Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

It does not even make sense to take a pain reliever before PT. How would you know if you are damaging your knee? I think you can simply state that your OS wants to make sure you can move safely and ask her to help you with that and that only. I would never do that list of exercises, it is really silly to think someone who just had surgery could do all of that.
 
I so totally agree. I requested the Oxy first thing this morning so it was more or less coincidence.

The PT didn’t come today. Instead, two nice gentlemen came. I immediately said walking only and no exercises. No pushback.

Initial flexion is 75 which is more than yesterday’s 60. After walking 120’, flexion is still 75 and extension is 6 which is way better then yesterday’s 20.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OS prescribed Celebrex
My OS told me that NSAIDs, which Celebrex and Torodol are, inhibit bone healing and to stop taking my NSAID. It seems all anti-inflammatories are bad on your body. Try googling those meds and you'll see what I'm taking about.
 
My doc also ordered 10 days of Celebrex for the inflammation. I have to say that all of the PT s that I have worked with have been extremely professional and gentle. They totally understand how to rehab a TKR.
 
OS sent me home with Tylenol, Tramadol, Ibuprofen, and Oxy. I'm going to try the Tramadol/Tylenol combo first. With the nerve block, I am pain free. If I need to, I'll add in the Oxy.

Here's picture of the incision. While I currently have gauze and an ace wrap on it for the travel home, I can take it off and just need to keep the incision clean/dry. I can get it wet as long as I keep the nerve block dry.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Revision #3 Journey
    Picture1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 189
Are you home now? How was the ride?

How are Post op appointments handled with you living 3 hours away?
 
I also read about NSAIDs slowing bone growth. I had been taking Aleve. I don’t have cement, so my implant will be held with bone growth. Im not taking the chance.
 
@Jockette, I've been home for about 3 hours now. I even managed a sitting shower and washed my hair. Between the tramadol, Tylenol and nerve block, I am feeling no pain. No swelling either. I have an adjustable bed and a Lounge doctor which I may use. I didn't elevate in the hospital and ice was limited. He also doesn't care whether or not I wear the TEDs so I left them in the hospital room.:giggle: We'll see how I do in the morning. I took a picture of the incision today so I will have something to compare the swelling.

I have a Wound Check appointment in two weeks and will need to go back for xrays in three months. If everything looks good, I just to send regular xrays. I can have them done in a stand alone imaging place and sent to Mayo.
 
I’m glad you’re doing so well!

That’s great you can have X-rays done close to home.

What about if you need pain medication refills? Sometimes patients have to go to the office to get the script.

Sorry about all the questions. I’m having some issues so a second opinion is not going to be close to home for me. It should be less distance than yours though. I’m about in the middle between Baltimore and Philadelphia.

Continued Best Wishes!
 
The OS can send Tramadol refills directly to my local Walgreens. If I need more Oxy, they will mail script to me. I've heard good things about the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC.
 
My OS told me that NSAIDs, which Celebrex and Torodol are, inhibit bone healing and to stop taking my NSAID. It seems all anti-inflammatories are bad on your body. Try googling those meds and you'll see what I'm taking about.
Ugh! I can't take aspirin, naproxen, or ibuprofen but my OS had me take Celebrex for 14 days. He went to a conference and learned some miracle pain prevention regime which includes IV Tylenol (I am a nurse and never knew IV Tylenol existed)as well as Celebrex and something else I can't remember, I think maybe the lidocaine right into the joint. This was supposed to be the regime that would make narcotic pain relief unnecessary. HAH! I woke up in severe pain after the operation and needed Dilaudid PCA by evening, so much for that.
 
For the first 24 hours after surgery, I was given IV Tylenol along with the tramadol and toroidal. Then we switched to oral Tylenol.

For me the game changer was the OnQ PCA with 1200mg/600 ML of Ropivacaine It delivers medication automatically and I can push it as well. I was given 600 units and have used 200. They put this in about 12 hours after surgery which was later than the OS expected. It should have been done right about surgery. At this rate, the unit will be empty in about 36 hours. I have to send back one of the pump pieces and they even provide the box to ship it back.

I had a similar nerve catheter with my CMC joint surgery and it was wonderful. I don't know if it's a specialty item at Mayo or is available at most major hospitals. Needless to say, if I ever have joint surgery again, I will insist on the catheter.
 
I noticed there are a lot of nurses on BoneSmart. I guess we earned our “strips” with bad backs, and worned out knees!
 
Post Op update day 4

Resting comfortably at home. So nice to be in one's own bed. Other than letting dogs go outside 4 times (not usual at all), it was a good night. Breakfasted in LR with leg elevated straight. Still no swelling.

Back in bed now for some vegging. The nerve catheter is about 50% finished which is probably why I am in minimal pain. Haven't needed Oxy in 24 hours.

I am planning on bringing in a home health aid in the evenings to fix dinner, feed the dogs, and be here while I shower.
 
It’s going to good having someone here for the most important things: feeding dogs and supervising the shower.

Today’s been a good day. Needed 10 mg Oxy at noon; sat in chair with ottoman for a couple of hours; rest of time in bed. Did some ankle pumps and slides; quad sets. Tried leg raises without success. Although, I can raise my leg to use the lounge doctor so I’m not worried yet.

No visit, yet, from ‍♀️. I wonder if tramadol is as constipating as Oxy.
 
Day 6

Good night sleep last night. Very tired today. Wrote one work email. The outside of my calf/ankle on the operated side is very sore. It’s a deep soreness not an ache and isn’t sore to touch. I’m elevating and icing so maybe this will help.
 
You're doing all the right things. Lots of resting, elevating and icing. Having pain/soreness show up in new places in this early stage is to be expected. As long as it's not severe the pain is just part of the body waking up to what's happened to it. The surgeon and team did a lot of manipulating, pulling, tugging, and handling of those soft tissues so it would be more unusual if nothing showed up.

That you could write a work email is impressive. Some post-op brains are barely up to writing a grocery list!
 
One work email knocked me out for a couple of hours. Good thing the expectations are low.

My neice has left to get back to her spring break. We had a really nice and talked about a lot of things going on in her life. As a caregiver, she needs practice. My folks are taking over which is something I really didn’t want to do as they aren’t in the best of health. I, however, don’t have the brain bytes to argue.
 
Glad you're home and mostly resting.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom