Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

The nerve catheter came out this afternoon so we'll see if Tramadol/Tylenol cocktail is enough. I have both Oxy and advil as back ups so I figured I'd start with the Oxy.

The 100mg of Tramadol make me very tired but not really loopy which is a nice switch from the Oxy. Tomorrow, I am going to start taking 50 in the am and leave the 100 for the evening.

With the nerve catheter out, I can take a shower, which I am sooo looking forward to.
 
Shower taken and miracles of miracles, I was able to STEP out of the tub with my new knee. It was only 8 inches as I have a very shallow tub and it was uncomfortable but not painful.

It's raining here and the sound of the rain on the metal roof is so nice.

Hope everyone has a nice evening.
 
That first shower felt so wonderful! You had someone there with you when you took your shower, didn't you? That's something you don't want to do alone the first few times, just in case you need help!

We're supposed to have rain tomorrow and snow Wednesday. We had spring in February and we're having spring in March.
 
Pain levels elevated today so spent most of it resting. Am using the Cryocuff now and feeling okay.

Still waiting on home health care agency to contact me. In no rush to have the PT start coming.
 
It's no big deal if they never contact you! This will give your knee the time it needs to heal. Just stretch and bend without discomfort. Your daily activities will be enough pt your knee needs!
 
If you’re comfortable and content and feeling no need for home health care or PT... you’ve got this. If they show up or they don’t, it’s all good. :)
 
Nurse came today. Said incision looked good. My BP was elevated probably due to higher pain level. The nurse will check on my every other day or so. PT should start tomorrrow. We’ll see how it goes.

Was out of bed for a couple hours today. I have a chair and ottoman in the L/R where I can rest the leg straight.

I bought a Lounge Doctor but it’s too high for comfort. Having the leg straight on the bed is best. I have the head of the bed raised about 75 degrees. The pain is about 5 and I have to keep reminding myself
- everyone is different
- every knee is different
- my knee is not even 7 days old

I was able to work some today and even accomplished a couple of things. My deal with the boss is to work in the mornings when the brain fog is minimal. I’m taking meds at 10:30 and 4:30 am working unti 11 is a good plan.

Afternoon work will come in time, I am sure
 
Week 1 Post Op
- still no visit from Poop Fairy. Will consider adding Miralax to Senakot routine
- Tramadol/Tylenol combo working pretty well; have needed 10MG Oxy in afternoon
- top of knee painful; feels like it would feel better if I rubbed it which I can't because of the tape covering the incision.

No regrets (yet) and able to work some. Mostly vegging with 1 - 2 walks to kitchen each day. My parents are still here. Going to encourage them to go home tomorrow. It's time to manage on my own.
 
Oh, that's so annoying, to want to rub/scratch your skin and not be allowed to do so yet. Time will come, and soon, when you can do some gentle massaging near the incision. For the Poop Fairy, I found Miralax worked well. Prunes make a nice snack if you like those. :wink:

I hope you have no regrets ever. Functional, working knees are a beautiful thing.
 
Dried apricots are also good.
 
Mixed nuts, Miralax, and a stool softener kept me going!
 
The poop fairy visited before lunch today.:angel::angel: No need to add anything to the Senekot just yet. When I sit in my living room, I sit in a swivel chair and put my leg up on an ottoman. After lunch, I sat down on the ottoman instead of the chair. As I was struggling to get up, my knee flexed a bit much and I felt something go sppprrring. I can barely put any weight on my R foot. It feels as if I have a Charley horse on the outside of my calf. I don't have any additional bruising.

Sure hope it feels better soon.

It's a good thing I wasn't really expecting anything from home health or PT. I was discharged on Sat and I am still waiting to hear from PT. The nurse came and did her "assessment." Another agency is going to take on the case and I should hear from them on Monday. It could be sooner.
 
I hope it feels better soon. Ice it as much as you can. You probably strained something.
 
I’ve switched to heat under my calf and it feels great. As soon as I stand, though, the calf pain will remind me it’s still here. I had a fairly decent gait going and now I back to hobbling.

I’m debating whether or not call my OS tomorrow or wait and see the nurse and/or says on Monday. Of course, I can always go to Emergency. This is the least excitement of my options.

I’ve also troubled with night sweats and wake with the pillow and sheets soaked. Is because of the Tramadol, senakot, probiotic or something else.

The poop fairy made another visit today. So I’m close to my “regular” schedule. How long should I continue the Senakot? The script use for constipation which I don’t have anymore?

My parents are still here. I decided I can handle being waited on hand and foot as long as they want to continue helping. If my calf pain was gone, I’d be talking about them being gone Monday. Now, I’m thinking Thursday or Friday.
 
Last edited:
The calf is feeling much better today. Had a bit of a reality check when I spent about 15 in my office checking out the work computer. The idea of sitting at a desk for a couple of hours any time soon is laughable. Any work I do will be done from a lounging position on the bed or chair in the Living room.
 
Great news that your calf feels better today! I remember my calf was quite painful for the first few weeks after my surgery. I believe the OS will move our legs in all kinds of positions while testing out our new knees. I think this is why so many of us have sore muscles in so many different places.
 
@celynda I did the same thing you did. I had to get on my work computer 2 weeks post op to up date my HR benefit for 2018.
I was online for 30 minutes trying to update those files. 15 minute of the time was just trying to comprehend! The Brain was too foggy from surgery. I don’t think I could of worked one minute. Give yourself time to heal.
 
I hear you, @Mutti3. No more "testing the limits" for me. My plan is to work a couple of hours in the morning and then rest, ice and elevate the rest of the time.

I can do 90% of what I might to do from my Microsoft Surface. The boss will pleased with any amount of effort or work. There is no pressure to be a hero. I also want to make you I can fly to Green Bay on May 1 - 3 to attend an award ceremony where my team is getting an award.

I will be taking full advantage of airport wheelchairs and will bring my cane. I should be finished with the walker within 3 weeksl
 
Wow! I couldn’t do 1% at your stage of recovery! I work from home full time, when back at 8 weeks. Sounds like fun time in Green Bay !
 
I work from home as well spending most of time in meetings/conference calls. I’m definitely planning on a slower return to work plan now than I was thinking about last week.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom