Guest viewing is limited

THR Right hip done, "Fred" is on board.

Wow! What an action packed day. I hope you don't pay the price to morrow.
I'm finding this recovery to be sooo much easier than from my knee replacements. In fact I'm a bit suspicious - too good too soon. I haven't ever done as much as you though.

No doubt about it, I will have to ice more often today. Bit achy this morning. But hey, NO ONE is coming, I was able to return to bed and sleep in! I agree, hips are VERY much easier than knees. This hip is very much easier than the left hip was 4 years back, which keeps me waiting for the pain to hit. Like you, I'm 2.5 weeks post op.

@Spex10, I am attaching photos of my family here for you to enjoy. Don't think I've shared them recently. I volunteered in rescue for 8 years; foster failure many times over.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Right hip done, "Fred" is on board.
    cats (Small).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 176
  • [Bonesmart.org] Right hip done, "Fred" is on board.
    Dogs (Small).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 184
That's a whole lot of animal life in your house! They must take a lot of looking after.
We visited the two cats that we're rehoming today. Beautiful boys. Maine Coons. There were 28 Maine Coons in the breeders house! Paradise. All lovely creatures. Will be taking our boys home in two weeks.
I managed with just one stick for the visit but have found myself happily wandering about at home with no sticks at all. Am amazed at rapid progress.
 
Mowed the lawn this morning. Loaded up on pain meds, first. Normally takes 30 minutes, took me 37. Not bad! None of the 'drama' of the last time I mowed. Humidity has gone WAY down.

When I have both oxy and Tylenol on board, I can walk normally, unaided! I only do this in the house, won't chance it outside. Sort of annoying when one or the other wears off and I need the cane to hobble around. Or worse, need the walker.
 
Would you not be better doing less physical work so you can reduce the meds? I'm off all meds now apart from the blood thinner and manage well without a stick in the house. I use one if out for a walk but more for confidence than anything else.
 
I only do what needs doing. I live alone. I asked 4 people about mowing; all said no.

Normally, I take the 3 tylenol 3 times daily. And 1 oxy at night, about an hour before I head off to bed. By day's end, I am a bit sore, so it helps me get some sleep. The Celebrex and baby aspiring are twice a day for 28 days post op, so I keep up with those.

I took the additional oxy last Wed when I went out to the surgeon's office. Came home and pain was high, so I took one. And today I took one to get the lawn done. I don't think I've taken a second one in a day other than those 2 times. I know we talk about taking one BEFORE PT, but I haven't done that so far.

When I don't take it, I am on the walker and / or cane all day long.
 
Sorry to hear nobody would help you with mowing the lawn. That's hard work and quite a strain on a new joint. Shame on your neighbours!
 
Walk behind, self propelled mower. Not too hard. Small back yard.
 
Wow! You’ve been busy! Just catching up on your thread and surprised at all you’re accomplishing. I worry about you taking meds though to power through tasks because it becomes easier to overdo it that way, then pay later. I do understand the need to accomplish certain things while living alone, please go slow though and be careful. I don’t want to see you stall the great progress you’re making. Wish I could help…I would. :wink:
A peaceful week to you as you continue the journey.
@Freedom

PS Love your furry fam pics! :kitty::doggie:
 
Thank you, @Layla. Once the lawn was done, that was it for the day yesterday. Didn't do anything else. Meals were nuking left overs. Of course, letting dogs out and in. I had thawed some beef neck bones for them in anticipation of the better weather, so we (the 5 dogs and I ) sat outside for over an hour enjoying the glorious day. Tempt went up to 80F, but with dew point at 47, it was wonderful! No a/c needed all day. They enjoyed their bones, and I just sat, did a bit of reading, a few puzzles, listened to the birds.

Today is also a planned down day with nothing planned. Tomorrow I will have the PT lady visiting. I've not needed to add meds for PT, and don't anticipate needing any tomorrow, either.

This morning, the dogs got me up at 5:30 (as usual) for their first pee of the day. As I hadn't had any meds since 10 PM, I was on the walker, slow and achy, as I let them out, waited, and got them in again. I took my 3 Tylenol and my thyroid med, returned to bed. About 20 minutes later, I was feeling lots better, and went to sleep. Just got up at 9 AM!! And walking with my cane I am fine.

I take everyone's comments to heart, and worry about doing too much. I know not to compare my recovery to, say, @Spex10, but it's hard not to! And I try to be cautious with the oxy too, as I'm quite sure my surgeon won't refill if I run out. I need to make sure they last me as long as I need them. I keep meaning to look up my prior hip thread to see how long I was using the walker, the cane, but then I get on to other things and forget to look it up.
 
Oh @Freedom there's no comparison between my leisurely life with an OH to help and your very demanding life with all those animals and outside work to do. I'm an idle so and so but luckily don't feel guilty about it.
You work hard because you have to. Your description of sitting outside enjoying the sun was lovely. I hope you can do more of that as time goes on.
 
Temp went up to 80F, but with dew point at 47, it was wonderful! No a/c needed all day. They enjoyed their bones, and I just sat, did a bit of reading, a few puzzles, listened to the birds.
Sounds very peaceful and relaxing. A beautiful Summer day! :SUNsmile:
I take everyone's comments to heart, and worry about doing too much. I know not to compare my recovery to, say, @Spex10, but it's hard not to!
Yes, no matter how often we preach it, or how many times we read it, I believe we all are guilty of this. Just know you’re doing what’s right for you…and it’s working. :ok:
Happy Monday!
 
Hansel and Gretel got nothing on me!

When the surgeon removed the aquacell bandage, then they put on steri strips. I had 14 of them. Was told they will drop off on their own. OK to shower, no submersion in water (same as with the aquacell bandage).

They are dropping here, there and everywhere! And I swear they multiply; I must have picked up at least 100 already! Ha ha :heehee:

PT came this morning, we did a short walk outside, with me using my cane rather than the walker. In the house, I am walking on my own most of the time. She asked if I had phoned outpatient PT to get on the schedule. I said I don't think I need to. She replied that many people don't need PT with the hip, and I am doing fine. She will come to the house once more, on Friday. That will do me.

I have to remind myself I am not quite 3 weeks post op. I get to thinking I will start some project or other and then stop myself; let it wait a bit longer.
 
Sounds good. I'm not using a stick in the house any more but do take one if out for a walk. I think it's more to give me confidence than anything else.
I've been doing all sorts of odd jobs round the house which make me really use my various muscles as I bend and stretch and reach for things.
 
PT came this morning, we did a short walk outside, with me using my cane rather than the walker. In the house, I am walking on my own most of the time. She asked if I had phoned outpatient PT to get on the schedule. I said I don't think I need to. She replied that many people don't need PT with the hip, and I am doing fine. She will come to the house once more, on Friday. That will do me.

Good for you! Happy to hear you’re doing so well. May it long continue!
 
Took a shower this morning, got dressed, got in the car, and drove to the supermarket. :hog: Did some shopping, drove home, unpacked and put it all away. I was on my feet and walking :walking:for an hour in the store. Moved slowly, holding the carriage (cane in the carriage) but I was UP and moving. I haven't been up and moving continuously for an hour since pre op.

Priorities! I wanted ice cream. I haven't had any since July 25th (surgery was the 29th). Been through a 4-day heat wave with NO ice cream. I do believe this is the longest I have gone without ice cream in my lifetime! :wow: Talk about a hardship! For anyone interested, Hood's Red Sox Green Monster Mint; it was on sale as well! I live in Red Sox country, so it was a perfect choice.

I keep trying to do without the oxy; most days, I only take one at night about an hour prior to going to bed. But once home from shopping, I did take one. I was starting to feel the results of my adventure, and decided to head it off at the pass. :horseriding: Perhaps I won't need one tonight!

I also found time to check my thread for the left THR, prior to going out this morning. I did not drive until 4 weeks post op, that time. Here in USA, we use the right for driving, but I felt I could do this, and all was fine. I know I was more aware, and more cautious, than is my normal, that is to be expected. I continue to be surprised how much easier this recovery is, than that first hip.

Finally finished putting things away and I had lunch at 2 PM, late for me, for sure. Clearly I am feeling better, I have found the emoji and I am peppering this post with them ha haa. Time for the ice pack and a nap, next. I do take a nap daily, have done for over 25 years. Today's nap is later than usual, that's ok. I think I earned today's siesta time!
 
That all sounds great @Freedom! I've been shopping too. I love pushing the shopping trolley and could do it for hours. No need to though as we're not needing much. OH has to drive me as I can't drive till 6 weeks is past.
Lots coming up in the next week so will probably just potter about the house and garden for the next few days. I use my Fitbit to show my step count and aim to gradually increase it each day even if it's only doing fairly meaningless walking about. So far up to 4500 which is nothing to you @Freedom but I'm feeling pretty good on it!
A friend just WhatsApped me. She's taking me out to lunch at a local garden bistro on Monday. It's so nice to be doing normal things like that again.

One concern though: the steristrips over the places the guide probes went in (had robotic procedure) still haven't come off yet. The nurse said not to pull them and they'd gradually loosen in the shower but they haven't and it's more than 3 weeks now. They're pretty stiff and overlaid on each other. I'll have another go at really soaking them but maybe @Layla has a suggestion?
 
@Spex10 as I mentioned, I've had NO issue dropping steri strips, ha haa. Maybe phone in and ask the nurse what she advises?!

How wonderful to look forward to lunch out with friends. Anticipation of fun times is great!
 
@Freedom there's no one to phone in to. I'm discharged, dumped, out! If the worst comes to the worst I suppose I could try to contact a practice nurse at the medical centre but they won't want to take any responsibility. The perils of going private!
 
Back
Top Bottom