THR Released- from the "Joint"

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ Gail,
thank you!!!... I can tell you I would never have gotten this far without all the support of the wonderful people on here.. I have an appointment on Friday with OS and will know date...most likely May 21 or May 27. I am having an anterior with hana table. I have only one bad hip from a bad fall on concrete in front of my high school 5 years ago ( I am a teacher hence psychteach! lol) I have a terrible limp and hobble around and the pain has gotten way worse in the last year.I am just terrified of all medical... had one surgery on a parathyroid two years ago and that was a challenge for me and my husband..lol! I am full of life, energetic and very positive person... why I struggle with this...not sure...just really hard for me..but your story and others on here give me such hope.. Not sure how I will even get myself to the hospital at the time..LOL.!! with all your support... hopefully I will be able to do this... I know I want to get on with my life...
 
@ Gail,
Not sure how I will even get myself to the hospital at the time..LOL.!! with all your support... hopefully I will be able to do this... I know I want to get on with my life...

Well, how you will do it is your will to get on with your life. I said on here before, face it knowing it will be a challenge but not one that will defeat you. Instead of saying "hopefully" I will be able to do this, start thinking differently about it. I'm a true believer in what we think is what we bring about, good or bad. It's totally normal for you to have apprehensive thoughts. It's major surgery. But make sure you also start thinking about the good in having it done. Knowing, of course, that you don't get right up off the table doing high kicks, lol! Just keep educating yourself, in the end, it is your best defense against all those fears. You will be just fine, I just know it:friends:
 
Great post Gail! @glmrphy
You are doing great, and all those things you are doing and the milestones you are achieving. Yay!
Your attitude is super, and that's great you are going to go to Church.
I will be going tomorrow dragging along my trusty Tush-Cush to sit on.
I have the same apprehensions that @psychteach does, but with your help and our other BS buds, we
should do fine! :friends:
 
@glmrphy You are doing GREAT!!! I understand what you mean now about those milestones....each one is such an accomplishment. Are you still using ice and pain meds? I so much love reading your posts as we are so close to the same surgery date and the same culprit...AVN. I still can't believe how FAST that the hip seems to heal...just amazing!! We'll be dancing before we know it!! Keep up the good job..you are doing great!!
 
Gail, well you are definitely a good advertisement for the hana table and anterior as you are doing awesome!!!. Tell me ... what was your feelings about the hana table? Did you see it ? do you feel it made your surgery easier? don't know if you have an answer for any of this... just trying to know everything as not all doctors use the table although I hear it is very effective ( and very expensive for a hospital to purchase !!!)
 
@psychteach , I will let you in on a little secret... I wasn't sure if they were going to use the Hana table or not. I had read about it and it frankly scared me a little as my lower spine is rigid with arthritis and I kept imagining myself being put into that position and how my back would be in bad shape bc of it. I was asleep before they positioned me and wasnt even totally sure they used the hana until after surgery. I had also read it is very effective bc it allows them easier access to the hip joint. So, basically, I didn't ask questions and they gave me the "I don't care shot" before wheeling me in. I remember seeing a big overhead light, lots of people talking, but also talking to me in very calm, reassuring voices. Last I remember is there was a comfy mask placed over my face, very gently, and the anethsthesiologist (I met him beforehand) said take some nice easy breaths... and the next thing I remember it was over. It even says in my operating room report that they administered my anesthesia BEFORE placing me on the Hana table. I am sure it will be the same for you. But, when you see your doc before your surgery, you should express any concerns or questions to him/her about this. I am sure you wouldn't be the first to ask :)
 
@glmrphy @psychteach My OS will be using the Hana table, too.
There is a picture of it in the library. It looks like a big X with ski boots on the bottom. I sure hope I
am administered the spinal/sedation so I don't have to help get on it. eeeek!
 
@Plumberbutt I only use ice now when I feel I need to, as all the swelling has gone down. They switched me to Norco from Percocet a couple days ago, and it seems to handle things well. My range of motion is getting so much better, I'm just anxious to get the staples out! Still having some pain and stiffness in the mornings, but I have Still's Disease (rare form of rheumatoid arthritis) so that is to be expected. My only issue is that my other hip is bothering some, and when doing standing excercises, my new hip is wonderful but my remaining "old" hip is burning, so I have to watch it. When I go to PT I'm gonna ask them about it, see what we can do, if anything. My worst fear is the AVN getting that other hip, too, but at least I know I've been through it and could do it again. Just hoping it's not for a long time. The weirdest thing for me...? Is standing up straight! :shrug: I had limped with a stooping stance/walk, it's so strange to stand up straight! Glad you are doing well, too, keep up the good work, and here's hoping our other hips remain intact and strong.
 
@MajorHeidi , I really do feel like they usually sedate everyone before placing. It was hard for me to imagine myself being in that position, which is why I didn't ask if they were going to use it. It's kinda like what they actually do in order to replace the hip... I had a basic knowledge, but didn't really wanna get in depth with the details... For a good reason, didn't wanna freak myself out! :scare: But, my OS told me, look, if you watch any of the videos online or know step by step what is happening, you will wake up wondering, wow, cant believe I hardly have any pain. But I didn't put myself through all that. I knew I was gonna be sedated and know and feel nothing, that was good enough for me. The surgery was around 1 1/2 hrs and went perfect, doc said it couldnt have gone better. I was glad when it was over and I am glad I made the decision to do it :SUNsmile:
 
@glmrphy Yeah... I know the table is great for getting good access but like you it seems a little scary to look at it . I had read someone say they had to put their foot in boot before anesthesia... I hope not! I want to know anything..I hear it is really good for getting to when re they need to without twisting body a lot and helps therefore with after blood clots and blood loss. My OS is the only one who does anterior at the hospital I will be going to and only one who uses hana... hope he knows his stuff:))) so I am guessing they told you after they used it?
 
I read it in my surgery report, @psychteach ... my suggestion would be to request that. Tell them your fears and that you would like to be sedated first. I am sure they would be happy to comply!
 
13 days post op- doing fairly well... Am going to practice walking with my cane today. Was hoping to be able to use it when going for my follow up this wednesday to OS. Walker is useful, but seems almost cumbersome (more than helpful) now. I noticed yesterday when getting out of the bed that I just naturally pulled my leg up toward me to allow it to go over the side (like the other leg). Tiny milestone, but the "log leg" feeling is gone. I had to remove the water proof dressing that the nurse applied the other day bc it caused me to itch unbearably. I have another one that she left, might put it on to take a shower, then remove as soon as I get out.

Maybe I'm being whiny, but I am sooo ready to get these staples removed!! By the time they do it wed, it will have been 15 days- just seems like forever, lol! I am anxious to speak with my OS about everything and I plan to ask for a copy of my post op xray. Also, I know everyone's experience with this is different, but did your surgeon's office give you any documentation to show proof of your implant for security, metal detectors? Just wondering, bc I sure don't want to feel like I gotta drop my drawers at the court house just to whip out my scar and prove it's existence ...:shocked:
 
2 weeks post op today and tomorrow is finally my visit with OS. Home Health PT came yesterday and basically bid me a fond farewell (what a sweetheart she was!) and told me that since I see the doc she didn't think I would see her again as I am doing excellent. Range of motion is great, so tomorrow should be when OS gives me a script for outpatient PT, for which I am grateful- bc it's just another milestone to be celebrated. Two weeks ago when I came out of surgery and got up for the first time, I couldnt even imagine doing this without a walker. What a difference two weeks has made.

My only complaint for now would be that the doc switched me to Norco and it doesn't do much to help my pain. My pain is not BAD, by any means, but as most of you know, ANY pain can be hard to deal with, esp when trying to get comfortable enough to rest. I honestly think I would do better with a higher dose of tylenol than I am on the Norco. I know all of us are different in that regard, and I am by no means advocating throwing pain meds aside for tylenol, but that's just my thinking on this for ME. Still dealing with pain and stiffness in the morning and I am trying to figure out if it is truly my back or my other hip. Reason I put it that way is that, since my right THR, the right side of my back doesnt hurt. My doc can clearly see arthritis and degeneration in my lower spine, but the source of the pain in my back could very likely have been the hips all along.

Another thought I have had is... re-learning the "new walk". In other words, I used to have an antalgic gait. So badly that I had to re think and re train my brain how to walk properly (no limp, make sure touch heel to toe with foot, etc). No easy task. But... what if THAT is the reason I have had pain in my back, or even more, what if that is what caused degeneration in my spine? Now all of a sudden, I am walking and carrying myself in the proper way, no limp, all of a sudden my spine goes, "huh..?" and movements are different therefore causing different reactions to the movements. Just theorizing here, keep in mind. One of the vendors that come into my work had the exact same surgery as me (same doc even) and when he came back to work and was asked how he was doing, he said, GREAT, only problem I am having is the new hip feels so good that it's making my other hip hurt.

So, I will probably discuss the Norco with doc tomorrow, see what we can come up with. Meantime, one day at a time. Been bored to tears. Feeling well enough to do something, but not well enough to do what I am used to doing. I am going to be careful how I go from here, bc I can definitely see how it would be easy to assume, Oh, I can do that, and get in over my head. Going to try to think of increasing activity levels in milestones, too, bc that is def the way to do it, slow and sure. Tomorrow I get the "zipper track" taken out of my leg, looking forward to saying goodbye to all those staples. And I will get to see my xray, which I am very interested in seeing. Hope you all have a wonderful day, remember those milestones, they are so important!
 
Question: Little pangs of pain along my thigh where, until recently, the skin has been somewhat numb. Is this nerve regeneration? It's not constant and not horrible, but kinda catches me off guard, like a little zing... I felt it a few nights ago along the incision then again today after I had a shower and dressed, sat down to relax and it started mid-thigh, almost like little prickles. Then it stopped :shrug:
 
@glmrphy Hi, Gail. Regarding your antalgic gait; you said you re-learned how to walk. How have you been able to do that so quickly? I have an antalgic gait, too and have it it for about 14 years. I am practicing trying to walk without it, but I don't think I've mastered it yet. I switched to a cane from my walker today, so I am hoping that will help me learn to walk properly. If you have mastered it, what did you do? Thanks. Debbie
 
@Dmcfad2 , basically worked with my PT and he helped me to actually realize. You know what I mean? Be concious of the proper way to walk versus what my body (and brain) had adapted to. For instance, I had been pointing my foot inward and slightly leaning forward, then very quickly trying to get off the bad foot. Well, after surgery, I had to think about it. Because the old hip, which made me do those things, was gone. So now, I consiously point my foot forward, stand tall and (here's the one that took me most of the last two weeks to do)- allow that foot to touch heel-to-toe. In other words, I used to "flat foot" with that leg, but that is no longer necessary bc the bad hip joint is not there anymore to cause the pain. I had an AVN lesion (15mm) that was located in the anterior portion of the femoral head. In other words, I was leaning forward and allowing as short of an amount of time of my weight on that foot so it wouldnt hurt. I don't need to do that now. So, I had to pay attention and make myself realize, hey, this isn't gonna hurt, go for it. It takes time. My DH says it allows him to see the wiggle in my walk again :giggle:... And I gotta tell you, the standing up straight was weird for me as well. It comes from years of us compensating. You'll get there. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom