Guest viewing is limited

THR Released- from the "Joint"

Status
Not open for further replies.
@psychteach , No spinal. Only general. Had a lot of pain when I woke up initially bc of this, but they controlled it well, within 15 mins (so my family tells me) lol...
 
Hi Gail @glmrphy ...it's a bad day when we dread shopping, isn't it!!!!

Your PTA sounds amazing.....you are lucky to have her.

I'm glad you have given yourself a little more time to recover before returning to work....once back they may expect you to be back to your normal self......it's great you are looking forward to getting back.

Just be careful with the squats Gail and, @Dmcfad2. I'm sure you are only doing a few but at around week 9 I did a rehab class in the water and the instructor had me doing squats up and down the pool (sideways motion) well the next four days I was in so much pain and then really low as I felt it had set me back quite a bit. I found out later that too many squats were not advised and aggravated the cup part of the joint.

Keep up the great work
 
I will be 4 weeks post-op tomorrow. Hard to believe that when I came to this forum I could barely deal with the pain of the AVN in my hip and now I feel no pain. Leg feels really good today. Have had a couple days of energy drain, but that is better. Back to work a week from today and hoping to continue in the direction I am heading. Today is our wedding anniversary, not sure what our plans are yet, we will see. Hope everyone is having a decent day :)
 
Oh Happy wedding anniversary day! I am sure your DH will have something special for you, his special lady.
:martini:
 
@glmrphy 'happy anniversary' and what a fantastic day for you with No pain .....a double celebration.

How many years?????
 
Thanks @MajorHeidi , @Hoppy Nanny , and @Vetgirl . Yesterday marked our 14 yr anniversary and we decided to just lay low for the day, weather was nasty and my RA was acting up from temp going from 83 Sunday to 35 last night. Will probably celebrate with a nice dinner out to make up for it later. :wink:
 
Four weeks post op for me. Went to oupatient PT and worked out on 6 machines, he even increased weights (yay, Milestone!) and it all felt good. He is helping me with my lower back in conjunction with my THR. Some moist heat afterward topped off a great therapy session.

Stopped by work on the way, had just missed my district mgr, but he called me and said he got the email from the company handling my leave that I am returning on Monday. He seemed glad, although we had to talk about some issues that need to be attended to fairly soon. I am anxious to get back, I miss my job even though it's demanding and stressful sometimes. :hairpulling:

I am having a hard time finding 325mg tylenol in the stores. Havent checked Wal-Mart yet, as I avoid that place at all costs. But may have to zip in there to get it. I would prefer taking the lower dose in case I need to take more.
Some milestones in the last week:
  • Painted my own toenails
  • Can now put my shoes and socks on
  • Got rid of cane totally
  • today I bent over and touched my toes!
  • DH and I were able to- ya know- be friendly :blush:
  • Can now walk up and down stairs normally
So thankful. It does get better. I know I am not totally healed, but I am so amazed at my new abilities!
 
Awesome positive report there Gail!
Woohoo to you!
Hey, I saw where your op foot was turning in when you first started walking with the walker.
Mine does that, too. Did it stop pretty quickly or what?
 
Hey, I saw where your op foot was turning in when you first started walking with the walker.
Mine does that, too. Did it stop pretty quickly or what?


@MajorHeidi , that was something that the PT in the hospital pointed out to me and told me to concentrate on keeping it pointed to the front. It was hard, bc I felt like I had to think too much to walk. But it worked. I think it was a result of the limp I had developed before surgery and was something I was doing without thinking. Just like the "heel to toe" with my foot, I had been so used to flat-footing through my walk that I had to really put it in the front of my brain to make it go that way, lol...
 
@glmrphy Great report. I am so happy for you. I tried walking up steps the normal way, but I'm still not there yet. I STILL haven't had my follow up yet. (What's up with that?) I am hoping to have most restrictions lifted at 6 weeks. I continue to make slight progress every day. Today I went grocery shopping for the first time, plus I walked 3/4 mile this morning. By the time I got done grocery shopping, I was pretty sore, so I'm sitting here with ice on my hip. My Fitbit shows I've walked 1 1/2 miles today! Still need my cane to not limp, but I find myself walking around the house without it. I know you will be glad to get back to work. You probably won't be posting as much, but I hope you will continue to check in with progress reports.
 
@Dmcfad2 , I have been working on the steps through physical therapy. Have you called your doc's office and asked them about your follow-up?
 
Great report @glmrphy and celebrating your anniversary later gives you something to look forward too.

I'm glad you are looking forward to getting back to work....

@Dmcfad2 call them again....that's not good enough!!!!! I got my 2 wk and 6 wk appt dates at the time of checkout from the hospital. You shouldn't have to keep chasing them up!!!!
 
Although I am doing great, I have to admit, I am apprehensive on reducing pain meds. I finally did find 325mg Tylenol, so adding that to my dose is definitely helping to stretch out the time in between doses. I really want to reduce the Norco from 4 doses a day (1 pill) to two. I know it sounds like a jump, but start back to work on Monday and dont see my OS again until Friday. My job is on my feet the whole day, with the exception of some time in my office for paperwork. I am going to try this today, or at lease down to 3 doses. The only pain I have is after being up and around for a few hours, my thigh (outer edge) begins to feel sore. I have found that icing helps this. I will be using ice at work when I need it.

Just wanted to share with my fellow Bone Smarties my fears on this. Honestly, I think that a larger dose of Tylenol would do the trick. Any thoughts?
 
@glmrphy I am wondering why you would like to cut your dose of Norco if you still need it? Is it because you don't want to be taking them while you are at work? Do they make you feel too loopy to work? I think they are a relatively mild painkiller as far as opiates go. I know there is an article somewhere on this site that Josephine found for me about weaning off pain meds, stretching time between doses, then going to half a pill every 4 hours and 1 1/2 at bedtime, then every 6 hours or something like that until you are at one in the morning and one at bedtime or as needed. The article recommends weaning over a few weeks. You might find it in the library. At least you are experimenting this week while still at home. You might find that the Tylenol works for you. My incision gets pretty sore and my thigh still has quite a bit of swelling and tightness, so I really still need them. I have been on the weaning off schedule for about 1 week now. It is working well for me. I am supplementing with Tylenol as needed. That's just me, of course. I marvel at these folks who are off pain meds at 10 days post op!
 
@glmrphy That is great that you can do all of those things at 4 weeks! Congrats! That is inspiring to those of us that are still waiting for THR! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom