THR Released- from the "Joint"

Status
Not open for further replies.
@glmrphy. Good you are getting your gait corrected now...it will certainly help your back problems...I had enormous problems with my pre op gait....both knees pointing inwards and couldn't stand up straight..used a wheelchair for 9 months as a walking aid! Post op it took me a good 12 -14 weeks to get a good gait....used an elbow crutch up to 5 months when walking a long way...now at 6 months my gait is perfect! It's so worth taking your time...my P T had me practice in front of a mirror. Also those 'zingers' as I called them ( like almost an electric shock) come and go as different things ( technical term!) wake up along the recovery...nothing to worry about....they eventually stop. Keep up the good work..Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Oh, @Hoppy Nanny , you're awesome, thank you! I figured it was a few nerve coming back to life, which even though they sting, is good news for me. As far as gait, I swear that is what has messed up my lower back (before, I mean) so my hope is that, little by little, my new "swing" (lol) will get things back where they want to work.
 
@glmrphy Thanks, Gail. I have had groin pain in my right(good) hip for about a year now that I am hoping is the result of my uneven gait before surgery. I will keep on working on my walk and hope it goes away, or I'll be doing this again in the near future!
 
I'm home from my 2 week post op appt (today is day 15) , doc was extremely pleased at my progress which made me feel good. My back still didn't like getting on that xray table, but it needed to be done to check the hip. He showed it to me, looked like I thought it would, but kinda neat to know it was mine, lol... Get to toss the walker aside and use cane until I feel stable enough to walk without it, leaving that up to me. Ordered outpatient PT for me which begins tomorrow. And getting the staples out was a relief, was surprised at how well the surgical scar is healing. I can now shower with it uncovered. Have a tentative date to return to work and doc told me depending on how I do and how I feel about it, that could change either way. He wants me to listen to my body and make certain I don't feel unsure about anything, for which I am grateful. Told me if I needed more pain meds over the next couple weeks to just call him and he would make it happen.

It was weird, bc I saw 3 other people who had surgery the same day I did there today for post op follow up. There was only one other hip, the other two knees. All of us had group PT together while in hospital, so we all talked and marveled about how well we were compared to two weeks ago...:)

Hubby and I decided to celebrate and went to our favorite cafe for an early lunch and now I am back home relaxing, feeling really good. This hasn't been a cakewalk, mind you, but I am so glad I did it. So, my milestones today are as mentioned above and I am so happy to be getting even to this point. Still a way to go, but I certainly do feel as if I have not only "come around the bend" but am heading into the stretch where I can actually see the goal I had set for myself, to attain mobility without pain and-more importantly- get my life back, live it and enjoy it- without all that pain and suffering.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Post Op, Day 17- went to first outpatient PT yesterday. I really like the facility (they let me choose) and I had a frank discussion with PT about my other hip and lower back. Reason being is they want to automatically make me lie flat, and I'm not ready to do that. So he came up with a plan to help my back and left (remaining, natural) hip, too! (hallelujah chorus, here). I was hoping that's the way they would approach it. See, to me, if they don't address those issues, how would they successfully re-hab my THR? I was glad to hear their willingness to approach it this way. Gave me 3 more excercises to add to my home regime, told me my gait was excellent, considering, and my range of motion was almost in normal range. Mentioned possibly moving to warm pool therapy, but we will see, bc my rheumatoid arthritis does not respond well to heat.

I had forgotten to ask about driving when I went to OS the other day, so I called their office and nurse talked to him for me and he said I could drive now, if I felt comfy doing so. Told my DH I thought I would ease back into that one, not wanting to jump right back into my SUV, lol.. thought I would get stronger using just my cane before I do that.

Went to Target to browse through some books as I am getting a little more bored. Then we came home so my daughter and two of my grandchildren could come over for a visit. Hadnt seen them since a few days after surgery, and my daughter couldnt believe how well I am walking. She is a nursing assistant and works with people who have had THR's, but has never worked with a patient that had the Anterior approach. So you can imagine her shock, lol.... and my oldest granddaughter, 6 yrs old, what a sweetheart! Says she has been praying "all the time" for my hip, even shyly asked if she could see it (the scar)! I showed it to her, and she very wisely pronounced, "Looks GOOD, Mammaw!!!"

I still am very stiff and painful in the mornings, but that is something that RA does to a person. My hip pain is hardly ever above a 1. It is getting stronger, literally, by the day. I am starting to actually feel like it will be necessary to replace the left hip. The pain in that hip was never as severe as the one they replaced, but now that the right hip has been fixed, I am noticing and focusing on the left hip pain more. But PT said we might be able to help that side as we do PT for my THR, so I am hopeful. Thanks for all the BS support, I love to read everyone's journey! Today will be an easy day at home, thank goodness, and I am in extreme anticipation of the Final Four game tomorrow, my beloved Wildcats are representin'...! Take care all...
 
:goodpost:@glmrphy Gail, what a fantastic update! I am so happy for you. Sounds like you are moving right along.
 
Major milestone today. Doc had cleared me to do so this past week but I waited until I felt ready... I drove! And it was great! I had promised myself that if anything felt wierd, I would turn around and go back, but everything felt natural. I went to the store and got a couple items and drove back. Granted, I just went a few miles out here in the country and only had 1 major intersection to cross, but I did it. That was a huge thing for me and I'm glad it worked out. Still taking it a little at a time, and it is getting to where I don't really even need my cane, but I take it with me in case I need it. Those close to me are truly happy to see me walking upright without a limp. Sometimes I think it's not real and it makes me teary-eyed. I am so grateful to my dr and all the support I've had. Esp from everyone here.
 
I told my DH that he will need to strap me down to my recliner tomorrow night as, while watching my UK Wildcats play such a heart pounding game in the final four, I got too excited and jumped up from my chair. Thought we had this one lost, surely not, then Aaron H shot a 3 with 4.7 seconds to go!!! Okay, yeah, I get it. Everyone saying, Gail, calm down, be careful... and I promise I will, bc I had a little twinge later in the night that wasnt there before. Then when Wisconsin missed their shot on last possession, I swear, I grabbed my husband and went nuts, not jumping, but waayyyy to excited (how could I not be...?), screaming, saying, "I still cant believe he DID that!" , hugging my hubby again (he says I split his lip, lol) ...

So, just saying, it's a bit dangerous for me to watch tomorrow night's championship game, but watch it I must. Hoping it's not a nail biter, bc that is what made me go all nuts, lol... last few games in the tourney have been that way. I think I'm gonna need a mild tranquilizer just to view it safely, lol... I just get way too excited. Good thing I wasn't there in person, I would have probably jumped into the team dogpile at the end!

In all seriousness, I'm okay. But I wanted to share this, as I DID (while standing) kinda bounce hard into a standing position. I am going to church later this morning and plan to rest all afternoon. Hope everyone is doing well today...
 
@glmrphy You are doing GREAT!!! How are you feeling? Isn't it amazing how fast these hips can recover? I get those little "twinge" thingys too once in a while...not sure why, figure it is just the nerves around incision. Mine still gets kinda achy, but I am not sitting around much anymore. Still using my cane, but hopefully that will be pretty much gone this week. How is your other hip doing? My doc said that mine may never be a problem, then again..it is hard to predict. He showed me how the other hip, my right one, has quite a bit from the AVN, just like my left one did except it hasn't collapsed yet. Hope it will last a while yet, but who knows!! Great seeing you on here and take care...we still gotta cheer each other on!!!! Take care!!!:flwrysmile:

I forgot to ask you...are you still using your pain meds? I still am as without them, is is still kinda painful at times....mainly when I first get up from sitting until I get it going...are you similar with that? Thanks!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, @Plumberbutt , I still use Norco. Not needing it as often, but I still take it steady as I do get achy and I really do believe that there should still be some pain occasionally, we are still healing! I don't want to allow it to get out of control, so better to be steady with it. I talked to my doc who treats my RA and asked him if I could go bck on a small dose of Meloxicam in the evening, but they are afraid of what it could do to my stomach. My OS told me if I needed more pain meds to call, so I feel like I have that covered if I need it.

Yesterday I pretty much walked around most of the day without my cane. My hubby kept finding it everywhere- uh, honey, you left your cane in the kitchen, or- did you need this (while holding out my cane). I just really need it when I first awaken bc of stiffness OR if we go somewhere bc I dont want to get caught without it when I truly need it!

Glad you are doing well, it is amazing how we are doing! Prob going back to work soon, if not a week from now then the folllowing. I am needed there and I miss it. Gonna take it easy today and watch the game tonight. But first, I shld prob find those tranquilizers.... lol.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:spin: @Dmcfad2 , I will try to be careful, but something you should know about me.... I am a true blue die hard KY Wildcats fan... (like you didnt already know, lol) and the urge (no, need!) to cheer, clap, scream, stomp and yell when they are playing in this tourney is born and bred. I seriously hope that tonight's game isnt a nail biter, as that will keep some of that at bay, lol... I will try to remember that I shouldnt jump up from my chair. I think my DH is gonna go looking for the duct tape to strap me down to the recliner....
 
@glmrphy You are funny. I get that way about my San Diego Chargers. I love football. Luckily by the time football season comes around again, I should be well into my recovery, so I can jump and scream! I love reading your posts, please keep up with your updates. I know as we get better, there is less stuff to post, but I think I kind of compare my recovery with yours (I know, we aren't supposed to do that!) because we are so close together. Did you go to UK? I've never been to Kentucky, but we just got a new motor home and we plan on traveling around the US. Good luck to your Wildcats!
 
@glmrphy Did you go to UK? I've never been to Kentucky, but we just got a new motor home and we plan on traveling around the US. Good luck to your Wildcats!

I didn't attend the University of Kentucky, rather Western Kentucky University... But I have watched UK basketball since I was around 8 yrs old, have been to their campus.. I think it's a KY thing... We just have the fever for our Wildcats! If you ever cruise through the Bluegass State in that RV, let me know- we can compare scars... :rotfl:
 
@glmrphy Congratulations on your speedy recovery!
You have done an amazing job! :happydance:
Glad you are driving, and thinking of getting back to your work. It is nice to be needed....
Go Cats!
 
Ya know...it seems so ironic that it appears that all of us on here seem to be pretty active, but we all have to have new hips....what are we doing wrong?? Probably just having too much fun!! Great hearing how you are doing...I have been walking most of today without cane and really am not missing it either, like you, something more to lose!! I'm finally kicking this dang cold, that has been a doosy!! Keep on going and take care!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom