Hinged Joint Revision Complete, recovery continues

Hi Chris, There used to be a place on BS where you could ask medical questions. The questions were put to an OS and then you got to read the answers. I remember asking a question on whether one could have an MRI scan of a metal knee. I can't find this area now. Perhaps its been discontinued. Could you help.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My knee survived the trip, I used my crutches and a wheel chair at the airport to keep my revision knee from flaring on me.
I have new orthotics on the way, went to someone who understood what my foot needs to help keep my knee from going further out of alignment.
Just had my next OS visit moved up a month, they called me. I am glad to have it sooner rather than later.
My revision keeps healing, oh so very slowly. It will be a year on the 15th of April, a very long year.
 
i'm glad you can get an earlier appointment.
 
Hi @Pumpkln

Do you have any idea what's causing your misalignment or why ? X I didn't realise that was what was happening. I thought your revision had done the trick. Mind you between my goldfish brain and medication I've probably missed something somewhere. I know your back was very bad recently x x x
 
The revision angles in (more bowlegged), added to my already crooked lower leg from a previous fracture and I am out of alignment by about 5 degrees.
Worked on my gait today to allow my hip to come more directly over my knee and foot, I need to strengthen some leg muscles, to keep my hip from going to the outside when I walk.
The revision itself performs pretty well, I have 10 degrees more flexion this time around, with out trying.
No worries about the :bigfish:
 
:heehee: Oh @Pumpkln that emoticon just sums it up perfectly ha ha ha x I understand now about what's happened with your knee/leg. That made sense. I'm so glad you are getting help.

I completely agree about the value of the revision. I got 120/0 for the first time ever. Before revision as you know, my knee was permanently bent. I can honestly say I'm glad I had the revision done. Ok I might have an odd swollen day but most people get that. It's nice not having the arthritic pain that I've got reminding me constantly tonight (grrrr) in my left.

Thanks for replying. I hope everything is okay with you.

Love Ann x x x
 
Chortles @goldfishbrain I have the space to be classed as the bowl. Will tell Harrold to get his flippers out

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Oh @Pumpkln

I'm sorry your TKR is sore. I do feel for you. It has been a long year Chris. Terribly long x has it felt worse since you stopped going to the pool?

I'm going down for top up med and ice. Own fault. I've just 'fessed up on my thread. Tormenting the elder grandchildren. Xxx this is justice on me x x

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Just got back from my one year visit with my OS, we discussed my continuing knee pain, pain worse at night, limited walking distances (100 yards/meters) I use crutches for long distances, pain over the ilio-tibial band (ITB) and crepitus in my TKR knee. You can feel all the lumps and bumps as I straighten and bend my knee, complete with crunching and ripping sounds. My ROM is good 0 degrees to 130 degrees.
He had previously suggested arthroscopic surgery to remove the scar tissue around my knee cap if it did not resolve, today he said he thought I would benefit from having the scar tissue removed. He also suggest a steroid shot into the sore area of my ITB.
I also asked him about my mal alignment, my knee is anatomically aligned, (except for my 5 degree bow leg at my tibial mal union fracture).
My challenge is scheduling, I take double or triple+ the time to heal compared to other people, we have a big cruise planned for December. Do I go ahead now with the arthroscopy and get it behind me with the hope I will be healed and be better than I am now by December? Or wait until we return to have the arthroscopy in 2016?
I think I need to sleep on this.
 
It's only early April, Chirs, @Pumpkln .
If it were me, I'd have the arthroscopy as soon as possible. That will give you quite a long time to recover, and you might be able to enjoy your cruise with an improved leg. It's your decision, though!

Do you have any idea how much work your OS anticipates doing during the arthroscopy? That might have some bearing on your decision.
 
Right now the OS looking at the outside area, but I suspect there is some scar tissue all around the knee cap, just much less on the inside. Good question to ask before I proceed.
Thinking about all this, of course my knee feel fine.
 
@pumpkin i was in the same position as you when deciding on my revision. We fly long-haul beginning of June and my revision date was March 3rd. I had suffered in so much pain though and i had to have a cutoff date due to restrictions of me being fit to fly. I was placed on the list in November exactly 1 year post op from my primary. I made the revision by one day and decided to go ahead as even if i had residual op pain surely it would be better than the pain i had. So far i am 4 weeks post op and glad i went ahead and have seen improvements already. December is a while away and you will have reasonable time to recover....best of all if it improves things for you it will make your holiday even better :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks Celle, and cherub,
In re reading my post, :doh:, and discussing everything with DH I have decided to call the OS office on Monday to start the process of scheduling the arthroscopy. Lots of questions :what: of course.
I have really restricted my activity, not walking too far, and so on, hopefully clearing out the scar tissue will help.
 
@pumpkin i have had 2 osteotomies before my TKR and revision if you want any info from a patients point of view. Mines was an opening wedge femoral osteotomy though. Good luck with the arthroscope x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Chereb,
Thanks for your help, a low tibial osteotomy is a last resort. Hoping the gait training and the removal of the scar tissue will allow me to be active again. The gait training is already helping, with less stress through the outside of my leg and knee. Glad you are doing will after your revision.
FYI: When you tag me it is pumpkln with an L instead of a i.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom