Guest viewing is limited

THR Right hip done, "Fred" is on board.

Hello @Freedom I’m sorry you’re struggling with this again.
Pumpkin Purée’ has been suggested here for constipation. That is with Pumpkin as the sole ingredient, nothing else. Can be sprinkled with Cinnamon. Just an idea to consider…
I hope you find relief soon.
 
Ooh bad luck. Lots of fruit and fibre and strong coffee rather than medications? Your gut really wants to work. I hope it does soon.
 
Great idea, thanks Layla. I have a can of pure pumpkin in the house. With dogs and cats, it is a required "back up, just in case." I also need to remember to make coffee, rather than my tea. Thanks again.
 
One cup of strong coffee with breakfast, and all is well! Thanks everyone.

OT will visit today. Expect this will be a one time thing, as I am (unfortuantely) experienced in this, and have already had 2 showers, doing OK in the OT arena.
 
Oh good. There's nothing quite like a mug of strong coffee to, er, set you up for the day!
I had a shower today completely unaided in that I told OH I was going for a shower and that was the last he saw of me till I appeared back in the sitting room sparkly clean and fully dressed. My grabber device is very useful when getting dressed.
One funny thing though, I take my sticks in the shower with me. They're adjustable so have holes down the sides. It never occurred to me that they might fill up with water with a resulting watering can effect when I waved them cheerily at OH!
 
Hello @Freedom I’m sorry you’re struggling with this again.
Pumpkin Purée’ has been suggested here for constipation. That is with Pumpkin as the sole ingredient, nothing else. Can be sprinkled with Cinnamon. Just an idea to consider…
I hope you find relief soon.

I found prunes and strong coffee worked just fine.
 
@Spex10 that is hilarious! I can just picture it, too! And who would have thought of it?! We have so many other things we have to think about.

@Ric A , I am all set now, strong coffee is doing the trick. Thank you for caring enough to post.

OT has been and gone. She was happy to see me walking with the cane, and saw all my set up. Like a pro, she said; can tell you've done this before. LOL. Left her phone number in case I have questions, agreed I really don't need additional OT visits.
 
Yesterday morning, I saw the surgeon for the 2 week post op check. The aquacell dressing was removed. Incision looks good. Everything going along fine.

He was quite angry to learn rehab did not allow me to ice. I had previously phoned the Orthopedic Nurse Coordinator for the hospital's joint replacement program, and she had said to be sure I told him. I expect the facility will be hearing about this. One thing occurred to me. I should have called either / both of them, back on the first or 2d day at rehab. Icing WOULD have happened. It is difficult to think straight on the meds, advocate for yourself. I mean, I had my nurse, the unit nurse and the head of PT telling me they are not allowed to let patients have ice. They don't even have any ice packs in the place. Plus, I had advised the physician when he came around, he was surprised and promised to get me ice; but he wasn't able to budge them, either. So it never crossed my mind to phone my surgeon. Oh well, live and learn.

Getting up, showered, breakfast, dressed, out to the surgeon, back home by 10:30 AM; and I was done for the day yesterday! I am not anemic (I was after the right hip replacement), no issues. Major surgery does that, makes you so tired! I didn't even think to post an update on here, napped and slept most of the day. And let the dogs out and in a bazillion times, ha haaa. Small dogs have small bladders, plus they are bored with me not walking them just now. We are having a heat wave here, so they much prefer being in the a/c. Out and in, out and in. And naps in between. That's how my day goes just now. And I am OK with that.
 
Sounds like you're doing OK. I've had a much more active day today and no falling asleep like I did yesterday.
That's recovery for you - ups and downs. As long as the ups are outnumbering the downs I suspect we'll be OK in the end.
Weather not so hot here. Interestingly, cats we have had are always wanting in or out. If it's raining they'll go to the back door in case the weather is better there!
 
I hope you're still doing okay! Your story made me so ANGRY with the lack
of ICE !!!!! Completely unacceptable !!! :hissy: And you're right---when
patients don't have an advocate, it is MUCH harder! Whenever I've
had a loved one in the hospital, I was there as much as possible. I'm
so sorry you didn't have someone to speak up for you! I wish I
could have brought you an ice machine!!!

(Sidenote---the nurses, PT, OT, anyone who works there reallllllly SHOULD HAVE advocated
for you to have ice----forget the stupid rule---it probably only applied
to the extremely debilitated/ mentally unaware / dementia patients in
the "long-term, nursing home" section that got frostbite---NOT the rehab area with awake,
aware
patients like you. They KNOW how important ice is after THR ! It angers
me that you needlessly suffered for so long !!!


I'm glad you're at home with your sweet pets, but so very sorry
your pet sitter left a week early, causing you to miss a week
of valuable rehab. I got VERY nervous reading your
lawn mowing story! Thank goodness you did NOT pass out---who
would have known? Maybe next time, ask a neighbor if they
know of a reliable person to do it for you?
 
Last edited:
I pulled a muscle (for want of a better term). Inside of the thigh. Gosh it hurts to walk, put weight on the leg. Dog gone it, I was (I thought) doing so well! This slowed me way down. Had a bit of a cry earlier, as I am tired of this recovery, rehab, not doing what needs to be done. Trying to figure out how to get the bed changed and the laundry done. (Yes, I have folks I can ask for help, and ultimately I will do that). It's the fact I can't do the basic things myself that got to me this evening.
 
Oh dear. I know it's frustrating. People will want help you. Let them. Focus on slow but sure recovery and you'll be back doing those chores before you know it.
Hope your pulled muscle eases soon.
 
Thank you, Spex10. Feels a bit better this morning. I did a silly thing. I am supposed to use the leg lifter to get this tree trunk of a leg in bed. Yesterday about 2 PM I just swung the leg up and in as I would normally do. OUCH! Pulled the muscle that goes up into the groin area. That'll teach me to slow down! I've just emailed a friend about helping with the bed and laundry.

I have 14 steri strips on the incision, as of Wednesday's surgeon-check.
 
I am supposed to use the leg lifter to get this tree trunk of a leg in bed.

:rotfl: Can’t help it….made me laugh.
I've just emailed a friend about helping with the bed and laundry.

Good for you calling in help when in need. I hope your friend is available and you accomplish what you need to do all while visiting with your friend.
Happy Friday….I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
 
I am supposed to use the leg lifter to get this tree trunk of a leg in bed.

:rotfl: Can’t help it….made me laugh..


@Layla, when I was in rehab last week, I made the mistake of asking the physician to help me with this "dead weight." He winced, and said, "We don't like to use the term "dead" around here!" And we both laughed.
 
Ooh sounds sore! For some reason I never had a log leg. Just lucky I guess. I felt very relieved when I managed to get into OH's car this morning. The hospital had given me a sliding sheet which we put on the seat and I slid round beautifully.
Hope you get your chores done for you and don't feel guilty!!
 
What a day!

This morning I emailed a friend about helping with the bed and laundry.

Then PT came. And we did EVERYTHING, we did seated exercises, standing at the counter exercises, me on the bed exercises, taking the one step down from the main house into the breezeway, and THEN she decided we should do my cellar stairs! They are steep, but I did it! Once down, I started the laundry. Then I came up with her behind me.

I really do lack confidence, more than anything! She was I was fine doing the stairs as I did them: slow and controlled.

I took a half hour rest, then I stripped the bed and tossed all that down the cellar stairs. Long story short, 3 loads of laundry done, bed made, washer and dryer empty, clothes all put away. In between, I emailed my friend AGAIN and said to cancel that request for help.

BUT my day didn't end there. The person I have coming once daily for help with cat litter boxes was called in to work today (this is one of her days off, normally); she emailed me she would be 2 hours later than planned. I decided, "what the heck, why not?!" I took my time and did the chores I am paying for her to do. DONE! I've written her a check, for when she gets here. She came 6 days total.

I can't help but compare all of this to my prior joint replacements; and this is SO much easier.

The lady coming for PT will come twice next week, Tues and Fri and that is it. Up to me if I want to continue with outpatient PT the following week. I have already had the 1 hour eval, prior to my surgery, that is all lined up. I will wait and see how I do over the weekend, and think about phoning Monday to get on their schedule. If I think I need to. Just now I'm not sure.
 
@Freedom Wow you accomplished a lot today! It is great to be able to do routine stuff after getting a new hip, isn't it :loveshwr: If my experience is anything like yours ( nope not really cuz I did 2 hips at once but ...) you might feel a bit more achy and tired tomorrow. That's what happened to me the first time I did laundry trips down stairs plus other new to the 2 new hips activities. Not to worry though, a day of resting and icing and elevating should sort it out nicely.
 
@djklaugh, I am sure I will sleep tonight! Ha haaa. And yes, I expect to be tired and achy tomorrow. That's ok. I HAVE MY HOME BACK. NO ONE is due to come in tomorrow!! Big deal, when you live alone.
 
Wow! What an action packed day. I hope you don't pay the price to morrow.
I'm finding this recovery to be sooo much easier than from my knee replacements. In fact I'm a bit suspicious - too good too soon. I haven't ever done as much as you though. No physio here and none planned. Was just dumped out of hospital with no follow up. I suppose if I hit trouble I'd look for help but so far so good. Only two and a half weeks out though.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom