Guest viewing is limited

THR Right hip done, "Fred" is on board.

You’re welcome! :wink:
 
Been to doctor; abscess now empty. This may be TMI, but as he was squeezing and squeezing, "wow, this is impressive! Want to see it? I can find a mirror!" Um no thanks, I'll take your word for it. Just fix it! Bactrin twice a day for 7 days.
 
Glad they were able to get you right in and address the infection. I bet you feel much relieved..
 
Great news! I hope you’re feeling better now that it’s gone.
@Freedom
 
I saw the surgeon this past Wednesday, for my 12 week post op check.

He said I should not be having pain making me tear up, at this point. And I should not be using Tylenol at this point. He said for me to sign up for PT, and return in 6 weeks. I had a pre op PT assessment with the PT folks at the hospital (told the surgeon this), so I phoned that facility. They are understaffed, and have a 4 week lead time. I will start PT in 4 weeks.

I don't know why the surgeon is surprised. It took 22 months for me to be able to walk pain free, with the left hip. But he seems to think this one is going to heal on schedule. This body does not DO normal schedules for healing and recovery; never has.

I did tons of PT with the first hip. This time around, once the in-home PT ended on Aug 21, I did not bother with any.

Stairs are a nightmare. I have 2 steps out my back door, no railing. I really struggle getting up. My laundry is in the cellar; there are rails on both sides and I pull myself up. First leg never was able to do stairs after the hip replacement, so I was relying on this, my right leg, for the "good leg up." Right leg is no longer able to get me up a step.

I don't have any hope for PT to result in any improvement, just doing what the surgeon wants.
 
There was a cancellation! I had my first PT session yesterday. I will have 2 per week for 6 weeks.

This first session, she went over everything again, as with the pre op meeting. Time and again, she said, "right leg is stronger," "right leg doing well, good range of motion," and so on. Then we got to the quad stretch: I'm on my back on the right edge of the bed, at 24 inches from the floor, and she gently sets my leg down, foot to the floor. "OW OW GET IT UP GET IT UP!" Holy moly! That hurt a LOT. And I could not raise the leg on my own. She quickly got the leg back up on the bed. I am NOT to do that particular stretch, here at home, at this time. We are going to work up to that.

Here is what we will work on over these 6 weeks:
1. The quad is very tight, slightly restricts my gait, causing a minor limp. (See above re quad stretch.) Prior to this right hip replacement, my left leg was longer. The surgeon planned to lengthen the right leg and get them close to the same length with this right hip surgery; and he did. PT thinks the right is just a tiny tad longer than the left, now, but it is so close it could be a tiny tad shorter than the left; in any case it is longer than it was pre op. THAT explains why the quad is tight! I need to do massage.

2. I also need to do some stretches to work on loosening the quad. "Modified hip flexor stretch" holding a chair back, and raising leg onto my sofa.

3. And since I can't do stairs, I have some stretches to work on that. Standing on my aerobic stepper, and holding the kitchen counter and a chair, touch heel to floor. For now, doing this at home at 2 inch height, which was really easy at the session. I see her again tomorrow, and she said most likely she will have to move to 4 inch height at home for the weekend. For now, I am not to do the 4 inch height at home. My stairs to my cellar (laundry) and my 2 steps out the back door to the fenced in back yard are all 8 inches. She intends to get me able to do them, with at least one leg, rather than hauling myself up with my arms as I have to do currently.

4. Also working toward doing the stairs, I have to be on my stomach and 2 inch leg lifts to strengthen glutes.

5. And I need to stack sofa cushions or other firm cushions on a chair, to get the seat at 25 inches from the floor, and practice sit - to - stand WITHOUT using my hands. "No hands, Ma!" LOL

I am much relieved to know she found WHAT the problems are. For the first 20 minutes, everything was fine, same as pre op session, I was wondering what on earth we were going to do. Glad that sorted itself! And more importantly: WE HAVE A PLAN!!!
 
Last edited:
I finished the first round of PT. While not yet where I wanted to be, much improvement!

I start another 4 weeks, twice a week, on Monday (today is Friday). I had a one week break in between sessions.

The problems I have are all weight bearing: going up stairs, straightening up after bending, things like that.

Walking is fine, I am back to walking 1 hour, almost 4 miles -- working on my speed at this point, but that's not anything I bother the folks with at PT.

This Therapist had me go around and measure all the stairs in my home. The 2 out the back door: 8 inches, and 8.5 inches. The cellar: 13 are 8 inches, and the bottom down to the concrete floor is a whooping 9 inches. No one ever had me take the measurements before. No wonder I have trouble, this house has high steps everywhere! Good thing it is a ranch house, one floor living. I only do the cellar for laundry. The back 2 lead to the patio, use that often in the nice weather. Now we are in late Autumn into Winter, I just send the dogs out, I only go out once or twice a day. Out is awkward, but coming back in is a real challenge. Sometimes I give in, walk out the gate to the front of the house, enter through the garage; there is a ramp for the car, no steps, so I can do that.
 
@Freedom I have just come across your post as it appears that you had your hips done after your knees.
I have had both my knees replaced the left in 2019 and the right in 2021 since January I have had pains mostly down the front of my left leg, initially thinking it was sciatica but that usually generates from the back anyway eventually did some tests ( exams) and it now appears that my left hip no7w needs replacing.
Is there any tips you can offer having done yours this way round ?
They say recovery is easy that then knees is this true?
Anyway I woukd be interested regarding your journey, are you now able to do everything pain free ?
 
@Sara61, hi there!

Yes, I have my 4-pack. Both knees were done, and 1 hip, then a few years later the 2d hip. Hip recovery is MUCH easier than knee recovery.

I was at the same hospital for all 4 surgeries. For the knees, they send you off with an ice "machine." Not so for the hips. They just tell you to ice it. I found this ice pack VERY helpful: https://www.amazon.com/Large-Cold-Therapy-Pack-Cureve/dp/B07B8C7ZGQ/?tag=ate362da-20

I did not use the 2 straps. I found the large size meant that lying in bed or on the sofa, it covers top and side, or back and side. So that was great!

My home has the lower toilet, which is difficult after these surgeries. I have this riser and I consider it "permanent" now. I like this one because it goes UNDER your toilet seat. So you can close the lid! https://www.amazon.com/Carex-Elongated-Hinged-Toilet-Riser/dp/B008XMMCBM/?tag=ate362da-20

And I have these arms to help push up: https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Stand-Toilet-Safety/dp/B004PYZD18/?tag=ate362da-20

I have kept this set up in my bathroom (I live alone). I much prefer this to some of the other set ups.

I hope these 3 items will help you with the hip recovery.
 
@Freedom Thank you so much for this reassuring and useful information, not many people have knees before hips its usually the other way round, so good to know I'm not alone.
Also good to know that recovery is shorter, its been a long haul recovering from the two knees and just as I had started to enjoy the new freedom, in January the pain started in the top of my left leg, I assumed it was sciatica but sciatica usually travels down the back and the awful pain was at the top of the thigh, groin and below the knee on the left side, after a series of tests to eliminate possible causes it was finally revealed that my left hip needs replacing. Unfortunately here I'm reliant on the National health system and there is a minimum waiting list of two years, going privately is out of my budget.
I've started a course of ultrasound therapy its a 30 minute session over a course of 5 consecutive weeks. It's known to have good results, if I'm unfortunate, then gel will the then inserted to the joint but I'm hoping this therapy works.
 
Last edited:
I wasn't sure where to put this. I have 4 joint replacements, all are Stryker implants. Stryker (USA, the Michigan location) had a cyber attack which may mean they have lost their database. Both my knee and my hip surgeon had told me that Stryker keeps all the info as to who has which implant, and they track for success rates, and other things. Trying to figure out what this means for us, patients with their products.
 
Hi Freedom,
I just read about this unfortunate incident.
From my understanding, hospitals and surgeons also keep a records so your info exists in more than one place making it very hard for it to completely disappear.
How are you doing? I hope both knees and hips feel strong and you're back to living and enjoying life. :)
A great day and weekend to you!
@Freedom
 
@Freedom This is always unsettling news. About 2 years ago, the orthopedic practice/facility that had done my tendon release got hacked. I discovered that I had some info on the dark web from that but I had security measures (provided by the facility) monitoring any activity. Nothing has come of it, thank goodness but it is upsetting, in any case. You realize how vulnerable we all can be. Blessings.
 
Indeed I read about this as well. My ortho place got hacked, as did my ENT , my Gastro… I finally put freezes on my credit cards which is possibly overkill! With that said, I doubt our data is lost. I DO keep paper copies of things like MRIs as sometimes things get temporarily lost when there are mergers and acquisitions. I also keep paper copies of serious medical records . For example, my PCP insisted that a very adverse general anesthesia episode get investigated. I kept that record and have showed it to every anesthesiologist since. Each anesthesiologist has thanked me profusely! But yea, I bet we can get our Stryker records rather easily. I am going to check into this when I have time! Thanks.
 
I kept that record and have showed it to every anesthesiologist since.
What a smart thing to do! Thanks for sharing.

Let us know what you learn about your Stryker records.
 
An article I read this morning made it sound like the Stryker problem wasn’t a data breach, but a complete device wipe of personal business-issued phones, tablets, and computers. It was a hack of a Microsoft program to manage devices within the business. Once in the program, the hacker reset a large number of devices and they basically didn’t work any longer. This function is important one that’s legitimately used for when phones or computers are lost and the company wants to be sure the data they contain is destroyed on the device and not available to anyone who might find it or have stolen the device.

Large companies have redundancy in their primary data storage system so that it can be restored. I assume any historical data pertaining to implants would be backed up and stored separately from their main system. The restoration might cause some minor data loss, but I bet most of the records will be just fine.
 
I kept that record and have showed it to every anesthesiologist since.
What a smart thing to do! Thanks for sharing.

Let us know what you learn about your Stryker records.
Thanks. Yea I had a very old school M.D. that my PCP referred me to for the “ investigation “ of the General Anesthesia fiasco. He was very interested in the matter and gave major recommendations for any future anesthesiologist. My CPK was off the roof, I had myoglobinurua, and my Potassium was high. PCP was astonished and she did not astonish easily! I’m not too worried re Stryker!
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom