Guest viewing is limited

Hinged Joint Revision Complete, recovery continues

Stay the course and keep seeking answers. You know your body better than anyone, and it's your observations that will drive to solutions. I hope you find the key soon, you deserve to feel better and get your life back.

Be well,

Dawn
 
@Pumpkln I don't know what to say. Wish I could give you some real hugs. You have been so brave thru this. I pray you get some resolution to your pain. I am so angry with what seems to be the new pain medication protocol around here! We have developed medication to help people and doctors won't prescribe it! Please take care!!
 
Dawn and Jozilla thanks for your encouraging words.
Skipped two tramadol doses and my saliva is back! I will continue with it at half the prescribed dose, less bad side effects.
Having coffee with some old friends tomowwow, they know I am in a deep funk, and still want me to come.
Left the spelling error cause it made me smile, and not much does these days.
Still rainy cool and cloudy here, normal for this time of year I'd dry, and hot. The coolness feels good.

Everyone have a good day,


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Oh Chris. I don't know if this helps, but I'll say it anyway. I have been trying to recover for 18 months now. A few weeks back I honestly thought that it wasn't going to happen. Its taken so much longer than I was led to believe. But these last fews days have been easier. I am afraid to get my hopes up in case it doesn't last, I've had so many set backs. But I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I know 18 mths is a short time compared to how long you have been suffering, but I am proof positive that you cannot give up hope. You stay strong my friend. Carol
 
Thanks Carol,
It will get better eventually, but right now is very frustrating.

I am seeing the OS next Thursday, depending on his response will determine the direction I will go in. I would like him to do a full length x ray so he can see the alignment. It is hard to see how crooked my tibia is without an x ray, it looks straight if you just take a look. Yes, he knew about the crooked tibia before the revision.
I am already gathering my medical records to have them on hand if I need to seek a second opinion, and taking a second look at surgeons who do revisions.
 
I had a massage today, and my therapist noticed brusing behind my TKR leg, following the lateral hamstring, around the front ending just lateral to and below my knee cap. I have no idea how this happened, no falls, no banging into anything, no funny movements, nothing happened that I can figure out.
I felt better after the massage, more relaxed.
Feeling sad because my Massage Therapist has to put down his old dog tomorrow, she is falling, and crashing into things so it is time. This is so hard to do even if it is for the best, I feel for him.
 
@Josephine,
I am at almost 4 months, my revision is not going well, I now have bruising over the IT band where it crosses the tibial implant (there is overhang there), and when I lift my leg, there is a sharp pain in that location. I feel like I am hurting the IT band and am thinking about putting my old immobilizer on to stabilize the area. I am still on crutches and partial weight bearing.
In the back of my leg over where the distal medial hamstrings are there is additional bruising, my husband says that has been there for awhile it does not hurt.
The topper is my primary has cut my meds back to Norco 7.5mg 3x a day, and Tramadol 50 mg 4x a day, the tramadol makes me sick so have cut to 2x a day to avoid side effects. I am subject to random drug testing, if I show postive, I am left on my own so afraid to increase the dose. I would rant about this but you already know how absurd this is.
BTW I am not someone who bruises, and my light bruising is not take seriously by medical people. The bruises usually do not show until they are healing and turning yellow.
I am posting because this is scaring me and I worry if I am doing damage to my IT distal band.
I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Going to call OS office and leave a message, and GP office and leave a message.
Here is the back of my knee, it does hurt over the lateral hamstrings area, bruising is medial.
[Bonesmart.org] Revision Complete, recovery continues


The bruising is not dark, The front bruising it hurts like the dickens in that area below the arrow.
[Bonesmart.org] Revision Complete, recovery continues
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Revision Complete, recovery continues
    Back of knee.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 134
Immobilizer just irritated my knee, so it is off.
GP office gave me a lecture about them not wanting me to get addicted, they want me to try tramadol 3x a day, so I will try it. My pain is getting away from me so I am stuck.
Waiting for the OS office to call, he is on vacation until Monday, I will probably hear from them Monday. We will see, it is a little after 1 pm right now.
 
Oh dear, you poor lassie! Try taking 1,000mg Tylenol with your Tramadol and that will leave you an extra dose to take sometime. It enhances the Tramadol no-end.

And I'm going to give you the questions as well!

Answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Revision Complete, recovery continues
)


2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)

Note:
If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of a 500kg bell bar = 1 rep or repetition.
Doing 5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set of 5.
And doing 5 sets and finishing = a session.
 
I'm so sorry you're having such a rough go of it :-( I do hope your OS gives you some encouraging news next week. Tramadol + Tylenol worked well for me, but I didn't have any side effects from the Tramadol and you do. I sure do hope that you feel better soon. It's not fair that you are having to go through this.... xoxoxoxo
 
@Josephine, here are my replies,
1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Revision Complete, recovery continues
)
Seven
2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
Norco 7.5 mg 3x a day, Tramadol 50 mg 3x a day, was told not to take tylenol, but will go ahead as you advised.
3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?
3 to 4 x a day, 20 minutes, I am developing a sensitivity to ice so have limited the time.
4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?
All night, and throughout the day for 1 to 2 hours
5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)
Extension 0 degrees, Flexion 120 degrees
6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and
DH does all of that, I clean my CPAP 1x a week, and help fold clothes 1x a week.
7. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)
PT has no exercises, we do Strain Counter Strain to release tight muscles, emphasis is everything is comfortable, there is no pain or irritation while using this technique. 2x a week.
Massage 1 to 2 x a month, pain free.
Home exercise program: No weights for any of these, all 1x a day, bilateral
Straight leg raise 10x, 1x a day
Leg circles with hip at 90 degrees, 5x each direction, 1x a day (helps motor control, it is not so good on the L)
Clam 5x, 1x a day
Side lying Leg circles 5x, 1x a day (motor control)
Side leg lift 5x, 1x a day
Foam roller for IT band 1x a day
Pool 3x a week, hip abduction 10x, scissors 10x while sitting on a foam noodle, standing up to my neck in water, weight shifts 5x, walk up and back forth 1x. The little bit of swimming needed to get to the deep end of pool.
Exercises for SI joint dysfunction
Both legs up on bolster, crossed at ankles, releases illacus mm. (my hip flexors are tight) Hold 90 seconds. 1x a day. pain free
Hip flexor stretch off side of bed, hold 20 to 30 seconds, (hip flexors are tight).
Self leveling exercise in supine 3x each side to shuffle the SI joint into a better position. painfree.
UE strength ex:
Bench press 5x 500 kg :heehee:

I think that is it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OS office called, none of the doctors are in this afternoon, the nurse took notes and will put them in my chart, and she was sympathetic which helps. She is not my OS's nurse, she is much nicer than his nurse.
Told her I am resting, icing, elevating, using TENs, and pain meds, and staying off leg except as necessary.
Thanks @DogLoverx3 for stopping by, I appreciate your kind words.
I will let you know how the tylenol works.
 
Pain score 7
Gosh, that's high!
Norco 7.5 mg 3x a day, Tramadol 50 mg 3x a day, was told not to take tylenol, but will go ahead as you advised. I am also going to go to Norco 5 mg 4x a day to keep pain in check, and not exceed the total daily amount of 7.5 mg 3x a day. Gotta take care of myself. I am subject to random testing and need to keep levels down.
Why were you told not to take Tylenol? And why are you being tested?
Icing: 3 to 4 x a day, 20 minutes, I am developing a sensitivity to ice so have limited the time.
yes, that can happen
Elevating all night, and throughout the day for 1 to 2 hours
good
Extension 0 degrees, Flexion 120 degrees
That's good
DH does all of that, I clean my CPAP 1x a week, and help fold clothes 1x a week.
oh wow.
PT has no exercises, we do Strain Counter Strain to release tight muscles, emphasis is everything is comfortable, there is no pain or irritation while using this technique. 2x a week.

My comments in bold
Massage 1 to 2 x a month, pain free.
Home exercise program: No weights for any of these, all 1x a day, bilateral
Straight leg raise 10x, 1x a day - why are you still doing these?
Leg circles with hip at 90 degrees, 5x each direction, 1x a day - and these?
Clam 5x, 1x a day - these are most likely contributing to your ITB issues - give yourself a rest from them
Side lying Leg circles 5x, 1x a day (motor control) - also these
Side leg lift 5x, 1x a day - and these
Foam roller for IT band 1x a day - okay

Pool 3x a week,
hip abduction 10x - also these
scissors 10x while sitting on a foam noodle
standing up to my neck in water
weight shifts 5x
walk up and back forth 1x.
The little bit of swimming needed to get to the deep end of pool.

Exercises for SI joint dysfunction
Both legs up on bolster, crossed at ankles, releases illacus mm. (my hip flexors are tight) Hold 90 seconds. 1x a day. pain free
Hip flexor stretch off side of bed, hold 20 to 30 seconds, (hip flexors are tight).
Self levelling exercise in supine 3x each side to shuffle the SI joint into a better position. painfree.
UE strength ex:
Bench press 5x 500 kg :heehee: - are you serious? :shocked:

You should also give yourself at least one, preferably two days off each week
 
Why were you told not to take Tylenol? And why are you being tested?
I do not know why I was told not to take Tylenol, it was a very strange MD visit, seemed to focus mostly on avoiding addiction :shrug:. Probably has to do with changing regulations, and we do not know what kind of pressures the MD's are under from the FDA.
My Dr requires you sign a contract agreeing to testing etc before she will prescribe narcotics, friends tell me their MD's are requiring contracts also.
Straight leg raise 10x, 1x a day - why are you still doing these?
Not able to walk much, so do these to keep the leg mm toned.
Leg circles with hip at 90 degrees, 5x each direction, 1x a day - and these?
Helps with my core, and motor control for the left leg.
Bench press 5x 500 kg - are you serious?
1 lift of a 500kg bell bar = 1 rep or repetition.

Thanks for your quick response,
 
With some minor changes to my medication, my pain levels are stable. Feeling better now that pain is no longer a roller coaster ride, I am down from a "7", to a "3 - 4". These levels are much less stressful for me.
Staying on the crutches, except for a few steps in the bathroom and bedroom, has a allowed my knee and spasming muscles to settle down.
Bruising behind my knee is about the same, and the pain in the back of my knee is way down from yesterday morning.
I will keep this up until my appointment on Thursday.
Not a very exciting Sunday, just paying bills. Planning on going out to lunch later for a hamburger, I have a taste for In n Out Burger.
I hope everyone had a good weekend,
 
Burger at In n Out hit the spot. With pain at a reasonable level it felt like a normal outing. Not too much effort on my part, no need to ice ASAP when we got home.
Watching golf this afternoon.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Glad your outing felt good. Never had one of those burgers but heard they were delicious. I am also watching golf - very exciting today!! I was so hoping for Ricky. Good to see so many playing well. It's good your pain was more controlled today and hope your appointment goes well this week!
 
Glad your weekend was better and less painful. I had a normal weekend; running errands Saturday, etc, then to the park today for granddaughter's birthday party and back home where we are remodeling our kitchen...finally! My knee is doing very well, I still have quite a bit of visible swelling, but no pain at all and it still bends a lot. I know my ROM is higher than it was, and I've been working on straightening it more each day which seems to be helping. I'm almost normal, and quite thankful. I hope you are soon at the same place-you've gone through far too much and it's your turn to feel better.
 
@lovetocookandsew ,
Sounds like you had a wonderful day celebrating your grandaughters birthday. We remodeled out kitchen 10 years ago and still love it. Well worth the time and effort.
I have more hummingbirds this summer than ever, I am count 7 - 8 of them out there fighting with each other over the feeder. I actually heard two of them collide in mid air. For a moment they sorted it out and 5 of them were feeding at once. Then suddenly another hummingbird came along and got the competetion going again. It was dusk or I would have liked to take a photograph.
Thanks Kim, for your well wishes.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom