Guest viewing is limited

THR Released- from the "Joint"

Status
Not open for further replies.
First night home, only woke up once for pain meds. Waiting to hear from home health, they said they would be here today. Wondering if I should wait to hear from them or go ahead and do my first set of PT excercises now. I know I have to do at least one set without them, but I dont want to do it then they call and say they are on their way, lol.. Think I will drink my first cup of coffee and just enjoy being home for a little bit before I decide. Took a while last night to "make my nest" with pillows and such. Every position I got into seemed fine at first then about twenty mins later I was asking my sweet DH to run and help me re-arrange. I am navagating my house quite well, we have a den that has a bathroom off to the side and that is the one I am using right now. I had gotten used to the recliner at the hospital (it has higher arms) and mine are lower, so I had to adjust how I sit, but all in all, I can't complain. Only thing is, it wasnt until we got home that we realized that the doc had not included a script for mild muscle relaxer for my back. He must have forgotten. Will see how I do today before I call on that one.

I got to see my incision (nurses always change dressing before patient leaves hostpital there) and it is quite a clean one! I was shocked at how good it looked, hardly any redness and staples were nice and tight. Nurse and I figured there were anywhere from 20-25 staples, but remember, they are very close together, so the incision isnt as long as one might think with that many. Smalll hole healing in mid-thigh where the drain tube had been. Some bruising in the thigh, but, all in all, I was impressed at how good it looked. They told me to wear my compression stockings until I see the doc (April 2nd) but I can take them off for up to 45 mins a day if I want.

Just an update, thanks for all the encouragement and advice, sure hope someone else might glean something from my experience as I know others here sure have been helpful to me. One good thing about being off is, I don't have to miss March Madness, lol! I am in KY and have been a huge UK fan since I was a kid, so watching the brackets wind down will be one of the ways I while the time.

Till later!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So glad you are home, safe & sound @glmrphy. There is nowhere like home when you need to recover properly. So glad that the pain has lessened..the first 2/3 days are the worst. The incision sounds like it's just perfect...it's amazing how good it is when you consider what they do in there.....!! Do take it easy...ice and nap...oh and take all the meds you need to! Great to read about your recovery...you are so right....it really does help those that follow!!! Looking forward yo the next instalment !! Take care ..Chrissie xxx
 
@glmrphy Glad you are at home , in the recliner, and that you timed this thing just right to be able to maximize
your March Madness viewing. LOL
 
Now I have a couple questions... first, what about constipation? I have not "gone" (for lack of a better word) since day before surgery. Home nurse is concerned. They gave me stool softeners and last day some milk of magnesia. Nothing. Home nurse described a vile concotion of prune juice, M.O.M., hershey's syrup, heat in microwave and see results in 45 mins. Ahem. She called this the "Brown Bomb". Sounds, well... GROSS. But I also don't want the added problem of constipation. I also don't want to seem to eat as much as I usually do and am sure this has something to do with it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Second... I am a firm believer in the Bonesmart Mantra of elevate, ice, rest. However, I keep getting told by medical staff that they dont want me to elevate. So I have spent some time today in my recliner, sitting with legs and hips fairly straight. But after awhile, I am ready to lie back and prop my leg. Anyone else had medical staff tell you this? Doesnt make sense to me. I've had a bloodclot in the past, and dont ever want to go through that again, so I am very conscious of doing the right things to prevent. They also sent me home with the Lovenox injections (something I had done before, so no big shock there). So why wouldn't they want to have your leg elevated?

Then I am told different things about my incision. Was told to keep loosely covered with gauze. Home health nurse checked it today (btw, 27 staples) and she did not want to cover it back up. I told her I would feel better if it were loosely protected and she complied, but why all the darn inconsistencies on this stuff?

So, right now, after two visits from home health today (PT, then Nurse) I am ready to relax. I elevated my leg and I have ice going. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated from my fellow hipsters!
 
That constipation was truly the worst week of my whole recovery...it hurt more than my hip!! The brown bomb sounds like it may do the trick..if it were me...I'd go for it! The trouble is the meds, lack of food ( cos you're not hungry) and lack of exercise all conspire
to bung you up. You will feel so much better when you have 'gone'! Hope it works.
I was never told to ice or elevate by the hospital until I came on BS and found out and it changed my recovery......for the better. Can't understand why they told you not too....I too have had DVT/PE but found that after I had mobilised the only thing I wanted to do was put my feet up on the bed.....you are taking blood thinners.....personally It seems like nonsense...you need to rest, ice and elevate to control the swelling and pain....sitting with your legs straight down would surely pose more of a problem ? I'm sure someone more qualified than me will also jump in here.
My incision was covered completely until I had my staples out by a silver waterproof dressing....I would think it better to keep it covered personally. Take care....Chrissie xxx
 
Thanks, @Hoppy Nanny , I did try to look at the link for constipation on here, but it gives me an error message. I personally don't feel constipated, but the nurse was concerned, understandably. Think I will try more stool softeners and milk of magnesia, see if that will get things moving. I also have some bran cereal that usually helps. Might give that a try also. :)
 
@glmrphy I find it hilarious that you have had and I too am having hip replacement surgeries and our main worry is about POOPING!!! :loll: I am a Plumber and #2 IS my "business", but this is a major surgery and the "GO" is what we worry about!! They first have me take Iron...then warn me to get stool softener. Next they want me to start Fiber supplement, NOW I'm worried about what THAT will do to my system. WTH....all this worry about the "GO". Good luck and hope you look at it and find it as funny as I do!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
From my personal experience I would say don't wait any longer to start seriously addressing your constipation issue. I didn't go until the 5th day after surgery, and believe me, you don't want to go there. Take your fiber supplement several times a day. Take you stool softener twice a day. Drink fluids until you don't think you can hold any more. The problem is that the longer it takes, the more compacted your stool gets, so the more difficult it is to pass (and the more painful). This was what my doctor prescribed and it finally worked, but only after also taking a laxative and many painful moments.
 
@birdlady , I agree. I had my parents pick me up some things to help along. If I don't move by tomorrow, I'm going to call nurse .. I had major surgery several years ago and Milk of Magnesia was a life saver for me. They game me a couple doses in the hospital, but I am trying it at home, too. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!
 
I, too, have not gone since the day before my surgery, so this is day three. I do seem to have a lot of gas, though. I'm hoping things are moving around in there! Maybe by tomorrow morning. I am taking stool softeners. My journey has been similar to yours. I agree the post surgical pain is no fun. But, it seems to get better day by day, sometimes even by the hour. I had a lot of pain walking this morning, and less by my afternoon session. I am thinking tomorrow will be even better!
 
@Dmcfad2 I finally had success this morning. For me, I added another stool softener (total of two per day) and last evening took another dose of Milk of Magnesia. the M.O.M. made things a lot easier. I had no pain and was almost cheering, lol, when it happened! @Plumberbutt I figured you would get a kick outta that one, :heehee: You know, being in the business of taking care of clogs and all...

Other than that, this morning I seemed to be a tad more stiff than the last couple days. No home health today, but I am very disciplined and will have my DH help with my PT. Was overwhelmed with exhaustion last night, very profound. But did get some rest.

Hangin' in there.
 
Sounds like you are doing very well @glmrphy ! BTW - many will look at you like you are from Mars when you mention ice and elevation. But it is a tried and tested mantra. Anything to keep the swelling reduced will help you with your pain levels.
 
@glmrphy, You should feel exhausted. Listen to your body...it's the one in charge now. You are doing wonderfully! You will have good days & bad.
I am coming up on 1 yr for my right hip and 5 months for my left hip and I still ice. I get wonderful relief from ice.
You take care.
Annie
 
@Josephine , I read in an old thread you had responded to about "fracture" blisters. I looked it up because I have a clear blister about two inches down from my incision and about the same from my drainage tube hole. It doesn't hurt because it's in an area that the skin is still numb, but worried me some. Thought it was from TED hose, but not near there. Should I cover it?
 
@glmrphy Well, I had success this afternoon, too, but it wasn't a breeze! I felt like I was having a baby. I was bathed in sweat by the time it was over LOL!
 
@Dmcfad2, sorry it was rough on you, but the occurrence is a definite sign of progress. How many of the stool softeners are you taking in a day's time? Might help it be a little easier if that were increased, call your doc first though, unless bottle says its ok.

I forgot to mention earlier that the pain meds are giving me bizarre dreams, I am taking Percocet, 1 pill every 3-4 hrs as needed. I am sure we all have different reactions, but wasn't expecting that one. Today was also a "down" day for me, just a little depressed, something I expected. Nothing a good movie wont take care of.
 
I am still in the hospital and they are giving me one stool softener a day. I go home tomorrow. I'll ask my doctor if I can have 2 a day. Sorry you are feeling down. I am expecting that at some point, too. Keep hanging in there. I'm rooting for you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom