Guest viewing is limited

THR Resurfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.
With that said I am dealing with a little discouragement because I would like to be off the meds. I am taking Loratab7.5/350 and I also have Tramadol available but it rarely can cover the pain. I am also still in therapy.
I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now?

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)
 
@fulafoto My therapist does something try similar to that but he calls it Myofasia massage. He did however hire a new therapist last week that asked me about that very thing now that I sit here and think about it. It has a lot of the same restrictions with the water and stay moving. I know from experience if you don't rehydrate it will leave you extremely sore and sometimes even swollen.
It maybe worth trying Brian, mind you not everyone gets the same benefit from it. My eldest Daughter, who is very athletic, was suffering shoulder pain due to dragon-boating and tried it but got no relief at all. Let us know what you decide.
 
Hi, @medic4355 ... good to see you again, tho very sorry about the pain. But like Josephine said, you had a lot gong on beforehand, much more than many of us. I hope Jo has some answers for you once you have answered her questions. I also hope you find a good acupuncturist in your area. Hang in there and know we are all pulling for you. Thanks for your support with my journey, too.
 
@Josephine
Ok My pain level on abnormal day is about a 5-6 without any agitation. sSometimes post therapy or other physical activities it can get up around a 8 or so.

I am taking Loratab7.5/350. I usually take 2 around 4 o'clock and then 2 more around bed time. I rarely take it in the morning.

I rarely ice my hip accept after therapy and then it is usually for 30 minutes. I keep my leg elevated when I am home as much as possible. Usually in 2 -3 hour intervals sometimes less but I a pretty active person.

While I am on disability I also volunteer as a local youth pastor so I have a very active life. I stay on my feet usually 2-4 days out of the week working at the church and travelling around town to help people.

Now on activities I do therapy 3 days a week and then some one day at home. I have a 1 hour routine. I start off on what they call a new step bicycle which is actually not a bicycle at all more like a recumbent stair climber. I do that for 10 minutes. Then I move into standing exercises. I start in a standing position with a 2lb weight kicking my leg out parallel to my body 15 times for 3 reps. I mix my reps with the next exercise which is while standing with the weight I kick my leg behind me 15 times x 3 reps. Next I do heal raises where I literally go from flat footed to standing on my tip toes. I usually leave the weight on for that one two. It also is 15 times x 3 reps. After that I use a big ball behind my back and lean against the wall and do squats. I do 10 times x 3 reps. I do this exercise for my right ankle which is partially fused. Next I start my exercises laying down. I keep the 2lb weight on for my first few exercises. I start with straight leg raises on my right leg only. I do 15 times x 3 reps. Next I use a small 6-9" round pad under my right leg and pivoting at my leg I do 15 times x 3 reps. After that I take the weight off and lay on my left side and lift my right leg 3 times x 3 reps. Next I lay flat on my stomach with my feet barely hanging off the bed and lift my entire right leg backwards 3 times x 3 reps. This is the same exercise that I do standing but now gravity is against me. After that I do 3 hamstring stretches with a strap pulling my leg in a straight position in the air towards my body. I hold it there for 2 minute intervals. Finally I close laying flat of my back with my knees at about a 90 degree angle with feet flat on the bed and lift the center of my body towards the ceiling as another form of hamstring reps. When I lift I hold it for 4 seconds and then come back to the bed. I do that 3 times x 3 reps. After all this at least once a week and most of the time 2 times a week we do about a 20-30 minute session of Myofascial massage and then ice it for 15 minutes.
 
It was a particularly rough weekend and apparently I overbooked my life this week. I still deal with a lot of short term memory loss from the Traumatic Brain Injury from the skull fracture I have in my life. After this weekend I have decided to take a 6 month leave of absence from school to rest my body and try and let it build it's strength back up. Thanks everyone for all the input and positive comments. When dealing with situations like this it is easy to be discouraged. I am not pushing my faith on anyone but in my life I have to fall back on Jesus and ask for a peace that passes all understanding for I truly am in a station that passes all understanding. The help that all of you offer helps me to stay positive. Thanks again.
 
My pain level on abnormal day is about a 5-6 without any agitation. Sometimes post therapy or other physical activities it can get up around a 8 or so.
That's high. And by my calculations you are about 5½ months out, correct?
I am taking Loratab7.5/350. I usually take 2 around 4 o'clock and then 2 more around bed time. I rarely take it in the morning.
Okay.
I rarely ice my hip accept after therapy and then it is usually for 30 minutes. I keep my leg elevated when I am home as much as possible. Usually in 2 -3 hour intervals sometimes less but I a pretty active person.
You don't accomplish much in 30 mins. If you are having pain, you need to ice a lot longer than that, an hour at least. So basically any time you are resting, watching TV or reading, you should ice. It's nature's natural pain killer.
While I am on disability I also volunteer as a local youth pastor so I have a very active life. I stay on my feet usually 2-4 days out of the week working at the church and travelling around town to help people.
Okay - gotcha!

As for your PT: My first observation is why on earth are you still doing PT at almost 6 months out? You should be forgetting all about that now and getting back to normal life. It's outrageous that your PTs are still keeping you in this routine. I would suggest that this and only this is what is responsible for your pain and especially the ones in bold.

therapy 3 days a week and then some one day at home. I have a 1 hour routine.
recumbent stair climber for 10 minutes
in a standing position with a 2lb weight, kick my leg out 15 reps x 3
standing with weight I kick my leg behind me 15 reps x 3
heel raises with weight 15 reps x 3
big ball behind my back and lean against the wall and do squats 10 reps x 3
laying down, 2lb weight, straight leg raises on my right leg only 15 reps x 3
small 6-9" round pad under my right leg and pivoting at my leg 15 reps x 3
lay on my left side and lift my right leg 3 reps x 3
face down lift my entire right leg backwards 3 reps x 3
hamstring stretches with a strap hold it 2 minutes x 3
laying flat with knees at 90 degree angle, feet flat on the bed and lift center of my body towards the ceiling hold for 4 seconds 3 reps x 3
all this at least once a week and most of the time 2 times a week we do about a 20-30 minute session of Myofascial massage and then ice it for 15 minutes

Do you realise that you are doing 285 exercise movements in that one hour? That's almost Olympic training standard!

And how much of this are you doing at home? You never told me that which is a crucial bit of information - how many times a day and which exercises. Do you ever take a day off? Do you do this even when you are out during the day doing your pastoral work?

If I assume you are also doing your own shopping and housework, yard work and such, then you are back to normal life and really don't need to do all this stuff. You never needed it in the beginning because hips actually don't need much exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.


I also forgot to ask you this
Can you tell me the exact site of your pain (or pains) using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Resurfacing


[Bonesmart.org] Resurfacing
 
@Josephine I am a little in a rush right now so I will later respond to more of your questions as I value your opinion and input. What I wanted to say was strangely enough when I called my therapist and told her that I was considering terminating my therapy she informed me that she was about to tell me the same as there were only two more treatments on my prescription. I went back and let them do their measurements and now I am free thank God. As far as the pain meds go maybe not having therapy will allow that to decrease a little. Still I have a considerable health history with multiple broken bones. My hip replacement was not due to hereditary decay or any other disease but was necessary because of trauma. I have an appointment with a Dr next week to see if a lift will allow my legs to be even or if I will need a heal build up on my shoes. I anticipate that will help a good bit. Still my original accident I broke over 20 bones so the pain meds are for more than my hip but I would still love to get off of all of them. Anyway thanks for all your help so far and know you are a blessing to so many.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Josephine I would love to be off of pain meds all together but my original accident resulted on over 20 broken bones. I have since been diagnosed with moderate to severe arthritis. A good day for me can be from a 4-6 and every once in a blue moon I have obtained a 2-4 but they are few and far between. Generally I operate at a 6+ so I really don't know what the answer is to that. My doctors tell me my 6 is probably everyone else's 9 because of all I have been through but that is pure speculation. Anyway they have moved my october (nine month) checkup to late July. Keep in mind we are 5 hours apart but it is worth every minute of the drive to have a good ortho. He was the first out of about 14 that didn't balk on the idea of even doing the surgery and I am grateful.
 
@medic4355 I am so sorry for the continued pain that you experience. It is hard to imagine 20 broken bones and the healing that had to take place and is even now continuing with your hip. I will circle your pain in prayer asking for God's healing in your body.

I wonder, have you ever looked at the Paleo or Primal diet? So many foods cause inflammation. Good places to read would be Mark's Daily Apple or Chris Kesser. I take curcumin which comes from Tumeric. It is a natural anti-inflammatory but if I eat certain foods I feel it later on...which lately has been too often.

I read an article about the OS that you are using back when I was shopping for a dr. In my case I didn't contact his office because Plano is an hour north of us. Glad you found him in your case and that makes the drive worth it.
 
So sorry to read your update, @medic4355 and I am so glad you got your appointment moved up to July. Hang in there. You have had so many surgeries, it's hard to fathom what you have been through. But you are always so kind when you are here. Please keep us posted on what's going on. I hope you can get well deserved relief.
 
Thanks so much for your encouragement @Peaches Truth is we went ahead back to Dallas yesterday and we are on our way home now. @Josephine I have now officially had my lifts made for my leg that was 3/4" shorter than the other. He also told me according to my X-rays of my lower back I really shouldn't be walking without living on Phyntinil (I am sure I misspelled that) Patches but I refuse to take them. He always continually reminds me of just how bad my surgery was and how much more I still need surgery on. Here is the crazy thing he thinks I still need to be doing Therapy and would like me to start back. I told him I would continue therapy but only twice a week and he had to cut it's intensity way down. Obviously at times my recovery is way far from normal according to most but I still greatly appreciate everyones help here.
 
Finally one last question. I have had several people on here tell me I need to start a thread on here for more support. I thought that is what this is unless they are talking about something different? Any suggestions.
 
This is your recovery thread as far as I am concerned. Perhaps it was because it didn't have a THR tab which I have now corrected.
 
Thanks @Josephine I didn't realize that you were a nurse much less an ortho nurse. I got a call the other night from one of my old professors wanting me to start back to school for my PA. I was a Paramedic for 19 years and less than 6 months away from my RN but I had been accepted into the PA program at LSU-S before I went over seas. I still love the idea but I don't know that I can handle being on my feet that much. I am probably one of a proud percentage of health care workers who did it because I REALLY REALLY enjoy taking care of my patients.
 
I didn't realize that you were a nurse much less an ortho nurse.
You never read signatures? :heehee:
I am probably one of a proud percentage of health care workers who did it because I REALLY REALLY enjoy taking care of my patients.
Yeah, me too! When you can look back on your day and say to yourself "I made a difference there" there's no job satisfaction quite like it, is there? :yes!:
 
Well after taking the time off of school I talked back with my doctor who wants me to continue therapy. YUCK!!!! HE agreed they were doing entirely to much therapy but still thinks smaller amounts only twice a week instead of the three/four day a week plan is better. I decided to challenge myself this week and make a journey. I had a goal to be able to go to Africa on a missions trip this year but I just was not sure that I was that healed up yet. So instead this last week I went to youth camp with 300 teenagers. I did the filming and editing for the camp. Thankfully I had two guys who did all of my action filming and I was tasked with the service filming. After 4 days there I discovered that Africa in September was completely out!!!! I am so sore just from doing what I did this weekend. I know we need to know our limitations but as a man I have always pushed the bounds. Not nearly as hard as I did before I had my accident. Call me crazy but I still believe that I will one day make the Africa missions trip. I have been released to work upper body only at the gym and tonight I have an appointment with my trainer. I know not to over do it but I am determined to be able to go the places I feel God calls me to. Thanks so much for all your prayers and support everyone. I truly believe that this website is making a huge difference in the world of hip and knee replacement patients.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Josephine I thank you for what you do for us and the medical field. I have a love for two fields. I actually have one class to complete to be accepted to Physicians Assistant school. I know the director of the program because I delivered his son 5 years ago on the side of the road at a car accident. Still I have a bachelors in theology and I love to help people who are really hurting. My heart breaks for the youth of America and what they face. I guess either way I am still helping people.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom