Guest viewing is limited

THR Released- from the "Joint"

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fortunate "miss" @glmrphy ! I haven't see what a deer can do to a car, but have seen the effect of a wild boar.... let's just say the boar was able to run off and the car was a wreck. lol
Same with a deer, and I drive an SUV. I have seen then go through the windshield, too. They are very prominent here. I am usually very careful, but this one came out of nowhere.
 
@glmrphy So glad you missed the deer! I hit one when I was a young mother with 2 babies in the car and it went up and over my windshield, landing on the other side, then got up and ran. My car was a total disaster afterwards. That must have scared you to death. Glad the hip withstood that quick movement!
It did scare me. If I had made impact, I probably would have driven straight to my doc for xrays, lol. I knew a 16 yr old who had just gotten her license THAT week- she hit a buck and his antlers came through the windshield and barely missed her face. She would not drive for a long time. Understandably, being a new driver. This one had a friend that crossed in front of me first, so I feel like that gave me the split second to lift my foot off the gas to miss him. Then his buddy decided to go for it and I could count the hairs on his hide, I swear! :bolt:
 
Oh you are so blessed Gail!
We have so many deer in Va.
I hit one about five yrs ago. So scary...
Just the thought of what you endured gives me chills.
Hugs


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Yesterday was the longest day at work so far, 10 hrs, and even though I am worn to the bone tired, I still did so well. Did a lot more physical work, one employee said, let me do that Gail, I said, Why??? And they said, "Well... I don't know, just because..." LOL... I will not get a day off until Tuesday, hope I can make it!

I see my OS tomorrow for second follow-up visit. Have had a few twinges in my groin area and knee, and I know from reading on here, that is probably from doing too much. Not out of control, by any means. Will discuss it with him. All in all, I really cant complain. My job is hard, physically, so I expect some of that. It has certainly been better than I thought it would be. Best part is, it is relieved with rest and ice.

Hope everyone is doing well!
 
@glmrphy - That was a close call! Thank goodness you were able to avoid a collision and your hip suffered no mishap. Just goes to show that we can waste our time and sanity by borrowing trouble and worrying about things all day long - we just never know when trouble (or a deer) might cross our path. Hope the rest of your day was uneventful:)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I swear my brain is not functioning properly. Yesterday, I worked until 3:30 then I left to go to PT and when I got there (appt was at 4:30, or so I thought) they said all the PT's had gone home and that I had missed my appt, which they said was an hour earlier. Then, I thought my appt with my OS was this morning but late afternoon I got a confirmation call that said Monday (good thing I didn't show up for that one, too!) :rotfl: My only problem is, I had planned on getting a script for more medicine and I am out. So I had been waiting to see the OS today for that reason. Will call them in a bit, but I have doubts as to whether I can get it today. Been dealing with a lot since going back to work Monday and I think I am trying to "fit in" all the appts and got them rattled around.

Other than brain malfunction, I am okay. Really tired. I have blisters on my feet which is weird bc I wore the same shoes before. My only thought on that is, now that my gait is better, my feet need to catch up to the difference in how the shoes are being worn :eyebrows:
 
@bottomshollow , I totally agree! But the shoes my doc requests that I wear are $100 tennis shoes, New Balance with the Roll Bar (the ones I have already are shot). I have an issue in my right foot that requires this type of shoe, keeps the foot from "rolling" to the side when walking and to make matters more complicated, there is only one place in the state of KY that sells them and it's 60 miles away! I will be getting them, no doubt about that, just gotta work a cpl more weeks to make it happen. Gotta have happy feet! :wink:
 
@VF, thank you, but they don't have them, I already tried. I had to call the company, New Balance, to find the closest place to get them, and it is a sports shoe store in the west end of Louisville. When my doc told me to get them, I called and called, surfed the web, no one had them bc they are a specialized shoe. Luckily the company was able to hook me up with Swag's Sports Shoes in Louisville, I just need to go get them... Thanks! :friends:
 
@glmrphy I read somewhere on this site that you usually need to get new shoes after you have hip surgery because you no longer walk the same and your old shoes have adjusted to your old gait pattern. I haven't gotten any new shoes yet. Still wearing my Nike's when I take my walks, but they were still pretty new when I had surgery, so I don't think I need to replace them.

I am still struggling to walk straight and tall. I am definitely coming along, but don't feel comfortable without my cane yet. I can't wait until I can ditch it! I did lose it last night and found it inside my closet!

Oh, I called yesterday for a refill on my meds and they immediately okayed it and it was ready within the hour, hoping you have that kind of luck so you don't have to go all weekend without. I am doing much better, only taking 1/2 in the morning, afternoon and again at night. However, I woke up last night with some pain in my thigh, so I took 1/2 in the middle of the night. I haven't had to do that in 2 weeks! I guess it depends on activity level. I did a lot of PT stretches yesterday. My hip complained. But, my ROM is slowly getting better!
 
@Dmcfad2 , good to hear your ROM is getting better! And I did get my medicine today :) even though I had to rush to get there before going to work. I know you want to ditch your cane, but I promise you, the time is coming.

And @MajorHeidi , I don't know about a machine, but I can tell you that I guess I am "bionic", lol...

Today was great! I walk so much at work, and as I do this, it is in my mind how I can walk without pain and actually have my leg do a full "follow through" when taking steps. I push, pull and lift and run around crazy, trying to wait on my customers. Feels great to work without pain!
 
What a super post.
I've just posted my update on thread 'day1', & I'm having days of discomfort & feel low on those days, but you're right, 'little steps' & all the little (but significant) milestones need to be acknowledged!!
I'm going to think differently about things from now, slowly does it - it's a marathon, not a sprint.
Thanks!
& good luck to you - sounds like you're doing brilliantly x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Slow and steady and its a marathon not a sprint was a mantra given to me by a very dear BS friend in my early days of recovery... Two years on I still practice it..
 
Poppet, I know you are right. It's so tough with my job, I have a salaried position and right now my store is needing some catching up (result of me being gone on leave), it is hard not to do all I am doing. Very high volume. But, I can tell you that I am resting and icing when I am able. My company will not allow someone on FMLA leave to come back until doc says you are at 100%, meaning able to perform all job duties. My DH has cancer and cannot work. So I kind of dont have a choice. It's where we get the benefits. I wish I could have been able to take a longer leave, but that's not possible. Since my doc said I could perform all job duties (i was very honest when I described them to him), it was time to go back. Luckily, my staff understands and fusses at me, too, lol... Having said all that, I am very pleased with my new hip and how it has responded to all the physical challenges it has faced. I do feel as if my PT has helped me get here. I could see that happening everyday.

@Michelle1976 , yes, milestones are vital to this process, I believe. They helped me see the little things as large leaps in recovery!
 
2nd post op appt this morning. Talked to him about the swelling and he examined me and pronounced bursitis. Decided to have me take Tramadol during the day and Norco at night. Told me to give myself permission to rest every two hours at work. Recommened massage and told me that the swelling could be around for 6 mos to a year. I can deal with that, just wanted to make sure I wasnt hurting myself. Gave me a list of excercises to help and is going to let my PT know, also. Will rest and ice more at work. Wish I didn't have to work. I guess it is what it is. Will see him again in six weeks.

Something that is helping me, I went and purchased a soft pair of slacks in a larger size. The swelling was causing the pant leg on that side to be uncomfortable. This should certainly help.
 
Forgot to add this question to my last post, @Josephine - doc is having me take 50 mg Tramadol during the day and Norco in morning and at night. My question is, I know that the Norco has tylenol in it.. I was sometimes adding a 325 MG tylenol to the Norco that had 325 mg tylenol already in it. (mostly with half a dose) but was wondering, am I able to do the same with the Tramadol? I didn't think to ask the doc, so sorry if this is a question that has been posted already. Thank you!
 
@glmrphy Gail, I still have significant swelling in my thigh, knee and calf. It is noticeable just looking in the mirror and sore. I am seeing the doc on Wednesday, so I will ask him about bursitis. Thanks for the post.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom