Guest viewing is limited

THR Released- from the "Joint"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, @Dmcfad2 , this swelling is up further, almost near the waist but not quite. Near the Greater T. That is where the bursitis occurs, I think. But the other swelling he said was normal. Hope that helps!
 
Oh, okay. I will be happy when this thigh and calf swelling are gone! I tried on my jeans yesterday and the left leg was so uncomfortable, I went back to my yoga pants. Thank God for spandex.
 
am I able to do the same with the Tramadol?
Oh for sure! Tramadol and Tylenol go together excellently. Personally, I'd use the Tramadol all the time and forget the Norco.

Here was my routine for pain meds though I did have a knee not a hip!
(For paracetamol read Tyenol!)

[Bonesmart.org] Released- from the "Joint"
 
Greater Trochanteric Bursitis... is painful. We are working with my PT to help the inflammation. It is agreed by doc and PT that it is caused, more than likely, by my working the hours that I am, on my feet, walking a lot, standing... :sorry: However, it can also be caused by my rheumatoid arthritis. PT did some great massage on it today, even though it was slightly painful, it also felt good, too. Weird, I know. The PT also told me to do "ice massage". Anyone ever heard of this...? He told me to take a styrofoam cup, fill with water and freeze it. Then take the first inch or so of styrofoam off and massage the area where the Greater Trochanter is in a circular motion. What got me is, I am to do this with the ice on the bare skin for no longer than 5 minutes each time. If the PT doesnt help this in six weeks, doc will give a steroid shot there.

I know that everyone will tell me, rest, you are doing too much. I wish I could. I want you all to understand that I had to go back to work, I am the only income and provide the insurance. My DH is chronically sick with a slow growing cancer and cannot work anymore. His meds are extremely expensive without insurance. And my company would not let me come back from FMLA leave unless I could perform all job duties 100%. I know some of you think I am crazy, but there it is. I get one day off a week, if I am lucky. I had a frank discussion with my doc about this. I asked him if I was hurting myself, and he said the joint would be fine, and they could treat the bursitis. But wanted you all to be aware of such a thing, esp in doing too much. My PT is wonderful, very concerned, and not at all objecting to changing his treatment for me to address this new issue.

Anyone else ever have this bursitis? I was told today that it has a tendency to linger. Would like some feedback from anyone who has dealt with it. Having said all that, even admitting that this is painful, it is still better than my old hip.
 
Gail, so sorry you are dealing with this. I read that it is common after hip surgery. And quite painful. Of course your work schedule isn't helping any. We do what we have to do. It sounds like your PT and doctor are working with you to help as much as possible. Hopefully someone with experience can answer your questions.
 
Oh, dear friends, I went to my nephew's wedding today! Challenges I faced were: pantyhose, shopping for an outfit and shoes that wouldnt make me twist an ankle, therefore, hurting my hip. With my hours at work I waited until the day before to shop (I don't recommend that, new hip or not, lol) and then when I got home I realized the only shoes I had to go with the new outfit were 4 inch heels. I could just envision myself tottering around and falling, esp since the wedding was outside in a grassy courtyard. So, I headed back out this morning to purchase shoes, which took me 5 stores to find (whatever happened to regular, low heeled pumps???) Then, when getting dressed, I pulled the pantyhose out (I know all you women can relate) and the thought comes to my mind that I was insane trying to even think about pulling on those hose with my still-swollen thigh and hip. I did it though, with a lot of grunting and sticking my tongue out of the side of my mouth :hairpulling: for extra emphasis!

In all seriousness... I got the pantyhose on. Now, what a feat! When just a few short weeks ago I couldnt even get my own sock on! :happydance: And, even though the shoes began to bother me later on, my hip did great with those, too. DH was not feeling well, so we left early, but before leaving the reception, my nephew's new wife told me that my nephew was so excited when I RSVP'd the wedding bc he knew I had surgery and might not be able to come. Made me feel good!

I am still struggling with the bursitis, but managing it. I know I have not said much on here, lately, but I do read the posts when I have time. I know we seem to have a recent group of new hippies, too, congrats to those who have made it to recovery! :friends:
 
Glad to see things progressing for you. I'm hoping the bursitis gets better for you soon! I don't think I could get pantyhose on because I still can't reach my left foot. I tried putting on my socks this morning, but no go. Oh, well. It gives me something to look forward to!
 
I still need help getting right ted off.
Gail, glad you went to wedding and had a good time. I hope your greater t. Gets better quickly.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Been a while since I posted. It has been two months since my surgery. I have been working non stop, issues with staffing, but I have handled it well. My PT says that my physical therapy is from my work, which is true. I am able to crouch down all the way with no pain. The bursitis I had is all but gone, I don't even ice anymore and pain meds are an afterthought. I would never recommend anyone doing what I did, going back to work after just 5 weeks, but I have been okay. My physical stamina is much better, too.

My left hip has been bothering, some. There is a small amount of AVN there, too, so I get worried about that. Not bothering all the time, but I recognized the same kind of pain. Saddens me a little, but I don't dwell there too long. Glad to see all the newbies in recovery, hope all is going well, will update after my next OS visit.
 
@glmurphy
Gail, You are amazing working and getting on with things. Wow!
You really are a machine!
I hope your left hip holds out forever, and feels better for you soon.
You are a great example of a positive success for THR....
 
@glmrphy What a fantastic report. Happy to hear you are doing better. I hope your other hip hold out for a long time. Unfortunately, both of mine have got to go. My BTHR is on June 3rd. The day can't get here soon enough. I am so done with all this pain. I look forward to your future updates.
 
Hey, gang..... in a couple of days I will mark the 3rd month since my RTHR. Things are going well, esp since I decided to leave my job. Was working 60-70 hr weeks and had had several talks with my boss about demoting me to an hourly position (this would allow me to work 35-40 hrs a week) and he never took me seriously. Kept having to go in when people called in and was offered no help, so I decided it was time for me to go. Had developed (as some of you might remember) bursitis in that hip and doc told me it was definitely from overuse. I don't know about everyone else, but I certainly didn't have this surgery only to have it complicated by what could turn into chronic bursitis. Stressful, as it meant letting go of benefits, but I was able to go out and get another job within 10 days. Much better fit for me. I start there next week.

Hip is doing great, the last two weeks rest has allowed the swelling to subside considerably. Most of the time I walk around without thinking about the fact that I have had it replaced. When I talked to OS about my worries about the other hip, he felt like the pain I was experiencing on that side was from inflammation of the SI joint (I have had this before) and that we would just keep an eye on the left hip to see what happens with the small lesion of AVN there.

Will try to catch up on some posts here and keep everyone in the loop as my continued recovery moves on. Best of luck to all, so glad I did this, a life changer for sure!
 
Thanks for the update @glmarphy! As someone at the beginning of my recovery it's really nice when we get a window into the future of where I might be in a few months. Congrats on the new job as well - I'm sure it will be a new lease on life not being stressed by work with all of those hours!


Sharri -LTHR May 28th 2014 13 inch incision on side
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Gail @glmrphy glad to get your update here!
It sounds like you sure did a sensible thing by letting go of your previous job, and getting a new one
so quickly. Well done!
Continue along with your great success; all the best!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom