Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Resurfacing problem I have had

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosh @North East Man Norman, so sorry this is such a slow process for you. Please do keep us updated!
 
@Josephine.
Thank you Josephine, Alex, Poppet, Jacey and other regulars that have followed this thread. I will certainly update you all on my progress which may be worthwhile information for others having similar problems. I forgot to mention that there is always a chance it may dislocate again so I am going to be very careful for the next 12 months. Best of luck to Josephine when she has her op later this week. Sorry I cant get around well enough to visit you. NORMAN
 
Hi Norman, Happy or maybe Hippy ! New Year:) I'm glad to hear you have what Josephine said confirmed. The body is amazing and you WILL heal. Glad you are being careful. Keep us posted. With very best wishes, Gill

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
Hey northeast man. I can certainly relate. My resurfaced hip dislocated after 3 years of non stop office visits to my surgeon, complaining of clicking getting stuck etc. he kept saying nothing wrong ---oops guess he didn't think a pseudo tumor or metal running thru books steam was no bug deal. Sued him ( lost on technicality, ) but got some satisfaction of 2 weeks in a courtroom, none the less had a revision with the best surgeon in the world. He also did my knee replacement 1 year ago
Good luck. Hope you get everything resolved. ~ susanne


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Josephine.
I hope you are well after your knee operation Josephine.

Also Hello again to all the lovely people who have followed this thread .
It is just over 5 weeks since my dislocated hip was put back in place and I am still getting a lot of pain . It frightens me in case it is will dislocate again because it slipped out so easily when it dislocated.
I'm not improving like I should because normally I heal very quickly.
Googling THR Dislocations I found that it is classed as an orthopaedic emergency and it should have been put back as soon as possible in case it did internal damage to the Sciatic nerve/tissues/muscle.
As my hip was dislocated for over 17hrs it looks like it has done some damage inside as I've had pain elsewhere including the knee area. Walking is a problem and I need both crutches to get around .
If the Sciatic nerve has had a bit damage done to it, will it repair itself eventually. I'm sure Josephine will have seen cases like this one. As usual I will keep you all updated . NORMAN
 
Googling THR Dislocations I found that it is classed as an orthopaedic emergency and it should have been put back as soon as possible in case it did internal damage to the Sciatic nerve/tissues/muscle. As my hip was dislocated for over 17hrs it looks like it has done some damage inside as I've had pain elsewhere including the knee area.
Doing it within 24hrs IS classed as emergency treatment. What you googled was referring to not leaving it a week or two or even longer. Do you have a review appointment with Mr Nanu sometime? If not, I suggest you either ring his secretary to arrange one or get your GP to.

Failing that, you could write to him at the hospital and explain your concerns.
 
@Josephine
Hi Josephine, I hope you are well after your knee operation.
Thank you for your (as usual) invaluable advice .
I actually spoke to Mr Nanu's Secretary a few days ago and told her my concerns. She told me her boss is on holiday for two weeks. She was reluctant to make an appointment so I said I'd persevere for another week or two and if there is no improvement I will ring again. I am worse now than I was before the operation and I struggle to walk due to pains which feel like muscle or nerve pain around the hip. I realise that after the dislocation there will be some damage to nerves/ muscle but I didn't want in a few months time to find another op is required. If I was improving then it wouldn't be so bad as it's nearly 6 weeks since the dislocation . Thanks again, Norman
 
Well as I said before, Norman, it depends how much of a struggle it was for them to put the hip back in place. I've helped with some that were a real struggle and took an hour or two. You can't come out of that without some internal bruising and pain.

Are you taking pain meds? Resting lots?
 
@Josephine
Hi Josephine, thanks again for explaining difficulties sometime experienced when putting the hip back in place. Maybe mine was difficult as well? . Now I know why I am taking a long time to heal.
I will certainly keep you all updated and hope my thread has been helpful to others,
best wishes, Norman
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you're big chap and big chaps typically have big muscles! When you consider that one leg is approximately one third of your body weight, just picking it up is a struggle but then one has to pull on it and rotate it at the same time as well. I know this because I spent many 'happy' hours in theatre doing just that to hold fractures in position while the surgeon put in screws and plates! For some years around that time, I had biceps like Arnold Schwarzenegger!
 
:thankyou:@Josephine
Hi Josephine and all the regulars who have followed my thread which goes back a couple of years now.
It's nearly 8 weeks since my revised hip dislocated. How time flies! At the end of the 6th week I felt an improvement and I think it was because I had just resumed taking my Arthrotec medication. I'd stopped them and was hoping I no longer needed them after getting the hip replaced. At the same time I got a phone call to tell me that I have an appointment to see a colleague of Mr Nanu on the 4th Feb. He did a couple of checks and looked at the scar and told me that my hip can dislocate again so I have to be very careful (which I knew already). I'll be seen again in 3 months time. I now feel I'm improving slightly each day and can stagger around the house without crutches but am still a long way from being back to normal. I still have pain in the hip and feel that something is damaged in the hip area (Muscle/tendon/nerve) but I am comforted by what Josephine wrote for me in the posts above. Thanks again to Josephine for all the valuable information. I will update this thread as usual and hope it helps others with their troubles. Regards, NORMAN
 
@Josephine
Wow you are such a mine of information I never thought about the actual weight of the leg in surgery and in use afterwards. It is all quite intriging!
Karen
 
@Josephine
Hello Josephine and everyone else who has been following this thread. To remind you I had the operation in November and 3 weeks later the Hip suddenly dislocated as I sat on the sofa which had been heightened with extra cushions which probably caused it. The hip wasn't put back until next day 17-18hrs later which is 15 weeks ago. After all this time I still need a crutch otherwise I stagger like a drunken man. Whatever happened inside me during the hours that the hip was dislocated has seriously affected my recovery. I still get pain in the hip and it has affected walking. I wrote to the Surgeon about 4 weeks ago and will hopefully see him 4th April.
I am unlucky because I felt marvellous for the 3 weeks post THR and was recovering quickly. I'm a quick healer normally eg I had the other hip replaced in May 2014 and was careful gardening after about 8 weeks.
As usual I will update this thread once I learn more or improve more.
Thank Josephine and you other contributors.
Norman
 
Good to hear from you, Norman. Hope Mr Nanu will have some answers for you.
 
Hi Norman, I have been wondering how you are getting on. I'm glad you are seeing Mr Nanu again soon. Have you noticed any progress walking etc since you posted in Feb?
Very best wishes
Gill

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
@Josephine
Hi Josephine, and all you other interested regulars who've followed this thread.
Yesterday I had a consultation with Mr Nanu . He showed my wife & I the X-rays of the dislocated hip & also the one showing it back in place. He said the hip is back in place and properly seated. He had a good feel around my hip asking if it hurt and it didn't. He said that a THR dislocation can take a year to mend. He will see me in 6 months and in the meantime I need to do some walking and have some physio to build up my gluteal muscles . This is why I sway as I walk. Like Josephine said the pain I get in the hip must be damaged tissue/muscle.
Thanks again for all the genuine concern from you regular visitors.
Norman
 
Norman,
I have just read through your thread, and I am in pain for you as I read all you've been through. Thank heavens for Josephine and her, as always, sage advice. I can't imagine what we'd do without her.
Anyway, I am glad to hear that you are mending, albeit slowly You have been through the wringer, that's for certain. I'm preparing for my second hip replacement (the first was in December), and I am always in fear of something going awry.
I will continue to follow, and all you've been through makes me even more thankful that Bonesmart is here for us.
Lynn
 
so glad to hear it, Norman. Now tell your wife to put those cushions away!
 
Thanks Josepine. I will do as you say haha.
Thank you for your kind words Lynn. I hope your second operation goes well.
Yes you are right about Josephine, she's a star & gives real medical advice after a career in Nursing.
Best wishes & I will keep you all informed of my progress.
 
@Josephine.
Hi Josephine & all those who have taken great interest in my problem hip. All the best to you all for 2016.
I hope Josephine's knee is well.

To remind you all I had the 2009 fitted malaligned resurfaced hip replaced with a THR by Mr Nanu in November 2014. Then early December 2015 the hip dislocated. It was refitted 17/18 hours later & was a difficult reduction. Consequently I was told it will take a long time to heal.
Well it is just over a year since the hip was put back in place (reduction) & for all that time I have had pain, twinges along with a bad back (lumbar region). I knew it was referred pain & I convinced Mr Nanu's colleague who I saw two months ago that the hip was causing my back pain. Then I was told I'd be seen by the Orthopaedic Team in 8 weeks. In the meantime he arranged for the hip to be injected with a steroid/painkiller & the back pain was gone immediately. To test it I left the Hospital with my wife & went straight to a local shopping complex (Dalton Park) and I walked around without any pain in the back. I have an appointment to see Mr Nanu or colleague on the 10th January (A Sunday) & am really looking forward to discussing what happens next. MRI & Cat Scans don't seem to show impingement because of all the metal & ceramic. I'm hoping they can do keyhole & take a look inside.
Best wishes,
NORMAN
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom