Hinged Joint Revision Complete, recovery continues

Sleep well and goodnight @Pumpkln x I'm glad your knees doing so well. I may try doing some window shopping. It seems those little rests during the walk take a lot of pressure off your knee.

Wow, 60's in winter is incredible.

Take care now, I've got to get ready for the hospital. My appointments 10 am. Have to be out by 9.10 latest because of the difference x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
The chlorine in the pool finally caught up with me, my lungs would feel better, then would get worse. Went to my primary yesterday and got a short course of steroids, started them today. Hoping to feel better soon.

Received a massage on Saturday from a friend who has the same training I have. Good News! My knee is feeling better, less stressed. I went for a walk, I had sore muscles, not a sore knee.
I will take this as progress.
 
Good news about the knee, Chris! Not so good for your chest, but I hope the steroids help.
 
Thanks Celle,
It will take a day or two for my chest to fully settle down, just glad to have something on board.
 
Yeah, "normal" sore muscles rather than a sore knee is a good sign.
 
Walked too much yesterday. ODIC. Resting now. :(


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
Still paying the price for walking too much over a week ago, today is better than yesterday so hopefully I am on the mend.
Feeling frustrated and know I am going to have to seek additional opinions before doing anything or doing nothing.
My revision is out of alignment.
I have a crooked lower leg on the TKR side (fx 1974), the opinion of my OS and the podiatrist I saw is a low tibial osteotomy to bring the lower leg back into alignment, which will place my foot under the TKR knee. I was told I would feel much better. :shrug: Since I am batting 100% for unsuccessful surgeries on this knee I am very skeptical, and fear ending up even more debilitated.
Pity party is over :beer:
 
@Pumpkln, I feel for you. My surgeries haven't been successful either. Having your leg out of alignment puts additional stress on your body. The whole way you stand and walk is altered. I'll join you in the pity party. It is frustrating.
 
Oh @Pumpkln

(((((Hugs))))). I don't know what to say to you except what rotten luck! I can understand your fear totally. I would be the same.

Do you have a time limit to make the decision about further surgery? X x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xoxox
 
@Pumpkln Have as many pity parties as you need. That's what we're here for. But then, when you're done, we are here for you for support, too. We've all been there and know how much this forum helps. I hope you figure it out soon and can then put all the problems behind you; you've had more than your fair share of them.
 
Chris, Do you know what is involved in a `low tibial osteotomy'? How does it compare to a TKR/Revision? What are the factors you are considering to help you come to a decision.
 
Still paying the price for walking too much over a week ago, today is better than yesterday so hopefully I am on the mend.
Feeling frustrated and know I am going to have to seek additional opinions before doing anything or doing nothing.
My revision is out of alignment.
I have a crooked lower leg on the TKR side (fx 1974), the opinion of my OS and the podiatrist I saw is a low tibial osteotomy to bring the lower leg back into alignment, which will place my foot under the TKR knee. I was told I would feel much better. :shrug: Since I am batting 100% for unsuccessful surgeries on this knee I am very skeptical, and fear ending up even more debilitated.
Chris, I'm so sorry that you are facing this.

Let's ask @Josephine for her advice - maybe you have already?
 
An osteotomy is cutting a bone across at a given point to realign it between the two joints.
The cut can be fixed with a plate and screws or a frame, depending upon difficulty.

[Bonesmart.org] Revision Complete, recovery continues
[Bonesmart.org] Revision Complete, recovery continues


I'm very much afraid that success is not a given.
 
Thanks Josephine for taking time to post the information. I am very wary of this, and in no rush to do anything without a second opinion or more. I agree success is not a given for this type of surgery.

@patient 99 ,
There is no rush as far as I am concerned. As you can see from Josephine's graphics it is a wedge in the bone to change the angle, in my case move the tibia back to it's natural position.
I have not been able to find anyone to make me a decent orthotic, they all seem to follow the rules for a high arched foot, which does not work for me. I have some off the shelf insoles that can be modified, by me, just have to get the file out and adjust them to what I think needs to be done.
Also thinking of scheduling some sessions with my teacher to address my other alignment issues which cause me to push all my force vectors through the TKR knee during walking. I saw her this weekend during a class she was teaching, for a session with one of the students, I found the session very helpful, with lots of input from her.
Other considerations are I am developing arthritis in the TKR ankle, and the osteotomy would address that as well as my mal alignment of the tibia.
In the end it depends on what I am willing to live with, and am I willing to take what I consider a high risk surgery, for me.

@Celle, Thanks for tagging Josephine!
 
Oh @Pumpkln

I was truly shocked when I saw what is involved with that surgery. I'd seen the name mentioned a few times across the forum but not understood what it is x It is very complex.

What a hard decision. But like you say. It can wait a while, so you can consider options x x

Take care thinking of you

Love Ann x x x
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom