THR Released- from the "Joint"

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MajorHeidi , I am thankful. For this forum. For getting the chance to see and know what others are dealing with. My DH doesnt know. My staff at work doesnt know. My family doesnt even know. Only those of us who have suffered. I know you will do great, your time is coming!:friends: For those of us who are "control freaks" it's all in how you think. So I decided I'm gonna embrace every little small detail thats a move forward in my recovery. Got too much "new life" to live and enjoy. Hard to let some of that control go, but easier to regain the control when you think about the baby steps!
 
Nurse came by and was able to provide me with a waterproof bandage so I can take a real shower. Also called my doc about my pain meds, they didn't prescribe anywhere near enough to last me until next week. I have an appt with my hematologist later this morning, so my milestone today is venturing out into public with my new hip, walker and all. After that, I am going to have my DH take me by my work and check on a few things and get back home for refrigerator repair man to fix that issue (not the best time in the world for that to be happening, but...).... Then I plan to rest bc tonight my beloved UK Wildcats play U of L (HUGE rivalry game)... By the time that is over I will be tired beyond belief. But I'm kinda looking forward to it, knowing it will be a challenge. Hope all the other "hippies" are doing well and remember.. Go Wildcats!! :yahoo:
 
@glmrphy It sounds like you are doing great!! I had a rougher night, the pain control isn't enough and I will be calling doc today. I'm sure it is just that first few day soreness, but when I left the surgery center, they had just the ticket on pain meds. I have been using ice very regularly which like so many say is really the best answer. Sounds like your hubby is a real trooper too!! My family has been EXCELLENT too. It is hard to have to have them do so much, but they understand and it is a "need". So happy you are doing so well.....isn't it just the best!! Take care and keep us posted.
 
WOW, on your toilet issue. A kind soul directed me here after posting I was having that EXACT same issue. Sadly tho my commode, delivered to me in the hospital before I left, did not have that sleeve/shield. I have a call into the DME company to see if that was an oversite, or if I just have to buy that separately. Thanks so much for sharing this so I can stop the lake effect, and keep my poor husband sane
 
@glmrphy I love reading your posts. You sound so much like me. I agree about the milestones. This morning while getting my coffee, I noticed I took a step without leaning on my walker. Did it without thinking about it!
 
@dianehelen , I hate it that you have been dealing with that, too... was very frustrating for me! We were getting ready to just pull the whole thing and set it up as a bedside toilet with the bucket, then we found the sleeve. The only reason I didn't want to do that is bc of having to empty it each time, but it would have been better than having to clean the floor each time. I hope you were able to get it. If not, why not use the bucket part that fits in under. Hope your day has been good! And @Dmcfad2 , the first time I did the step without walker moment, it was almost an afterthought, lol... gotta love the milestones!
 
Had an awesome day today (well, technically yesterday, as it is after 1 in the morning right now, stayed up to watch my Wildcats play, lol). I took a shower and all went well until I stepped out to dry off. I think my BP dropped (this has happened to me before) so my DH had a chair ready for me and I sat down, wet and all. Got me some water and after a few sips, nausea and weakness passed. Then, had a time "directing" DH with the TED hose, lol, I think we got them backwards, but that's okay, got them fixed then had to rest for about 30 mins. Finally got ready for doc appt at hematologist, stopped by my work on the way, bad idea since things are not going the way I had directed. But that is one of the things I have to let go right now. Doc appt went well, I asked him about the AVN and my steroid use, not gonna be able to go off the Prednisone bc it is too vital to my treatment for RA. My OS finally called me in some Norco and a mild muscle relaxer for the spasms I keep getting deep in the hip joint. Had planned on us stopping for lunch, nothing big, just fast food- but got a call from fridge repair guy, had to go on home to meet him. But I did really well! Hated that we had to drag the walker around, but it was nice being out.

I am getting around so much more easily now. Today is post-op 10. And I see small improvements even from yesterday, like I can now get up from a sitting position without guarding that side. And I made a sandwich today and just used the counter and center island to get around instead of the walker. I set myself up now for my PT, no longer need help with that. Told the dr today that I was gonna be high-kickin' soon. He laughed and said he did not doubt that for a minute...:wink:
 
@glmrphy, the bucket that came with my commode is not round, stupidly it's rectangular.And ya, I really can not subect my poor husband to cleaning that out each time. We did find a sorta universal one at a local medical supply store, it is round, but flexible so it adapts reasonably to the seat I have. Course no perfect world, while it saves the floor, I realized that by doing that it splashes on the sides of the sleeve, so after each time I pee, I have to wipe down the sides with toilet paper before my husband uses it, or when he moves the seat, it drips backon the floor. No perfect world but a more acceptable one. So thanks again for blazing the , umm, splashy trail.
 
@glmrphy Are you still using the walker? or cane? I have been sleeping....napping....in the living room on the sofa and recliner. It is just easier than bothering the wife trying to get around. I am really getting around pretty well now. I am using the walker and cane sometimes. I am having to take some benadryl for the itching that I am getting from the narcotics, but without them, I wouldn't be doing so well....they really are the key to keep the pain under control along with ice. Alternating the two that I have, dillaudid and hydrocodone, have been key for me until I can start backing off using them.

I am so glad to hear how well you are doing....it has been quite a ride!!!
 
@Plumberbutt , I am still using the walker as a precaution, and was told to do so until I see my OS on the 2nd. I am def ready for the cane, and might even try it this weekend around the house. I was told to keep my TED hose on (can remove for up to 45 mins a day) until then, also, but I also had a bloodclot when I was 30 yrs old, not sure if that's a precaution for me, too.

I really don't like taking narcotics, but really, it is essential to our recovery to do so! It allows us to recover quicker, I am convinced. If I didnt have the awful arthritis pain in my lower back every morning, I'd be set! I take my walker and cruise the house, my dog thinks I'm nuts!:wink: And my PT with home health has been a blessing, but honestly, after knowing what they want me to do, I can do it myself. Matter of fact, I have been told that this OS usually writes a script for outpatient PT at first appt, but that's okay, I'm ready! Keep trucking along, we are gettin' there! :friends:
 
Awww, @dianehelen , I am glad you found some sort of solution, even though there is still a little work involved. It's not the best case scenario, but much better than asking someone to clean up our "accidents", so to speak. I was worried yesterday bc had to go out to doc and hafway through the outing, I realized I had to pee and it would mean a regular commode height. But, I did great. I think I am just about ready to hopefully "retire" the bedside toilet/over the commode seat... but it sure was helpful when I needed it!:groan:
 
Okay, now I am wondering about recovery time and returning to work. I know we all have different jobs and different recoveries, but in general... My job is very physically demanding. But my boss is okay with me coming back partial days and partial workload. A lot of office work I could do, but basically, just my PRESENCE there is needed for good direction. My doc already said that if I was just gonna do office work, he would be okay with that. So, just asking about others and their experiences- knowing that we are all different, mind you. Appreciate it!
 
Had an absolutely amazing PT session with my Home Health PT today! Second time I've had her and I love her to pieces, she doesn't push- but she challenges. I love a challenge. And my "beginning" PT excercises were getting too easy * :yawn: * and I felt like the mucsles were ready to be slightly more challenged. We began with what we have been doing, and she was praising my improvement in just a day and a half. I know this is gonna sound funny, but... best way to describe my hip is that I feel like something has finally "let loose", you know where everything is so tight after surgery, tramatized and sore. I have a "swing" back, and I mean without me actually using my hand to help it along (moving off the bed, sitting down, etc.). So, that is my milestone today. Movement is more free an fluid. Actually feels GOOD to work my hip. Whereas before, it seemed like work. We very gently eased into 3 more moves, not as many reps, and it felt good to actually be able to do that. I am determined to NOT be pushed by a therapist, I'm too strong-willed for that, but she was just perfect with me. I think later on after a rest I am going to practice using a cane. I have already been instructed how to do so, so no worries there.

I have lost track of time and thought my follow-up appt with OS was Tues but it's not until Wed. And, yep- I know it's just a day. But, dang if that didn't burst my bubble, lol... Oh well, be here before I know it, gotta get this zipper-track taken out of my thigh and keep on keeping on. I even thought about going to church in the morning, but wasnt sure if my insurance would be too happy about that, since I am still on Home Health. Way I see it, if I am allowed to go to the doc for physical health, I ought to be able to go see the Good Lord for spiritual health... Think I'm gonna!:SUNsmile: I love my new hip. For those of you still waiting, there is truly a better time coming for you.
 
You can do it, @psychteach , I know you can. Again, we are not all the same, and we all end up in this journey for different reasons and complications, but let me assure you, you can. We will all be here for you, don't know what I would have done without my Bonesmarties! When is your surgery?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom