Lounge Doctor

THR Right hip done, "Fred" is on board.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
United States United States
Hahaha! :heehee: Sorry about that!
My message was for YOU, Freedom. I haven’t had a full cup of coffee to clear the cobwebs yet….is that a good enough excuse? :shrug: :wink:
@Freedom

OP
OP
Freedom

Freedom

graduate
Country
Lots happened the last few days - good progress!

I removed the commode from over the toilet; it was there to raise the seat. I am now thinking I should get the Carex hinged round toilet seat riser. My legs aren't strong enough to lift me, I have to push up. Starting from a higher position would be easier.

I no longer use the leg lifter to get in and out of the shower! Nor to get in and out of the bed!

Wednesday morning I took the dogs out in the car to a local park. Normally I take them out at least 4 times a week to one of 4 places where they can run off leash; but they had not been anywhere since July 28th, the day before my surgery. So I took them to the nearest, less than 2 miles from home. They were SO excited they were whining and barking the whole drive over. The track loop is 1 mile, so it is double the distance I had been walking daily with the dogs. And I did it! I was sore that evening, to be expected, but I did it! The dogs had a blast, burned off tons of energy. Thurs and Fri I stayed with the 1/2 mile route around the neighborhood. We live at the top of a hill; all the rain from Ida meant there was flooding in low lying areas. That local park is at the very bottom in the valley, it will take a few days for that to dry out.

Thursday that is all I did, the short dog walk.

Friday -today - has been another banner day; preparing for the long holiday weekend. I walked the dogs the 1/2 mile, stripped the bed, did 2 loads of laundry (which means 3 times down the cellar stairs and back up), AND I mowed the lawn.

At this point, I feel I am back to normal, even though I am taking 3 Tylenol once or twice a day, depending on what I do. Normal for me, means going up stairs is very hard, and getting up off the toilet and from a chair is awkward. I can solve the toilet situation as mentioned above. I know I talked about doing some squats, but I haven't done ANY. I need to get moving and do that, see if I can improve my upper leg strength. At this point, I am back to where I was for the past 4 years, which is unbelievable for 5 weeks post op! I'm surprised and pleased with this.

And just because, I will give the video of the dogs at the park on Wednesday, their first outing in 5 weeks. I taped this to share in the CCL Recovery groups, as Frankie, my 6 year old, had TPLO surgery on both back legs earlier this year. Left was Feb 22, right was Apr 28. It can be fun for anyone to watch though, even without knowing what was involved with the TPLOs.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Thanks for the update. You’re making great progress! I loved setting aside those recovery aids one by one. It’s such a wonderful feeling. The dogs are certainly cute and entertaining. You can tell they like their time outdoors on their walk.
Have a great holiday weekend!
@Freedom

Puggles

Country
Sooo glad you're doing so well !!! Wow!

And, LOVE your video !!
"Tasha ....WALKIES!"..... ROFL !!!!!!!!! :heehee:

Dh and I *love* LOVE our doggies sooo much, so I love
everything doggie-related.

I volunteered in rescue for 8 years; foster failure many times over.
Ohhhh, hubbs and I have, too!!! We haven't fostered in a while,
but---omg, once my hips are better, I cannot WAIT !!!

See that precious guy on the far right? He was a hospice
foster....omg, we ADORED him! It's been 4 years since
we had to euthanize him, and I still cry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Freedom

Freedom

graduate
Country
@Puggles not sure if you remember Barbara Woodhouse? She had a program on PBS television, "Training Dogs the Woodhouse Way," on BBC and PBS, 1980 or so. I learned SO much from watching her shows! And "walkies" is one of her commands; I've used it for years! Tasha is age 16, and does not approve of me stopping. Not to take photos or videos, and not to talk with other people. I am there for HER walk, it is HER time, and the moment I stop, she barks at me, until I start moving again. It was very annoying as I wanted this video for the CCL Recovery support group, to show how well Frankie is doing now he's recovered. And Tasha would NOT be quiet! You can barely hear Frankie and Belle rumbling in their play fighting, thanks to Tasha. I am glad you enjoyed the video!

Attachments

Puggles

Country
And "walkies" is one of her commands; I've used it for years! Tasha is age 16, and does not approve of me stopping. Not to take photos or videos, and not to talk with other people. I am there for HER walk, it is HER time, and the moment I stop, she barks at me, until I start moving again
Thanks, I'd not heard of her---I'll find that show and watch it.
Ohhhh, I can SO relate to having a doggie like your Tasha !!!
Our Sophie was the SAME !!!! Succch a wittle alpha! And,
when we had fosters in the house, she was NOT happy!

I was one of "those" Mommies whose doggie had a better
wardrobe than I did! :heehee:

OP
OP
Freedom

Freedom

graduate
Country
Saw my surgeon this morning, 6 weeks post op. All fine. Return in another 6 weeks.

I took photos of my xrays. I asked him about the white lines on the left; he said those are staples for veins they close off. Those staples stay there . . . forever! I had no idea.

Also, with permission I took a picture of this poster which always fascinates me when I go there. There's a bit of reflection, but I think you can read it.

Attachments

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Boy grandma
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom