Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Resurfacing problem I have had

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Josephine
I only know that I have to phone the Surgical Day Case Unit on Monday between 4-40 & 6pm ish to find out more. You've helped me enough so don't worry if you can't make visiting . Roll on Tuesday. Norman
 
@Josephine.
Dear Josephine & all you real nice people who have followed this thread & gave me their support.
It is now 8 days since I had my revision surgery. The badly fitted 2009 implant was removed & replaced with a THR by a top class Surgeon called Mr Nanu at Sunderland Royal Hospital who was recommended to me by Josephine to whom I'm eternally grateful.
No longer do I get those terrible pains caused by the old implant just little niggles from the healing process.

Since 2009 when that Hip Resurfacing Implant was fitted I have had constant lumbar spine pains whenever I am upright & walking around. It never entered my head that it could have been pain from the implant because I knew that I was susceptible to the odd bad back if I lifted something awkwardly (It always repaired itself naturally). I just thought with getting older the back was deteriorating.
Today I have no lumbar pain whatsoever & I'm just on paracetamols so it isn't the painkillers taking the lumbar pain away. For instance I went from lunchtime yesterday to 10pm without taking any pain killer. Today at 2-30pm I've had none as I'm healing so rapidly & not in pain.
Further proof that I am correct about this is that in mid July I had a Lumbar Facet Joint Injection' which was guided by X-rays. It didn't work & I was really disappointed. The Neuro Surgeon said he'd done it in the right place but could try another time with multi injections if I wished.
I now know they wouldn't have worked because the pain was referred pain from the implant.

I will post a progress report at some point in the near future & thank you all once again. I hope my problems will help others. Who'd have thought a bad back was hip pain?
NORMAN
PS THANKS to Josephine, a busy lady, yet she found time to visit me the day after my operation. Much appreciated.
 
What a wonderful update! I'm glad to know that you are already seeing such an immediate improvement after THR. Things are only going to get better from here, as you continue to recover.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Hey Norman! Good to see you back on line! I still can't get over how bright and sparky you were in hospital!
Honestly, folks, he looked like he was still waiting to go down to theatre!

And when you get to see the man himself at your review, please do ask him what he found was wrong with your resurfacing. I'm busting to know!

Perhaps you'll be able to repay the visit when I have my knee done, Norman!
 
@Josephine.
Hi Josephine & all the folk who have followed this thread about my hip problems.
The BAD NEWS is that last Tuesday 9th Dec I was sitting on our Sofa which my wife had built up a bit higher with cushions & I felt my new hip slip out . The pain was possibly the worst I've ever experienced . I shouted for my wife to phone 999 as I knew the hip had dislocated. I ended up lying on my side on a tiled floor for nearly 4 hrs waiting for an Ambulance. The Morphine they gave me when they arrived didn't work very well & only took part of the pain away. At Hospital I was in a corridor for nearly 3 hrs awaiting a Bed. I then spent the night in pain until 9 am next morning when I was told I was first on the List because I was in so much pain. Afterwards back on the Ward I had no pain & felt great. A young Orthopaedic Doctor visited to ask how I was & I told her how the pain killers hadn't really worked. She said 'They wouldn't as the only way to relieve that pain is to put the hip back in place'. I also found that the Surgeon had put the hip back without cutting me which was good news. Since then (10 days ago) I've had to take painkillers regularly as it seems to be taking a while to get back to where it was before the dislocation. Before it dislocated my hip had felt really good & I only took the odd paracetamol at bedtime. Today I feel as though it's healing well as I probably had some internal damage. I'm sure Josephine will be able to tell me more. Even though I was careful previously after Hip operations I'm being ultra careful now.
NORMAN
 
Oh Norman, I am so sorry this has happened. You did everything correctly and so did the surgeons. Now you need to see Mr Nanu and get his input. He needs to examine your xrays very carefully to see why this happened.

Had you been doing any exercises?
 
I am also sorry to read this Norman - I hope Mr Nanu can provide insight into this dislocation :)

Sending best wishes from Australia x
 
@Josephine.
Thanks for your post Josephine and also Poppet in Oz. I have an appointment to see the Trauma team on the 5th Jan & hopefully Mr Nanu will be there. Mr Irwin was the consultant that put the hip back in place & he told me that it was well/deeply seated and it was basically bad luck it had happened. As usual I'll keep all you good people informed.
I still feel that the hip is healing slower than it was after the hip operation 3 weeks earlier .All the best for Xmas & New Year to all the people who've followed this thread, NORMAN
 
Festive greetings to you and your family Norman. :)
 
a@Josephine . Hi Josephine, I'd like a bit advice without it being on the Forum. The reason is that Bonesmart ask for only one post on recovery posts so I didn't want to put my latest update on the board. How can I contact you? I've forgotten how. Norman :loll:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'll pm you - watch for the red '1' in the top right hand corner of the screen
 
@North East Man. Sorry to hear of your incident. That happened to me in 2010. Had to get a complete redo. The pain is indescribable. I also had a pseudo tumor, metal running thru bloodstream and complained yo my first surgeon for 3 years. He kept saying everything is fine, textbook case but I dislocated at work. It was sheer torture. Since I was at work they calked an ambulance went to hospital, they gave a me a shot of something and when the attending orthopedist came in withnhervetudent, she had to swing leg 3 times and it popped right back in. Not the end of story....I sued him ( but lost case,but had satisfaction of seeing him sit there for 2 weeks losing all his medical and surgical appts)
I had a total hip revision by my surgeon who also did my Trkr in January
Here's hoping you're feeling better soon. Susanne


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Susanne, I think Norman's situation is quite different from yours but thanks for the input and good wishes.

Bonesmart ask for only one post on recovery posts so I didn't want to put my latest update on the board
@North East Man No, no! Not one POST, just one thread! Post as many times as you want anywhere!
 
THANKS for your kind words Susanne & all the other visitors to this thread eg Poppet, Alex etc etc. I will let you all know how things are going in the New Year. I got such a fright I'm being ultra cautious now as I would hate to have another dislocation. I'm normally a quick healer so fingers crossed. I wish you all Good Health .
 
Hi Norman, that is rotten luck re your dislocation. It must be hard having to wait til Jan 5 to try and find out why. It sounds like Mr Nanu is one of the good guys and will sort you out soon.
I hope Christmas is a good distraction for you and you he a good time with your family.
Very best wishes and merry Christmas,
Gill

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
@miaow27. Hi Gill, Thank you for your Post regarding my hip dislocation . Mr Irwin the Consultant who was on duty at the time & who put the hip back in place told me that it had been well/deeply seated and it was basically bad luck it had happened. It is now two weeks since it was put back & I was a bit concerned that the Hip was not back to the stage it was before the dislocation so I contacted Josephine. I normally heal very quickly. Josephine assured me it is normal to take a bit longer to heal. Here below is what she wrote. What marvellous help she is to us on this Forum.
Having a dislocated hip is a painful affair and causes general muscular aches and pains which can last for quite a while. In addition to this, the efforts of the team pulling on your leg to get it back in place will worsen these pains. I'd be most surprised if your sensation of something being wrong was more than this. It's also normal to need pain killers for a few weeks after. In short, your body took a bit of a battering and so there is likely to be consequences. But you can wait to see Mr Nanu quite safely.

Best wishes to you & your family for Xmas & New Year & everyone else reading this Thread.
NORMAN
 
@Josephine
Hello to Josephine and everyone else who's taken an interest in my hip pain problems. Happy healthy New Year to you all. Today I saw my surgeon's colleague and he told me basically what Josephine told me recently.

My interpretation of his explanation was as follows. When they did the revision surgery the surgeon had to cut through muscle/tissue to gain access to enable him to do the THR. He then has to repair the muscle and tissue by neatly sewing everything back in place .

Then three weeks later when my hip dislocated for 17 hours it basically undid that nice repair work as well as possibly damaging other tissue. This is why my healing process is so very slow and I still need painkillers. It is 4 weeks since it dislocated and very little improvement since (but it will get there).

I will update this thread once I feel a lot better and don't need painkiller. (I take Tramadol and paracetamol)

Thanks everyone,
NORMAN
 
Jolly good, Norman. Remember the song "Nice and easy does it every time"!
Guess you won't be visiting me on Thursday then? :heehee:
 
Thanks for the update, Norman. It's good to know you're moving in the right direction, even though it may be slower than you'd like.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Great to hear from you Norman - update when you feel up to it :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom