Guest viewing is limited

THR Released- from the "Joint"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya know...it seems so ironic that it appears that all of us on here seem to be pretty active, but we all have to have new hips....what are we doing wrong?? Probably just having too much fun!!


@Plumberbutt , wish I could say it was bc I had been having too much fun :rotfl:... glad your cold is on the mend!
 
Well, I'm up late, mourning the loss of my Wildcats, but proud of their tourney run, congrats to Uconn Huskies, amazing job! Today I had two milestones. I did a load of laundry and before the game, decided to cook a homemade meal for my DH since he has been so wonderful to me during my recovery... Fettucini Alfredo. And it was awesome. I shudder at the calories but hey, we both deserved the cream and butter, lol! I will admit that after being in the kitchen I was ready to sit as my thigh was burning a bit. He fussed at me, but slurped that fettucini down in between lecturing. It's okay now, just a twinge.

Have barely used my cane today. When I am in the kitchen dont really need it as there is lots of counter space to grab onto. Outpatient PT tomorrow. After my shower this morning I removed the steri strips (doc told me to) and I am amazed at how clean and neat my incision is. I'm not vain about it, but just commenting. Any doc that can take my pain away like he did can leave a scar that looks as if he used a chainsaw for all I care. So happy I can stand up straight and tall (now I can actully LOOK like I am my full height, lol) and not be in pain.

But here's a musing... am I the only one, esp having had an awful gait beforehand, noticing that the (ahem) gluteus maximus is way outta shape??? It's almost as if my booty took a dive from lack of correct use, so to speak. Noticing it more now since I can stand up straight. Guess I wasn't utilizing those particular muscles bc of the way I was walking. Just an observation.

Good night, all!
 
@glmrphy I'm not sure about YOUR gluteus maximus....let's see and we can be the judge?? LOL :heehee: By the way....you got me in that quote....pain meds must have had my mind "fuzzy". LOL Nice picture by the way!!
 
@glmrphy Yay. A picture. Now I can put a face to your posts. Sorry your wildcats didn't make it, but it probably kept your cheering to a minimum. I think my butt looks flatter since the surgery. Hmmmm. Wonder when I can start doing squats again?? :shrug:
 
@Dmcfad2 , my PT started me on a very mild squat late last week, very gentle at first. Glad, bc I have to do some squatting sometimes at work, getting better at it, no problems so far. And, lol, I left my Wildcats pic up until after the tourney. Thought it was time to properly "introduce" myself. As far as the butt thing, I feel like it happened to me bc of my awful gait before surgery. I am sure the strengthening in PT will help, after all, they ARE important muscles in all this... Hope you are recovering nicely!
 
True story, I swear... Sitting here waiting for my outpatient PT appt. Pulled into parking space and looked up to see a sign on the building next to me. Big as day. It says CORONER. Talk about something to make you hesitate... Lol!!!
 
Okay, yesterday I was 3 weeks post op and doing amazing. Got ready by myself, no help from DH (sock on that still a challenge, but I can do it) and drove to my first outpatient PT appt. And I must say, I was nervous about what they might want to make me do, so I was up front with the PTA who asked if I had any questions for her before we started. So I said, "No questions, just concerns. I believe that PT should be somewhat challenging but NOT painful. If it hurts, I'm speaking up." She was so kind and said they didn't believe in that and treated me accordingly. First thing she wanted to do was watch me walk and she was amazed at how well I was doing, then we went to a cubicle to she could look at my leg and incsion. I had noticed that my right (operated) leg was slightly larger than my left, esp when dressing. She said there was still quite a bit of fluid in there and proceeded to tell me about lymphatic drainage through massage. So she did that, showed me how to do it myself (start in abdomen, neck, armpit then groin, where there are main points of lymph nodes). She asked me if I felt anything, and I DID when she worked on my leg. I swear, there was a "release" in the tightness, not muscle tightness, but like, in the skin. I was a little blown away. Then after dressing and standing back up, she had me feel my leg, and it was not as puffy and she pulled the material of my pants out and said, "See? When you came in here, your leg totally filled the leg of your pants." And, by golly, there was a looseness in the material that was not there. She explained that allowing the lymph system to begin "flowing" and therefore "draining", it would help with any pain caused by the fluid. Excellent!

Then, she checked my back. Hesitated and said, "Do you have scoliosis?" Umm. Oops. Forgot to tell them that during my first eval. I told her yes. She said it changes things a little, as far as their treatment, bc the scoliosis causes my pelvis to tilt. Therefore affecting my gait. Then we went to the stationary bike, and that's when I got a little nervous, but this woman had made me feel so comfortable, I trusted her. So on the bike I get (thank God it had a real SEAT, like a chair, instead of traditional bicycle seat, lol) and she strapped my feet in. Told me to make one rotation, slowly. When my right leg got to the top of the rotation, I felt a catch in the inner part of my hip. I stopped, she asked me what I was feeling and she took her fingers and placed light pressure there and after about a minute (it didn't hurt, just felt like gentle, steady pressure) she told me to try it again. Wow. Just-wow. It was smooth after that, felt so natural, and she said to pedal at MY leisure and set the timer for 7 minutes. And I did. So, that, folks, is my newest milestone! May be silly to some, but I would neer have been able to do that before surgery!! I asked her, what did you DO?? She grinned and said she had magic hands. I briefly entertained the idea of kidnapping her and bringing her home with me.

So, I started off slow and got up to 45 RPMs and did it for 7 minutes. And when I was done, everything felt better. The tightness in my leg was better, my hip felt amazing, I wanted to skip out of there- but, baby steps. I was happy and grateful that I was able to wave to them, see you thurs, and walk out to my truck , get in and drive home. I am finally feeling like my life is changing for the better.

I still need to make a decision about work. Thought I would see how tomorrows session goes before deciding. Doc said 21st (based on what we both agreed) but he said if I keep trucking along to call him and he will write me in for a new, closer date. So I will sit and ponder that. Problem is, my store seems to be falling apart, and even though the company has placed a competent replacement (just this last week), I feel a strong urge to get back there. But I want to be smart about it, too.

That's it for me, easy day for me today, sun is finally out after days of rain, so I may put my tennis shoes on and take a light stroll outside. All the best for now...
 
Gail, what a wonderful post! I am calling today to set up my first outpatient PT and I am a little nervous about it, so this is just what I needed to hear! I am hoping for those good results. I am still so stiff and sore on my operated leg. Sometimes it feels like it will never get better! Congratulations on another milestone!
 
By the way, are you putting your sock on with the sock puller on thingy or are you doing it yourself? How do you do it without breaking restrictions? Or don't you have any?
 
Gail, what an awesome report on your PT and progress.
So glad you can ride the bike now. I love the recumbent bike, and look forward to getting back to that.
Biking is supposed to be the number one thing for THR'ers.
Sounds like you are just rockin it all!
 
Oh, one more thing. Are you driving yourself? I haven't tried that yet, but would love to. I still haven't had the follow-up with my OS yet. They keep saying I am on the high priority list, but they still haven't called I guess I should wait until he clears me, but I'm antsy!
 
@Dmcfad2 , yes, I am driving myself, cleared by my doc. And I don't have restrictions, had anterior approach. And I put the sock on myself, little bit of a challenge, but I have been shaving that leg, as well, so I guess I am getting better at it, lol... Wait to be cleared from your doc on the driving, though. Do you not have a follow up appt set yet?

And @MajorHeidi , I can see why the biking would be good for hip recovery. It seems to do just about everything a hip needs to do. I know your day is coming, thinking of you and anxiously awaiting your recovery posts!
 
They have not set up my follow up appointment with my OS yet. I have only seen the Physicians Assistant who took out my staples last Friday. They tell me I am on the "high priority" list and they are shooting for April 18, but they haven't given me the appt. I guess my doctor must be super busy.
 
Too busy for you @Dmcfad2 ?? I am so glad you are doing so well @glmrphy When I was at PT Tuesday I was looking at those bikes and ellipticals, but just didn't feel ready to "jump" on. Maybe this next week when I go back. Keep on doing so great Gail!!! Great to hear!!!
 
Thanks, @Plumberbutt , I understand about the equipment. Today I went and they had me on 5 different pieces of equipment, but everything was fine, felt good, no pain. The only thing that intimidated me was the one where I had to squat. But I had shared with the PT that I needed to get into that comfort zone as I finally made a decision about work and that would be something I had to do, only once or twice a day, but still. I think the PT read my mind, bc he said, most people are scared of this, but let me show you... and it was all good. I also plan to walk my driveway some, too. I need to build up a tolerance of being on my feet all day in preparation for work. But you are doing good, too! Nothing wrong with feeling like you shouldn't "jump in", I believe in feeling comfortable with it first, just as you said.
 
Turned in my paperwork yesterday for doc to fill out for my return to work. DH and I sat down and had a talk about it and we decided to wait until the original date that doc and I had decided on, the 21st. I had played around with the idea of going next week bc I am out of vacation time now, but I ultimately decided that I wanted to be smart about it and make sure I could squat properly. I also plan to take a few trips to mall and do some walking, mingling.... just to build up tolerance of being up and around.. lol. Can't wait to go back to work, I miss it (yeah, I know, weird) but I also feel like that is the pinnacle of my recovery. To be able to go back to normalcy and for my hip to not be in pain. Have a great day, everyone!
 
25 days... I got rid of my cane several days ago (keep it in my truck in case I am out and feel I need it), quit using the elevated toilet seat 3 days ago... Am now able to go up steps using both feet. Gait is much better than even a week ago and if it werent for the issue with my lower spine, I would be in no pain at all. The only discomfort I feel sometimes is from some swelling, on the side of the leg, for which I elevate and ice.

Was looking forward to going and picking up my oldest granddaughter, whose birthday I missed during week of surgery. Had a plan to take her to movies and celebrate, have her spend the night over. But when she found out she was going to "miss the fireworks in the Big City" (Thunder Over Louisville) she changed her mind. She is only six, so I understood, but had kind of mentally geared myself up for her visit, lol...

Feeling so good, I am thinking of doing what any red blooded American girl would do- shopping!!! Even though I really didn't have a choice, I am glad I had the surgery. I used to dread shopping. Now I won't!
 
@glmurphy .. Just curious.. Did you have spinal with sedation or spinal with general ?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom