Guest viewing is limited

Hinged Joint Revision Complete, recovery continues

Hi @Pumpkln I got on your thread! Woo hoo! You are going through a lot! I wish I had a magic wand for you too! I am glad the pain meds are sorted. That, I know is very stressful.
I like the first 15 min. Of football, then I get very bored.
~~hopefaith
 
Thanks to @lovetocookandsew @Dhare63 @bottomshollow and @hopefaith ,for your kind words.

My primary appt. went well, I now have a months script for pain pills, and a referral to my back doctor, who also does pain managment. I am relieved I do not have to deal with a new doctor, for pain managment.
Orthotics are adjusted, I will need a few days to see if this is going to work.

Tomorrow is my appt with the OS, I have my notes and am hopful he will have answers as to why my knee is so painful.
 
After waiting for a half hour, we asked how much longer? They tell us the OS has an emergency surgery. I understand about emergencies, but how hard would it have been to advise us when we arrived. We could have run a few errands, or gone for coffee.
Glad I can use the internet for entertainment.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
How did it go? I hope that you found some answeres. Having to wait is so hard. Take care and I hope the knee is better. Tashia
 
After waiting for a half hour, we asked how much longer? They tell us the OS has an emergency surgery. I understand about emergencies, but how hard would it have been to advise us when we arrived. We could have run a few errands, or gone for coffee.

I agree. I changed my GP because his appointments were always running late (he was impatient with the kids, too). With 3 small children, all that waiting around was bad. My new GP did let people know if he was going to be delayed. One day, he had been called away (to deliver a baby). His nurse told me and offered me the option of coming back later or staying. When I said we'd stay she offered me a cup of coffee. I nearly fell off my chair!

@Pumpkln I do hope you got some answers when you finally saw the OS!
 
The visit was OK, he now knows the revision is not right.
I was so exhausted after the visit, that I went straight to bed for a nap.

The velcro sound is scar tissue under the knee cap, he gave me an exercise to help. If it does not resolve, the arthroscopic removal would be next. He wants to do 10x 3 sets spread out over the day, not going to start there for sure, I am going to ease up to that amount. The exercise is sitting in a chair, straightening and externally rotating my knee, holding 6 seconds.
Their x ray machine was down, so no full length x ray :sad:. He eye balled my alignment, and felt it was off about 5 degrees, which is what I had found using a photograph.
Wants me to keep adjusting the orthotics to see if they can stabilize my heel bone to keep it from inverting.
Does not recommend, but did mention the same thing as the podiatrist, which is a low tibial osteotomy to correct the old malunion fracture, which has a 4 degree varum bend. He did say though, "you would feel a lot better".
From my eyeballing my photograph that would bring my foot under my knee cap.

Last night I woke up with, with a discrete area of additional pain, took my finger and put it on the spot, was right on the fibula, those poor peroneal muscles, and tibialis posterior, are working hard to keep me in line.

The Physiatrist I am going to for pain managment, has an OS in his office who specializes in revisions, thinking about a second opinion from him. My only concern is in my work I saw a patient of his for a disabled bus interview, with a botched primary anterior THR he did, her implant was way to big, going through into her pelvis, so I have a lot of reservations about him. We found the surgeon who did her first hip beautifully, she was going back to him.
It is close to impossible for me to travel so this may be my best option for now.

I am looking forward to the next three days, no appointments scheduled, I can catch up on my rest.
Have a good weekend everyone,
 
@Pumpkln, It's so unfair that you have to go through all this. I hope it all gets resolved soon and you can be on the road to healing. I'm glad your pain is covered for the next month-hopefully by then you won't need anymore pain meds. Have a good and restful weekend. Kim
 
Hello @Pumpkln oh I so feel for you. I think that your concerns are well justified but you are so conversant on the subject of TKR I'm sure you could handle him as regards sizing etc of joints as regards the second opinion. I would be concerned about an X-ray machine being down in my visit, that would not impress me one bit, in fact it would make me apprehensive. I understand about the difficulty in travelling too. The thing is at the end of the day if you don't like or trust his second opinion then I would get a third one. I am totally reliant on lifts to my appointments. Ooh you're so lucky to have that pool...lovely xxx I hope that these exercises will help you and I get your reservations about the amount. I don't blame you for reducing them. Good for you xxx only you know your limits x I hope it all works out for you. You so deserve a break from all this now. You're always supporting all of us so now it's your turn to have support too xxxxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Hi Chris, @Pumpkln

Well, that OS visit wasn't the greatest, was it? Shame!

I agree with Ann, ( @Nana moon 27 ) that getting a third opinion could be a good idea. It does look as if you are going to have to go through a prolonged recovery. Anything we can do to help?
 
The OS visit was not the best, at least he recognized the mal alignment.
It is a common experience for Doctors to underestimate my symptoms, and not think they are much. I have to change the way I tell them about my problems, making sure they realize how significant they are. I am very calm during office visits, I think people who cry and are more dramatic get better care. I also think being a woman causes many Dr's to discount your symptoms as being a hysterical woman, even if you are calm. At least this is my experience.
My mal union bend in my tibia is not evident from the outside, but when you look at an x ray it really stands out.
A while back I read a short article about how mal alignment with revisions is not uncommon, a University in Northern Europe is doing a study of revisions and why this happens. It will be several years before they have their results. I wish I could remember where I saw this article.
I think it is inadequate presurgical preparation, for this most invasive surgery, at least I think this is true for me. It looks like the OS lined me up with my upper tibia, and if my foot was where is is supposed to be this would have been fine, but my left foot is off to the right by about 5 degrees.

Anything we can do to help?
Clicking the like button on my posts, or a short supportive note really helps me get through this. That way I know someone was here. And yes I am in for a long slog to recover.

The knee brace with the open knee area seems to help calm down my knee, and today my scar is not red, raised, and angry looking. I will take this as progress!
 
Hi @pumpkin1 just to let you know I'm always here popping in on your thread - I don't usually put a thing much as I don't think I have anything to say which will help but if knowing we are popping in helps I will say hi more often!

Through my journey you have been really inspirational to me and I am sorry things aren't great for you and I really hope someone has some answers for you.

Shortie x
 
Hi @Pumpkln

Do you know what? I totally understand where you are coming from when you say about poor presurgical preparation. Add to this my experience of inadequate consultation and support pre operatively and no wonder some of us suffer. At no point before the surgery did anyone discuss the type of knee I was to be fitted with, I didn't even meet the consultant before or after my TKR, until this revision business occurred because he was a stand in at my chosen hospital. However, I have to say that he has been very apologetic and supportive. He has kept me well informed as to what he thinks.

As regards your research there is quite a bit of research about revision occurrence but no real figures yet. It seems to variate as to which make of joint is fitted. I've been reading up about revision and reasons why lately.

Anyway, take care and I'll catch your later x x x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
@Nana moon 27 ,
I was surprised when I read you surgery was by an OS you had never met :yikes:. Gosh what are they thinking.
I need to be more pro active, and should not have let them cancel the pre-op, actually I did, and then they cancelled the second one too.:no-fin:
 
Hi @Pumpkln I am also stopping in as I often do to see how you are doing. You have been there for me so many times and your kindness is so appreciated. I will also make sure that I leave a message for you. I know how much it means to have someone respond to things you are thinking and be there when you just need someone to talk to when things are going both good and bad. You have had a lot to handle and seems unfair to have to deal with all of the pain and frustration on top of having to deal with the surgery.

I skip around posts try to get to know how others are making out with their recovery sometimes not sure if I should join in as not always sure what to say. I have always been amazed at how our bodies work not trained medically in any way but in awe of how much it takes to make our bodies run and how little I know about the place ( my body) that I live in. I took a disc of my e-rays to my surgeon to have ready for my appointment discussing my left knee last month and it was returned to me after the visit. He said take it home it was mine so I had a look. Showed my husband how my right knee surgery looked on my x-ray and so interesting have never seen a view of my new knee.

Days may go by when no one has visited my posts and then your name pops up and I know someone was there to and thanks. not too much going on there most days but really appreciate your visits and visits from other great people who stop in to. It makes you feel less alone. Wishing that they get it all sorted out for you and that things get easier. Thanks so much again for all you have done for me. Holly:friends:
 
@lavender ,
Thanks for your kind words, it does help even if someone stops by to say hello, sorry you are having a hard time.
We are not always looking for answers, but just to be heard and recognized.
This replacement experience can be a struggle and be lonely when those around us do not understand.
Bonesmart helps with members who know exactly what you are going through.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom