THR Released- from the "Joint"

Status
Not open for further replies.
@glmrphy My OS told me I would be going home the very next day, and I almost fell on the floor. He then
put a shocked look on his face... :sick::shrug:
I second @fulafoto that you have given us good advice to think about. Thank You! :friends:
 
Thank you for posting your experience, @glmrphy ! So glad you're getting your post-op pain under control, and best wishes for your continued improvement every day! :)
 
Have had two sessions of PT at the hospital. Second was easier than the first which is encouraging. Getting a little faster with the walker. This afternoon is when my PT pointed out to me that I was pointing my foot slightly inward (prob from the limp I had developed) and had me concentrate on pointing my foot straight forward. It wasn't until I was on my way back with the walker that I really could tell there was no joint pain. Up until then I had been concentrating on the muscle pain in the thigh. I still have back pain, but that is from my back. But so far the "broken glass for a hip" pain is gone. Nurse do tell me earlier that my red blood cell count is below normal, so they gave me a shot to boost the cells so that I don't need blood transfusion. Will know more by morning. Also met with the home health agency rep and she is arranging things accordingly. My only concern is that we have a gravel sidewalk and several steps leading onto our deck. PT said he would show me how to navigate the stairs and that instead if rolling the walker on the gravel, I wld have to lift it. So my hubby is calling for.a friend to meet us at the house so I can have someone on either side for safety. That's my update for now, thanks for all your words of encouragement, it means the world to me!
 
@Plumberbutt , I want to chronicle this journey to help others who might need encouragement. That's what I got from reading the other posts before my surgery (this goes to ALL of you, too many to mention!) but I want to be honest about the whole journey, good and bad. There is more info to be gleaned from others who have experienced it. But I am also a firm believer in being your OWN advocate. No one knows ours bodies better than we do. I already know that my other hip will need it also, as there is already a small amount of AVN there as well. My mantra is: face it, knowing it will be hard, but not a challenge that will defeat you. Daily work and attitude are key, and my determination is so strong... Well, I know I got this! As do we all. :yes!:
 
I too was told I have AVN in both hips, but my right one is not bothering "yet". Kinda sucks knowing it is probably going to be the same pain and "fix" for the other one too!! Keep up the great attitude!!! You are doing GREAT!!
 
I love your attitude. I'm a firm believer that that is more than half the battle. It's also great the you have understanding people looking after you in the hospital. Once you get home you will be more in charge of your own recovery, and then it's important to be kind to your body and not try to do too much too soon. It's easy to start feeling like you don't want to be a burden on your caregiver, but you have to put that aside and accept help when it's needed. You're off to a good start.
 
Glmrphy it sounds like you really have a handle on this! Keep it up and keep feeling better!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
 
I am glad you are doing well with PT, and will go home tomorrow.
Your DH is nice to call up a friend to help so you feel safe with someone on each side.
That's sweet of him.
 
Doc just came in. Yesterday I was not awake until he walked in so I didn't get to ask him any questions. So today I woke up early so my brain was functioning. I had a small setback last night. While doing some of the excercises that PT told us to do while in bed, my back went into spasms. Doc is aware I have arthritis in bottom of spine. Nurse told me to top doing them. When doc got here this morning, he said he didn't like the way I was laying in the bed so I explained to him about the need to prop myself than way to keep spasms at bay. He is going to give me mild muscle relaxers to take for a few days. Now, on to the questions I had for him:

1. Tell what it was like in there? (The joint)... (Remember I have avn, bone death AND arthritis) he said that when he "opened the joint" there was a lot of fluid that spilled out. The cartilage was deteriorated and the (something than starts with an "L", lamineer, someone help me on this, please!) was shredded and most importantly, the femoral head was "soft and "mushy", meaning it had collapsed. He sent the head off for biopsy.
If you all remember, a few days befor my surgery I told you about a moment where in had turned and in great pain, almost went down. Prior to that, xray had sad "without collapse" but it did, two days before the surgery. I asked about the avn in other hip (not as bad, tiny lesion) and he said if he we'd in Vegas placing a bet, he wld ya I needed another hip done on that side. We both agree to let that go and concentrate on the right hip for now.
So, I can go home today if I want but if back gets worse during PT I ca stay. Will update later.
 
Great update. Hope your back strategies help with the spasms. If you go home today, sounds like you have good plans in place. Keep up the good work!
 
Hi @glmrphy

Maybe your doc said you had a shredded "labrum"? It is suspected that I have a torn labrum on my "good side." I have heard people refer to them as being "shredded." It is quite painful, so that is just one more indication of how much better you'll feel when you recover now that that is taken care of!

Hope your back is feeling better and you can get some rest. Sounds like you are doing great!:)
 
Thanks @younghippie , you are right, it was the labrum! He said it was basically "shredded" from the femoral head being so irregular. I am going home in a little while, thank goodness. Am very tired. Plan on taking ice pack for the ride and my walker and bedside toilet have been delivered, so I'm good to go. Walking better every day, so happy I did this. Encouragement to all those recovering and all those still waiting. I will be dancing before we know it!! :egypdance:
 
@glmrphy Safe journey home! Good idea about the muscle relaxers. I had the same problem and had staff running for ice for my back. Agony!

Don't forget the mantra when you get home - rest, ice, elevate, meds and repeat.
 
@glmrphy it is great knowing when the doctor tells you about your hip that you now know you weren't just imagining something...just the fact that you know just how bad it was and that you are now fixed. Love the part about dancing in no time!!! GREAT job!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom