Guest viewing is limited

Hinged Joint Revision Complete, recovery continues

Hi Chris,

You must be relieved to have finally seen the podiatrist. I hope you are a bit closer to getting to the bottom of things. The hiking boots sound like a good idea but not much fun to have to wear in the summer. Maybe a pair of Doc Martens will do the trick too. They offer awesome support and are a little more stylish. I have had mine for years and they are my go to shoes when my knees and hips are acting up. They still offer a ton of support even 5 years after I bought them.

I sure hope you get your pain under control soon. Sending healing thoughts your way and wishing you a pain reduced day! :)
 
Just a thought, another legal, no script, readily available painkiller is alcohol, Hmmm, I wonder how you would dose it for pain? An ounce or two of _______ every 4 to 6 hours as needed for pain.
I looked it up, not a good idea.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I am using the 5 degree lateral wedge in my slippers with and insole. Seems to be helping, and the knee pain is way less. Too soon to say this is working, but looks like the right direction to go.
The other reason I know the wedge is working is because I have a major upset stomach after taking my Norco, it does not have pain to work on, so it has gone to my tummy. My knee feels better, but the rest of me not so much. This will pass in an hour or so. Going to see how this all pans out and lower my dose of Norco accordingly.
Good news is I have an appt with my Primary tomorrow at 1:45.
This is me right now, :elevate::sick:
 
Been using the wedge most of the day, so far so good. We will see in the middle of the night if it is acutally helping.
If not I will have pain, hoping for no pain tonight.
 
Hi Chris,
Just checking in to see how you are doing. Is the wedge working?
I a still dealing with trying to get my pain under control. It is 4:00 am now and I have been up since 2:00 so not working so far. This is soo frustrating.
Good luck with your doctor's appointment tomorrow. Is this appointment for something specific?
Take care.
:flwrysmile:
 
@71Beetle ,

Sorry you are up at night, goes with the territory this early in your recovery. I hope the new meds the doctor gave you help control your pain.


Had a good visit with my primary today about my pain meds and a schedule for weaning off over the next two months, if I still need them at that time she will refer me to a pain clinic.

I will be taking a combination of Norco, and Tramadol, decreasing slowly over time.

I think this is a good plan. Now I have to sit down a write a daily schedule of what order I take the medications.

I feel much better already, not so anxious about being cut off and told to handle it on my own. Amazingly my knee feels better too.


Using the wedge all day today, in my slippers and my optic white hi top Converse Chucks. The high top does give my ankle more input which helps.

Tomorrow I go to the orthotist to get the orthotic process started.
 
Hi Chris,

I am so pleased that you have some good news on the pain meds. I do hope it works well for you. Sounds like the wedge and the high tops are helping as well. It is nice to see things going in the right direction for you after all that you have been through.

What is the plan for the orthotics now? Is it to replace the wedge on a more permanent basis? Will you always have to wear orthotics now?

Do you like football? Canadian Football is in full swing now. Ottawa has a team again so I am sort of following. I am not a big fan of CFL or NFL but of course my husband and youngest boy are so it goes with the territory. We will likely go to a game soon. The CFL is so different from the NFL and of course, does not have the fan base. Ottawa does not support the sport well which is why we have been without a team for a number of years. Hopefully this time we can keep the team here.
 
Not a big Football fan, watch a few games during the season and playoffs. Seems like it goes on forever.
The orthotics will be a permanent fixture in my life. An orthotic will fit better in my shoes, the wedge with the footbed on top takes up a lot of room in the shoe.
Hope your football team is better supported this time around.
 
Hi Chris,
Good to hear that you are getting the pain medications sorted out!

I hope that your appointment with the orthotist goes well. I had orthotic insoles in my shoes for a while and they helped one problem (pronation) but worsened another (put more pressure on the medial compartment of my knee, which was painful). I gave up on them, but I now buy just one brand of shoes, which have superb arch support.
 
Not so sure about the tramadol. Cannot sleep since 1 am. Used ice and TENs they helped a little.
Only one appt. today, hope to nap later.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
First night went OK with the new medication schedule. Except for my appointment today, I am going to take it easy. I think it will be too easy to join the ODIC today.
 
PUMPKIN ..... Wow, you really have been through it. My surgeon thinks that part of ,my problem was that I did too much too soon.
Sometimes you can't win.
abby
 
I have a feeling that I am ODIC this evening, been walking too much in the house today without my crutches. :thud:
Orthotist went well, we are going to have an intrinisc post in the heel, then if needed and external post if that is not enough. My calcaneus is supinated about 9 degrees, that is a lot.:shocked:
The orthotic will be ready next week, they have their own lab and do not have to send it out.:yes:
Tired tonight, will use ice and TENS again for pain as needed.:ice:
Going shoe shopping tomorrow or this weekend. :doh:
Everyone have a good evening and I hope a good nights :sleeep: for all of us sleepless in Bonesmart land.:tiredwheel:
 
Pumpkin .... I am SO sorry you're still having to go through more. What are the posts you were talking about having put in your heel. It sounds painful. You must be soooooooo sick of all this. I feel for you my friend .... please keep us updated.on what's happening. Good luck shoe shopping this weekend. Since I've got my new "walking orders" about what kind of shoes I need to wear, shoe shopping isn't near as much fun as it used to be. But, if it helps, I'll do it.
Take care of yourself.
abby
 
I agree that shoe shopping is not as fun! I had a very comfy pair of Clark's last time I loved. I may just get a similar pair after this surgery. I hope you have a better day today PumpkIn. You have been so patient with this recovery and so cheering to us tkr members!
 
Slept better last night, new medication schedule seems to be working OK.
Going to the pool this morning, then shoe shopping this afternoon.
Housekeeper in this morning, boy does the house need a good cleaning!
Did not pay a price for all the walking (for me) yesterday, yeah!
 
Shoe shopping was a bust, they did not have any of the models I was looking for.
Back to the drawing board.
 
Shame about the shoes! Better luck next time!

I bought a pair of sport sandals yesterday, as I will be spending 5 days on a canal barge in France, with friends. I wanted some shoes that would protect my feet, while staying on (so not flip-flops), wouldn't trip me up and wouldn't have slippery soles if the deck was wet. I was lucky enough to find a pair on sale ($50 off). They needed a bit of minor adjustment when I got home - using nail scissors, I had to pare back a piece of leather that hard a sharp edge, and then smooth the cut surface with a nail file. Now, they feel fine!
 
Hi Chris,

Sorry you were unable to find the shoes you were looking for. Can you get them on-line if you have had them before or do you need to try them on because they are new? I have looked everywhere for a specific pair of sandals that my hubby has that he wants another pair of. They are FootJoys but they no longer make this style or a style similar. I did look on eBay but the only pair I found there were used. I don't think he would be impressed if I bought him used shoes. Judging by the picture, they were well worn as well.

Did you get to go swimming today? How is that going? Are you finding it helps or does it add to the over-doing it that you often do. :)

How are your meds treating you? Have you got a schedule and cocktail that is working for you? Don't you wish we were discussing frozen cocktails with the little umbrellas as opposed to medical cocktails? I am not a big drinker but I do love a cold beer or a margarita or two on the weekends....

Hope you are having a good weekend!

@Jozilla, if you find a pair of shoes that you really like, buy two so you don't experience the let-down that my husband is experiencing. He is really hard to fit because he has wide feet with really high arches. Finding regular shows are fine but sandals and ice skates are always an issue for him.

Oh, and @Celle have a great time in France!
 
I don't think he would be impressed if I bought him used shoes
Pretty much you would be in the dog house if you purchased worn out shoes for hubby.:dogsniff:
Wide feet are hard to fit, seems everyone wants B width, I think very narrow feet are as big a pain as wide feet to find a shoe that fits.
I try to swim 3x a week or every other day, the chlorine is hard on my asthma, that schedule seems to work best.
My pain cocktail seems to be OK, working out the kinks as far as scheduling, think I am missing one dose of tramadol in the mix. Working out to Norco 3x a day, and should be taking Tramadol 4x a day, but since I take it in between the Norco I miss a dose. Will re work the schedule today so I get better pain control.
Yes I would rather be talking about drinks with umbrellas, for now we can have Shirley Temples or Roy Rogers, for an adult drink how about an Arnold Palmer. :cheers:

Taped my insole to my lateral wedge yesterday, don't think my knee liked the combination of trying on shoes, and the taping. This morning with the tape it felt like my knee was being jammed when I walked. I took the tape off, hope it settles down soon. The wedge is 5 degrees, I could use less. Orthotics will be ready Tuesday, knowing me I will be back in for several adjustments to get it right.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend,
 
Back
Top Bottom