Revision THR Resurfacing problem I have had

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Norman - you are blighted, aren't you? Do let me know what Nanu says.
I do hope it's treatable so you can have a good new year.
 
Hi Norman, I really hope that mr Nanu can help and that the injection keeps your pain away for a long time. All the best for a pain free 2016

Gill



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Josephine,
Hello again Josephine & the other interested visitors to this Forum. Sorry for the delay in passing on further information. After my hip was injected , my constant back ache disappeared proving it is referred pain from the hip. About 6 weeks ago I went for my appointment hoping to see my Surgeon Mr Nanu, but it was one of his Orthopaedic team instead. I told him that if the Scans I've had don't show up the problem inside the Hip (because they have to reduce the power because of the metal implant) then I would like keyhole investigative surgery to hopefully see what is impinging and giving me back ache. I've always said it is the Psoas Muscle which supports your posture because I sway like a drunk when walking. The Consultant said that he'd look into it for me. On my way out of the Dept Mr Nanu (My Hero) bumped into me & patted me on the shoulder & asked how I was. I told him that since the hip dislocated I've had a lot of pain in the hip & the back. He then said they'd seen something on the Scan so they are going to have be back in.
Two weeks later I received an appointment for tomorrow 17th Feb to see Mr G Dekiewiet so I'm excited about this. I'm hoping they can sort out the problem as it would be lovely not to have constant back ache when I'm walking around. I don't get the back ache sitting or lying , just when I'm up & about. Will I be right about it being the Psoas? If so I blamed that in 2009 not long after the Hip was resurfaced at Gateshead's QE Hospital & they said it is my back. I'll let you know the result of my appointment soon.
NORMAN
 
Hi Norman - glad you stopped by. I've been wondering how you were doing. What a blessing you bumped into Mt Nanu! He really is a sweetheart, isn't he?

As for you problem, I've been getting some education about gait analysis. Amazingly this is often more responsible for such problems than we realise. See here Free Gait Analysis at Nuffield Health Exeter on Saturday morning 6th Feb 2016. Sadly this event is long since over but I know Steve will be up this way in a few weeks and is going to meet up with me to test my gait. Perhaps when he comes it would be a good idea if I get you along too. What do you think?
 
@Josephine,
Hello again Josephine & Jacey,
Thanks for your replies.
I went on Wed to see Mr G Dekiewiet but instead his assistant came & did all the various tests on my leg/hip & questioned me where the pain is in my lumbar region. I told him when I press on my spine I cant feel any pain in the lumbar region because it's referred pain from the hip. I asked what Mr Nanu had seen on the Scan & he didn't know. He said it wasn't in the notes so I asked him to try & find out. He went away & discussed his findings with Mr Dekiewiet . When he returned he said we are going to book me in for an Ultra Sound guided injection into the Psoas . I was delighted about that. Later that day I rang Radiology & was told it may be a 12 week waiting list. To cut a long story short a lovely lady in Radiology saw Mr English today (19th Feb) and told him my problem & because I'm in a lot of pain he'll inject me next Friday morning. Great news & I'm looking forward to it. If you remember (or just read my very first post on Page 1) I've always thought it could be the Psoas. Thanks for the offer of having my gait checked Josephine but I'm going to decline the offer. I'll let you all know if my bad back gets cured when the Psoas is injected.
NORMAN
 
That's okay. I'm very pleased with your outcome thus far.

And the Gait Analysis chap probably won't be up this neck of the woods until June! :wink:
 
@Josephine.
Sorry for the delay updating you all. I have had the Psoas injection & the constant back ache I've had whilst upright & walking around disappeared within mins. I now have an appointment with Orthopaedic Consultant Mr G Dekiewiet in early April. Even though the injection fixed my back I still have a bit pain in the hip so there must still be some impinging but I can live with that. Fixing my back ache would be brilliant. As usual I will report back once I see the Consultant. Hopefully my little problems being solved will help visitors to Bone smart.
NORMAN
 
Absolutely, Normal, and thank you for the update. I am truly delighted things are improving for you.
 
@Josephine
Good morning Josephine, Jaycey and all the others who have followed my Posts.
I was at Hospital yesterday to see Orthopaedic Consultant Mr G Dekiewiet & he asked how the Psoas injection had went. I told him it cured my back ache & his reply was that he thinks he knows the problem. There is impinging so he will need to do a Psoas release operation which lengthens the tendon enough to cure the problem. I asked if he could do it asap because this aching back is ruining my life. He said he would, so I'm hoping it wont be long before I hear when. I promise to keep you all informed. Thank you all for your interest especially Josephine who visited me that time . NORMAN
 
Oh well, Dekiewiet is the man okay! Glad to hear he's on the ball, Norman!
 
@Josephine
Hi Josephine & the other interested visitors to Bonesmart.
I have an appointment for day surgery on May 24th but I first have to get checked out on the 17th to make sure I'm fit enough for the operation.
I'm really looking forward to the operation & hopefully I will be able to walk around without back ache..
As usual I will keep you all informed.
Thanks to everyone who has followed my thread.
NORMAN
 
@Josephine,
Good morning Josephine, Jaycey,Miaow27 & all the other lovely people who've taken an interest in the problems I've had since my Hip Resurfacing operation in 2009.
IT is good news for me at last as I had my Psoas Release operation at Sunderland Royal two days ago & no longer have that constant lumbar ache . The only discomfort is from where they cut me & as I'm used to far worse pain I'm not taking any over the counter pain killers. I'm over the moon that I'll be able to walk around without that constant ache in my lumbar region. There is not much information available about how Psoas impinging can cause lumbar pain so hopefully future visitors to this site can learn a bit from my experiences. All the very best to you all & thank you all for taking an interest in my case.
NORMAN
 
Norman, how lovely to hear from you! I am so pleased to know that you finally have resolution for that annoying problem.
There is not much information available about how Psoas impinging can cause lumbar pain
Oh that's easy to explain! Just look at the muscle and where it goes to - right up to the lumbar spine!

[Bonesmart.org] Resurfacing problem I have had
 
@North East Man such good news on your op! Well done for your persistence! Fingers crossed this has done the trick!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom