil because I don't want a repeat of that week of nothing moving. PT reviewed all my meds, and determined what I need and don't have in stock at the moment. Already feeling better. I think PT realized I mostly just needed a confidence boost, and this particular person was good at that, so it was a good visit.
 
Wow! Superhuman! Can't believe you did all that. Well done. Bet the cats and dogs were glad to see you home.
 
Around here, all joint replacement patients take 81 mg aspirin (baby aspirin) twice a day for 28 days post op. Before my surgery, I specifically made a trip to the store to buy this. Do you think I can FIND that bottle, now that I need it?! :whistle:

FINALLY, I found it.
 
Last edited:
So frustrating when you put something in a safe place where you definitely won't lose it then forget where!
I'm on Apixaban twice a day as a blood thinner for 5 weeks and have awful compression socks. The big treat in my day is when OH peels them off and I can have fresh air round my tootsies for a while.
 
Seems I am on the wrong path, again. Not had a BM since that big one last Wed at 6:15 PM.

Using Miralax, Metamucil, and prune juice. I really did NOT want to go through that pain again.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom