Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

@celynda I also had night sweats early on and I never took Tramadol. For a while I took a spare top to bed so I would not have to wake up my husband to change. I never knew what caused the night sweats. I don’t get them anymore now at 10 weeks.

I also work from home and now I’m starting to work briefly from my home office. I still elevate and ice and find the recliner in my living room and wedge are a lot more convenient. Thankfully taking conference calls and working on my computer doesn’t require I be in any particular place. Because of that I was able to resume work activities a week after TKR.
 
Working from home is ideal for TKR recovery. The bigger issue then is mostly brain fog and exhaustion, so part time (or severely curtailed time) is the best plan for the first weeks back. You find out pretty fast what you can actually do --I could do matter-of-fact writing, but not creative writing, at first-- and how much.

You may find the flight to Green Bay (Go Packers!) and the activity of the ceremony to be a bit much. Will there be a lot of walking going to and from the ceremony? I hope you can be seated for most, if not all, of it. Plan for icing and elevating at your destination.

Here's an article about Flying Soon After Surgery.
 
I thought I could back to work at 6 weeks, but I needed that extra time off. I came back to work at the end of December, there were a lot of 4 day weeks due to holiday!
 
Working part time is working out. I work for a few hours in the morning and then rest, etc. for the rest of the day. PT came for the first time today (13 days post-op) ROM was 90/0 so I am happy and so will the OS when I see him on Friday. The PT seemed almost disappointed the OS wrote in the orders: "No progressive exercises." Guess, this leaves me with just walking. Gee, what a concept. I did overdo it a bit on Tuesday. I went and got the mail. It's about 500 ft round trip and knocked me flat for the rest of the day.

Pain is under control and mostly steady at 5/6. I'm still setting the alarm for 0430 dose of Tramadol/Tylenol.
 
It's about 500 ft round trip and knocked me flat for the rest of the day.
It is understandable that it knocked you our. But, you DID it! That's something to celebrate! These celebrations along the way show us that the end is in sight!
 
The first walks are exhausting. Short walks eventually become longer walks, though. Little by little. You already have excellent flexion. The rest will come naturally as your knee heals. Until then, enjoy your naps. :)
 
Thanks Susie and Sisters for words of encouragement and celebration.

PT came today and we walked past my mailbox to the neighbors mailbox. Distance was about double the first walk. Left me exhausted and but not worn out. Seeing OS for 1st Post Op appointment tomorrow. Yay, 2.5 hour ride; 30 minute appointment and 2.5 hours back. Will be in front if it slides back far enough or in back.
 
You may want to stop half way for a stretch break. And bring cold packs.
 
Take pillows with you, too. Any elevation will help. That's quite a long time you'll be traveling. Let us know how it goes and what your OS says.
 
Such good advice. Did I follow any of it? Nope. I sat in the backseat and was able keep my knee up. I was stiff and when we got there. I did walk the 700 steps needed to go from the front door to the appointment room and back. I had thought about requesting a wheelchair but didn’t.

The PA said the incision looks good. She estimated ROM at 85/0. Told I was at 90 yesterday. This PA is more aggressive than my OS so I just nodded agreeably to everything she said and made no promises.

The glue/tape covering the incision has started to peel off. Next Thursday, I can remove it completely by slathering Vaseline over it and then leaving for a couple hours. It should peel right off. Then I can start massaging the incision with Bio Oil. No pool until all of the scans are gone.

Today will be s total rest day.
 
Don't massage your incision with anything unless it is completely healed,with no scabs or open areas. To do so any sooner means you could risk introducing infection.

I used Bio Oil too, but only as a moisturiser. The scar itself will heal and fade gradually, even if you put nothing on it:
Massage post THR

If you haven't used Bio Oil before, do test another area of your skin first. We did have someone here who reacted to it and developed a nasty rash all over her knee.
 
Morning walk completed. Just under 500 steps to the corner and back. Further than the first walk with the PT.

Icing now and trying to remember I am only 15 days Post Op. I reviewed my posts from the 1st TKA and the movement is about the same. The pain levels seem to be similar as well. Using more Tramadol this time instead of Oxy. I can tell I’m less loopy which means I’m more aware of the “apparent” lack of progress.

Time for meds as icing isn’t cutting it.
 
Last edited:
500 steps is a whole lot for just 2 weeks! I agree that it's great getting off of the Oxy. Tramadol with Tylenol worked really well for me! You are doing well and need to just worry about healing instead of progress at this point. You will naturally improve as you heal.
 
That’s great advice: Just focus on the healing. The progress will follow.

That 500 feet is great! I remember doing that and thinking, “That’s one and a half football field!” Made my accomplishment feel more impressive. :heehee:

Glad thebTramadol is working for you.
 
:tiredwheel:Did 1500 steps today and PT transitioned me to a cane. ROM is 95 and -2. Using the Hurry Cane which I had left over from the first TKA. She suggested I talk walker if I go out “just in case.” First outing is in the morning to moms to help her set up her Alexa. Will be home in the afternoon for PT. I’ve started blocking time on my calendar to rest. Am working too much. Boss is in full support. It’s my work ethic that’s keeping me working.

Do I sound like I need a keeper?
 
Last edited:
Yes, you most definitely sound like a keeper! 1500 steps at less than 3 weeks is out of this world! Be sure and take those rest times that your knee and body so desperately need!
 
Three football fields! You’re doing wonderfully well. I too was told to use the walker until the cane felt completely secure. Use whatever device feels best and most stable for you. I did find, at first, that I tired more quickly using a cane for walks. That’s normal. More muscles are working to keep the body upright and working together and they have to get stronger to get back into it.

It’s good that you recognize you’re working too much. It’s easy to fall into a “just a little more/longer” mentality with work. Few can resist. It’s not so much that you need a keeper, as that you need to work harder at being a better keeper... of yourself. We all struggle with this. Blocking out time for rest (and icing, and elevating) is a great solution and tells me you are good at working with a plan.
 
Just got back from the ED. For the last couple of days my R calf has been very painful. No matter what I did, Ice, heat, elevate, walk or not walk, nothing worked.

Called the OS whose PA prescribed Robaxin thinking it might be a muscle cramp. No better this morning so called 911 and headed to ED. After ultrasound and X-ray, no DVT. More likely a Baker cyst which should resolve on its own.

Came home and put ice under my knee. Will rest for remainder of day. Pick up Walking tomorrow.

Anything else I should know about a Baker’s Cyst?
 
Well I found out that a baker’s cyst can recur even after knee replacement. AND they are not fun. But you already know that. So glad it wasn’t dvt and good that you had it checked out. I’ll be interested to read your feedback on this issue from other members.
 
Back
Top Bottom