Guest viewing is limited

THR Resurfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ditched my devices this week while I am in the house or out with someone there I can hold on to their arm for added support ( hubby and sister) so please keep using them if you feel the need and like me, tire easily.
 
I love watching the videos on you tube! So fascinating. I should have set my goals higher as a young man.
 
Pretty good news with some explanation of where some of the bad came from. Everything seems to be healing well but my muscle was not quit grafting to the bone and the implant as fast as possible. I received an injection in that hip which was supposed to help with both the pain and the grafting. He said that before seeing what he saw today on X-Ray given my history with opiates he was going to have a talk with me about the pain meds just to ensure that I was not overtaking them. Now seeing the issues I was having he understood that I needed them and he said I should see some drastic changes in the next few weeks. We did my first therapy session today and we were able to get a good bit more aggressive with it and I felt way less pain and felt better balanced. So I am looking forward to the next 3 weeks to see where we are now. I know it is not a sprint but a marathon and I will keep that in mind. He did say that physically I could drive but we needed to wait the next three weeks and see ho well the grafting was taking place and if we could come off of the pain meds and then he would give me full driving privileges back. Thanks for all the prayers thoughts and support.
 
Sorry if it seems like I have dropped off the face of the earth I have just started back to school. I am still having a ton of pain after 10 weeks but the doctors assure me it was because of the severity of my surgery from the previous break. They actually ask me today was I hurting mid shaft on my femur. My answer "well yes as a matter of a fact I am" "Oh that's just about the right time then" She said. I asked what she meant. She told me there was a lot of cartilage mid shaft from my femur break 5 years ago and the reason the made that leg longer was they knew in about 10 weeks the shaft of my hip replacement would work its way a little further through the cartilage. I thought that was a great story to tell me now that I am facing the pain. Anyway other than that I have received my rights to drive back and I am headed to outpatient therapy next week. I am doing well just still dealing with the pain for now. Thanks for checking @Freaky freak
 
Glad to hear you are progressing as the Drs are expecting. Hopefully this time next year we won't even think about our journey through THRs. Take care....Judy
 
@medic4355 Just checking in to see how you are doing. I hope you are getting better. I remember when I first joined this site, you hadn't had your surgery yet.
 
Well it has been a while since I have posted but I am looking for some encouragement and advice. I had a RTHR on Dec 31 2013. Before this surgery I had a bad accident where I broke over 20 bones and I had pins in right hip that caused it to grow back crooked and it would spontaneously dislocate. The surgery took nearly three hours because they had to cut through some if the hardware and then go back and tap and extract the remainder of the hardware. So now after 6 months I seem to be getting stronger still but still dealing with some pretty significant pain on a daily basis. I usually am about a 4-5/10 on the pain scale and my doctor has been gracious enough to fill my prescriptions. With that said I am dealing with a little discouragement because I would like to be off the meds. I am taking Loratab7.5/350 and I also have Tramadol available but it rarely can cover the pain. I am also still in therapy. I am using ice frequently especially after therapy. Does anyone have any other suggestions that they have found help them?
 
At this point, I would suggest alternative medicine like acupuncture ! Bless your heart! I can only imagine how discouraging your whole ordeal has been!

I am looking into DIET (better late than never) to heal my body! At this moment, I am slow cooking some of our organically raised buffalo bones so I can eat to rebuild bone! (I think you can find info on-line about the benefits of bone broth)

I am reading "Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman. I believe our bodies, given the proper nutrients, CAN/WILL heal !
I think many people, in the USA, are guilty of thinking a "Happy Meal" has nutritional value! Ha! It does. . .negative nutritional value!

I'm so sorry that you are suffering so! Let me see if I can find information on bone broth. . .


Mercy1
LTHR 5May14
 
Nice to hear from you again Brian but not under these circumstances. Have you read all the literature here regarding recovery? I guess you would have? I have previously had success with Bowen massage it but it may be worth a go for you. Apart from that and what @Mercy1 said I don't have a lot of suggestions sorry but I do hope it improves for you.
 
Welcome back @medic4355 ! Sorry you are still having pain. Unfortunately for some of us this recovery is long. With all you went through I am not surprised you are still having pain.

I was still on pain meds at 6 months. And my recovery was measured in years, not weeks.

What therapy are doing doing? Is it making things worse? Let's tag @Josephine and see if she has any input. She's been away from the forum for a few days but should be back very soon.
 
Yes welcome back @medic4355 - I can relate to Jaycey's comments. Some of us find our recovery takes longer. You had a lot of previous trauma to recover from. Have a read of these articles..

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and approximate timeframes for the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery
 
@Mercy1 I have seriously considered acupuncture but we have only recently seen the arrival of a licensed acupuncturist in my town. Obviously it is not covered by insurance and the initial visit is $245 for new patient info and 1st visit. After that it is only $45 a visit. I have a little experience with it as I have lived well over 5 years in many parts of Asia. I started it in Singapore after I hurt my back working for an oil company. You give me reason to reconsider and think about biting the bullet and going for the initial visit.


@fulafoto I have a question. What is a Bowen massage?

@Jaycey & Poppet your information is a great help as always.
 
@medic4355, I have never had acupuncture, myself. . .I have heard from many people that it "helps". You, actually, would know more about it, having worked in Singapore, than I do! I should have qualified my suggestion with ALL sorts of warnings, including the emphasis on sterilization of equipment ! More than ANYTHING, we need to be INFORMED consumers when it comes to our health!

My husband is a doctor who has never stopped studying! We MUST CONTINUE to LEARN. . .we BUILD knowledge, we never "arrive". . .we keep our minds open to what is possible, not always what is probable. We never forget that God is the Divine Creator of ALL things and that our wisest thoughts are foolishness to Him! We are thankful, above all else, that He revealed Himself through Jesus Christ!❤️

I will be praying for you, my friend, as I hope you pray for me! I hope you will continue to keep me updated on your recovery!






Mercy1
LTHR 5May14
 
I have had acupuncture and did find it helpful for pain relief. I have chronic back pain and my osteopath would do his manipulation and then acupuncture. It was so relaxing! So sorry it is so expensive in your area!
 
@Mercy1 I definitely understand checking someone out and making sure about the environment before I subject myself to anyone. There is actually a certification process for becoming a acupuncturist. There are tons of folks in Asia & the US practicing it without the proper credentialing process and that is why I have not had it done here yet. This guy just opened an office here about 6 months ago.
 
So sorry to hear you are still in pain. But with your history, I'm really not surprised that your recovery is going to take longer than the "average." I think Jo is going to be the best person to advise you and I know she will be along here soon. Please do continue to let us know how you're doing, though. I know it must be VERY frustrating to have things take so long.
 
Hi Brian, in answer to your question Bowen is a type of gentle massage that works on restoring the muscle memory of your muscles so they, for want of a better term, go back in place as they should be. From Wikipedia:
"Each session typically involves gentle rolling motions along the muscles, tendons, and fascia.[10] The therapy's distinctive features are the minimal nature of the physical intervention and pauses incorporated in the treatment. Proponents claim these pauses allow the body to "reset" itself."

I have previously tried it and found great relief from it and the pauses in the treatment work so well. For instance with my hip problems I always had them treated; this involved gentle movement around the lower butt cheeks and the upper back of the thighs. The therapist would then leave the room for a period of approximately 5 minutes with the idea that you concentrate on the particular part of the body that has been treated. I use to find I had a severe burning sensation behind my knees as if someone had rubbed a hot sports rub along the creases of my knees. The sensation would ease after a few minutes but it was a weird feeling. There were many other of these sensations that I felt as well with different parts of the body being treated.

After treatment you feel washed out and generally blahhhhhhhhh for a couple of hours. You are to drink lots of water and not sit for a continual period of more than 30 minutes for the rest of the day if possible. The greatest benefit I found was usually the day after a treatment and I usually felt on top of the world.
 
@fulafoto My therapist does something try similar to that but he calls it Myofasia massage. He did however hire a new therapist last week that asked me about that very thing now that I sit here and think about it. It has a lot of the same restrictions with the water and stay moving. I know from experience if you don't rehydrate it will leave you extremely sore and sometimes even swollen.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom