THR Released- from the "Joint"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tired. Fatigued. Beat. Did I say tired...? When they say rest, DO it. I have felt fairly good today, but had a wall of fatigue hit me like a ton of bricks this afternoon that resulted in a 3 1/2 hr nap. And I'm still ready for bed. Strange how it comes in waves like that. But I'm gonna listen and REST. :sleep:
 
@glmrphy I know I am a little late with this comment, but just wanted to throw my 2 cents in as far as the constipation is concerned, maybe it will help someone else. I also used the milk of magnesia but I made a mistake which I think kept it from working the first time I took it. The bottle says to take with 8 ounces of water. I did that the second time I took it and got results in about 4-5 hours. Glad you are home and doing good. Sounds like you have got this!!

@Plumberbutt Those last few days before surgery are tough pain wise but your day is right around the corner!! Can't wait for your first post!!

@Dmcfad2 Glad you are doing so well!! Continue to keep us posted on how you are doing!

You all are doing great!! Hang in there, it does get better!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@mystikfairy61 , yep, the water with the MOM is crucial. I think that whatever is in the MOM is helped along by the water. Hope things are "moving along" more smoothly for you:friends:
 
One week Post Op. Doing very well, basically using my walker as an afterthought. Only thing is, I still have that slightly "stooped over" stance that I had gotten used to before. I am trying to concentrate on this as I walk, hoping my brain will re-train the gait. I am a little unsure of this as my lower spine issues and left hip are part of the problem in how I stand. This was a discussion I had with my PT. I am hoping that maybe we can take that into account and work around it.
 
I'm so excited....!:dancy: Been up and around this morning and the only pain I have had is my lower back (it's always stiff and painful when I first get up). My hip is awesome, just a residual tightness, but no pain. Not even soreness in the thigh! I feel like I have reached a milestone:) I do realize that I could still have aches and pain, but oh, my goodness, what a great feeling! To all those who are waiting and all those beginning their recovery, hang in there... the day is coming! I also feel like I am ready for a cane, but will wait for doc to issue that order. So happy:egypdance:!!!
 
Today the Home Health nurse finally showed up and she was nice, not sure I really need her, but will allow it. PT still didnt come, supposed to be scheduled for home health PT 3 x a week and she will not be here but tmmrrw, thurs and friday. I am going to see what all she does, and if it's the same thing I am doing on my own, with no additions or progression, I think I can def do without her. I just didnt feel like it was okay to wait 5 days in between sessions, you know? I am sure my doc will be writing a script for outpatient PT next week. Will have to see.

Overall, a great day, some family came to sit with me while DH ran to store for groceries and we watched it snow through the window and talked and talked. Some mild achiness deep in the hip today, but muscles seem to be healing wonderfully. Funny thing, tho... yesterday I had a problem with this, and again early this morning, and I just wanted to share in case anyone other females deal with it...:giggle: The bedside toilet that we ordered is actually set up over our regular commode. Everything has worked great ( I am tall, so just a little adjusting was needed so I didn't have to stoop too far). Then, yesterday morning, I get up, first morning pee... sit down, ahh, all good, then I get up and to my horror see a half gallon of my urine all over the floor! I hollered for my DH, he cleans it up, we are puzzled, why did that happen now? So he re-adjusts, things seem fine, change my clothes, mop, mop. Later, thinking it was all fixed, go again, let it loose, hear the sound of it hitting the water, get up... halfway to getting into a stance, the darn puddle is back! :shocked: With GREAT patience (along with a long sigh) DH cleans up again, I get teary eyed, thinking, geez, I cant even pee right. He does the whole re-adjust, I am careful the rest of the day. All is well. This morning, same thing, sit down, do the deal, and BEFORE I stand, I see the puddle again. I laid my head forward on my walker. I soooo did not want to tell my husband. But, again, I hollered. Mortified. He is sweet, frustrated, what the heck, he says, is wrong with this thing, are you bumping it with your walker... what? I had no words. So, we look at the other components to the bedside toilet and along with a bucket (we were getting ready to just put the bucket on it, but...) was a sleeve. That conveniently slips down and into your toilet bowl. That allows your *ahem* "stream" to hit the sides and roll on into where it needs to be. I said, slap that sucker on there! And, bless his heart, he did. And I have since not had a small lake in the floor when going to the bathroom. What a good man I have married. And how I wish we had found that sleeve sooner....:heehee:
 
Great story!! Glad you found the 'sleeve' at long last! These long suffering hubbies.....we are soooo lucky to have them...mind you those 'long sighs' and the raised eyebrows' do seem to feature quite heavily in the recovery!! Keep up the good work...you are doing so well. Chrissie xx
 
Thanks, @Hoppy Nanny , I have to see the humor in some of this even though I was mortified beyond belief. I am so used to being the caretaker that it's hard for me to give up that control, but my DH has been absolutely amazing. But he had gotten to where it bothered him so to see me walk in pain (before THR) that he knew this was inevitable and he seem determined to help me any way he can. That is a true blessing. I know not everyone has that, so it humbles me somewhat.... but after the third time with the "small pond" in the floor, I figured I should laugh at it and share:)
 
My best memory was of my hubby shaving my legs whilst I was standing in the buff, in the shower...he too had to be in the nude as he needed to wash off my legs each time....and then my dear youngest daughter let herself in the front door as she had come to see us......and our shower room is downstairs !!!!.what a sight her mum and dad looked....we did have a good laugh about it afterwards. The indignities of our recoveries !!! Yes, you are right @glymrphy we are used to be the ' caretakers' which makes it doubly hard to be in receipt of it. Xxx
 
Day 8, post -op has been fairly uneventful except for a horrible cramp, deep in the hip, about 4 am then again early morning. Had to do whatever I could to get out of that position so it would ease. I gave in and took a dose of pain meds. PT said to realize that it's like a roller coaster, good days, bad days, etc. All in all, I seriously can not complain. The cramp resulted in a sore right buttock, but I have ice going. PT felt I was walking with a lot of strength and was encouraged by my progress. Ultimately, what got the cramp to go away was getting up and actually walking. Eased up right away.

Thinking of you all, reading all your recoveries and getting stronger everyday. For those of you still waiting for you "hip" day, I offer encouragement to you, as well.
 
Had to chuckle at your puddle story (and Hoppy Nanny's shaving story) - anyway glad you're doing so well and that your cramp is gone! And thank you for the encouragement for us pre-hippies - it means so much!
 
@glmrphy Hi! Wanted to tell you that the MOM with a full glass of water worked for me, finally. Last night was the first comfortable time I have had and I seem to be past the painful constipation. Hallelujah!
I read your updates with interest because I seem to be mimicking your day by day journey. I understand the tiredness! Today I am 6 days post op and am getting around quite well. The pain seems to be lessening. I woke up this morning feeling pretty good.
 
@glmrphy Thank you for sharing the toilet story. I am certain that will help some of us! ha!
You are doing very well in your recovery, and I know you are happy!

@Hoppy Nanny your shaving story was very cute, too. Both of you are very lucky and loved!
 
@Dmcfad2 , so glad you got comfortable results! Glad your recovery is moving along, as well:)
@MajorHeidi , just remember the sleeve!:wink:
@MsFit1 , gotta share the giggles :heehee: and @Hoppy Nanny , you got me going with the shaving story! You all are the best... Thanks for this group of great people!
 
@Hoppy Nanny I was lucky as well. My DH would do my legs for me. Which was very nice since I couldn't get to them myself. I have also gotten to the point that I can put my own shoes and socks on again for the first time in over 2 years, it is sooooo nice!!
@MajorHeidi I too had the puddle, had to laugh since I had been there as well.
@glmrphy @Dmcfad2 Sounds like you two are doing fantastic!! Keep up the good work!!
 
@MajorHeidi. Won't be too long until we are reading the glorious details of your recovery ....I bet you can't wait to get it over with now. I'm glad you found BS before your THR..it so helps. I didn't find it until I was about 7 weeks post op. I found it so relieved all my anxieties reading everyone's post op threads. Take care. Chrissie xx
 
This morning I managed to get up without help from DH (he was all, why didnt you say something? lol) ... I must admit, he has spoiled me! Don't get me wrong, I have already been able to get up and down on my own, but mornings are usually tough with my lower spine issue. Was very proud of myself.

I want to just say... I am a very impatient person. I have a very demanding job (60-70 hrs a week). I am the boss and I am used to delegating on a daily basis to make sure things run smoothly. So, when something like this happens and you are reliant upon others or in your mind, you know you want to get something done, but you are physically too weak... well, that's HARD. BUT... after a few days, I began to say to myself, look, you did this bc you were in misery. Bc you couldnt even walk/stand straight. Bc your daily life was affected with pain. That's when I had to start thinking in an all new direction.

So, now... milestones. Silly as they might be to others, you all know what im talking about. Like taking a step without pain. Like getting up from the toilet without grabbing onto something first. Like being able to put a sock on. Or going up a step without pushing the rail with all your might. Or, AFTER surgery... catheter finally out, using the walker, then without thinking, you've let go for a moment. Or how your PT is easier today than it was two days ago. Milestones. The small, seemingly insignificant steps that others take for granted- but we cherish.

Having said all that, just wanted you all to know how hard that was for me. For all of us. It's kinda like we have to give up some control to regain a lot more. But in milestones. Creep. Creep. Small steps. Then, when you look back at your day before surgery and realize you are at your 9th day post op (like me today), make very sure you count your milestones. I have just found that is what matters most to me. It's how I have valued my journey...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom